View Full Version : Your monthly take home divided by BigMac cost...

SniperPilot
9th Jul 2001, 05:06
Several posters in the Dunnunda forum claim that Qantas and Ansett crews are among the lowest paid airline crew in the world! Quite frankly I am not convinced. As you well know a direct comparison of numbers between countries is fairly meaningless, but if you divide monthly take home income by the local cost of a BigMac it would give a general idea of how far your income will go. Of course this isn't an exact science and it is pointless to try and compare benefits, pension schemes, leave etc but it does give an idea what purchasing power your income has.

So I would be interested if some pilots from various parts of the world posted the ratio between their monthly take home pay / Local BigMac cost. It would be interesting to see the claims of these Australian Pilots have any truth to them. Also it would be useful to state AC type flown, type of operation, country of Domicile etc. etc.

Techman
9th Jul 2001, 05:29
You want fries with that?.

Techman http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/angel3.gif

Boss Raptor
9th Jul 2001, 21:48
I have found aerosol cans of spray starch to be a remarkably stable and accurate indicator as to cost of living across several continents - and UK is always most expensive by up to 50%!

Flap 5
11th Jul 2001, 11:33
Where the Big Mac theory breaks down is that the cheapest Big Mac's I have come across have been in Hong Kong, but the cost of living is one of the highest there. So it doesn't always work.

only1leftmate!
12th Jul 2001, 00:09
Also, if you buy your Big Macs in Germany you have to pay extra for the tomato ketchup! :(

gurnzee
13th Jul 2001, 13:33
sorry i dont speak english, can someone convert that to BK Whopper speak!