PDA

View Full Version : Best flying school in SA??

BJ HAWK
6th Sep 2007, 18:40
Hi thr people...

I am from India and I need to know about some gud schools in SA, it would be gud if they r in accordance with the DGCA(Indian civil aviation body).
I also need to know how far the SACAA recogonised after the JAA FAA Austr.. etc??

Plz do send in ur comments....

CHEERS
BJ HAWK!!

BJ HAWK
7th Sep 2007, 04:17
Thanx suitecaseman... I do agree wit ur point... do ya people have any views about Algoa and some other schools in Durban??

hoendertjie
7th Sep 2007, 06:11
BJ Hawk, i do not agree on the sausage factories not being good. I went to one myself and was very happy with the establishment.

There are indeed schools in SA offering JAR and other licences, specifically 43 Air School in Port Alfred.

Solid Rust Twotter
7th Sep 2007, 06:51
Everyone will come up with a school that suits them so your question is pretty pointless. Best bet for weather is the Highveld in the Southern winter as the skies are usually cloudless for around four or five months, although it does get pretty cold. Should help with your DA up on the Reef though...

Try schools at Wonderboom, Lanseria, Rand and Grand Central as they're all pretty central.

Solid Rust Twotter
7th Sep 2007, 10:01
Re original question, ie, BEST flying school....

BJ HAWK
9th Sep 2007, 10:59
alright guys do not debate on this issue,my question was pretty simple.. by the way I dont have anyone in south africa..but some known people of mine are studying over thr and a giving me a positive feedback,

Plzz do give ur comments on Lanseria flight school,learn to fly n others preferably those which r not in Jo'berg.

Regards
BJ HAWK !!

EladElap
9th Sep 2007, 16:04
Sorry BJ HAWK, i don't follow. Learn to fly and Lanseria flight school are both in Jo'burg, then you mention you want feed back about schools outside of Jo'burg.

By the by... Learn to fly and Lanseria flight school both A++ schools.

Solid Rust Twotter
9th Sep 2007, 16:23
Blue Chip Aviation and Pretoria Flying School at Wonderboom outside Pretoria. Should find websites if you Google them.

BJ HAWK
9th Sep 2007, 18:39
yeah just wanted to enquire about them..so wat opinions about tht ??

Contract Dog
10th Sep 2007, 07:50
APTRAC in Port Elizabeth is good

Dog

VarigMD11
10th Sep 2007, 12:15
Progress Flight Academy in Port Elizabeth. Own aerodrome, 5 minutes from IF training (compared to 43 who have to fly over half an hour to just do an ILS), brand new Warrior fleet + the newest traning twin in South Africa (2005 model Seminole) plus they have a fair weather base in the Karoo for PPL training.

TooBadSoSad
10th Sep 2007, 20:32
Check your private messages BJ Hawk

hightower313
19th Sep 2007, 12:16
Hi guys, I'm totally new to PPRUNE. I was looking at various routes to complete my CPL and SA was certainly the cheapest. What are the costs for transferring an ICAO license to one recognised by the CAA and is this route generally well recognised by the airlines ie does anyone actually land a job from SA as an airline pilot or is it just the Oxford and Flight Training Europe people?:}

777Contrail
20th Sep 2007, 13:56
Central Flying School Dunnotar.

Used to be the best in the world..............those were the days!

night_rider
26th Sep 2007, 18:52
I have been a part of a few flying school..... Though PPL, COMM, conversions..., Instructors , etc....

So I dont really care much for which one is best, but for me its a big like choosing a university.....

But if you want to be another number and get a comm in 12 months, go to 43!

If you want to enjoy a good lifestyle and get a Comm in 12-14 Months , go to www.vfs.co.za (http://www.vfs.co.za) <-- Very good vibe!

If you want to be in a big city and you need CAVOK all of the time go to a inland spot, dont waste your time on the coast!

Hope that helps!

NR

Woof etc
27th Sep 2007, 17:17
VarigMD11: I think you will find that Aeronav's Diamond twin delivered earlier this year is newer?

I would have a serious look at Progress flight academy - full time residential school with high standards but not as big as the sausage factory close by. Also has the advantage of a fair weather base for initial training. I would also have a look at Algoa - always gets a good rap.

alpha-b
27th Sep 2007, 22:41
Hi mates!

Progress is definitely a good bet very good and professional school,if u want 2 go inland i recommend you check Superior Pilot Services at grand-Central airport located in the terminal building inside pooleys very small schools with 3 to 4 aeroplanes but good quality training especially Instrument Rating,Flight training Services upstairs also located in Grand-Central is a very great school.The choice is yours

Jetstream_lover
29th Sep 2007, 07:27
Try Federal Air in Durban. Tel # +27 31 563 8020. Great School and with a great team.

Cheers

JL

congoman
29th Sep 2007, 10:33
Lots of Indians training in SA right now. One important issue to examine is whether the Indian CAA will credit all the experience gained on certain aircraft types flown in SA but not registered in India. There have been problems recently where they wont recognise experience gained on certain aircraft ie: Jabiru, TravelAire, Kitfox, Cubby, Apache and a host of other aircraft - as there are none of these aircraft registered on the Indain GA inventory. Some students have had to change aircraft types or schools because of this restriction at huge financial cost.
Hopefully the DGCA will ammend these restrictions in due course.
As regards training schools. A coastal school in SA would better suit the Indian student because weather conditions are vaguely similar to India. (But without the heat and humidity!) There's huge potential in the Indain Aviation industry. The airlines there are expanding at a phenomenal rate! Read the career chapter on www.flighttraining.co.za for additional advice.

cavortingcheetah
29th Sep 2007, 11:09
:hmm:

Actually, that's very sensible advice unless perhaps you include Himalayan flying as part of the Indian area of aviation.
Might be George way in November and, if so, might feel the necessity to drop in for the odd ruminatory reminisence.
:hmm:
Possibly some reflections to do with increased fuel burn on gear down F27 operations?

:)
cc

congoman
30th Sep 2007, 07:45
Good grief. Could you have been my cojo? I recognise the style! Only one man could complicate the English language that much! That was circa 1985 out of Lusaka for Gaberone. Pneumatics failure if I remember correctly. A2-ADG I think. We ferried her back empty. Used double the fuel burn to get back with all that drag. Remember you yelling down the HF to Mike Frost at SAFAIR.
Rod you've got to admit that flying in Africa gives you some of the best on the job training in the world! Survive Africa and you'll make it just about anywhere! And George is as close to Himilayan flying as you'll get in Africa :)
We've got to rehash those stories when you get down here. Great to hear you're alive and well! :)

cavortingcheetah
30th Sep 2007, 10:50
:)

Yebo!

September 4th, 1985, ADG, as I remember. It was the best training in the world down there, almost barnstorming days. The youth of today know not that what they lack in intelligence can never be compensated for by that which they deprive themselves in experience! One hundred and fifty hours and into the right hand jet seat indeed! Lucky for them it would be were it not become an expectoration tube.:yuk:
Perhaps see you George way in November? Alles van di thingymajig, you know, Afrikaans for complicated language, or should I say dialect?
:ooh:

skygold
21st Oct 2007, 10:49
Hi Hightower313

i am also new to the site and thinking in doing CPL in SA to cut cost and time. My aim is to convert it to a JAA licence to be able to work in UK.I am still doing research about what school to go so i will interseted if you have good revieus from any school.
I found this site www.uksa.co.uk (http://www.uksa.co.uk) by Irv Lee very useful about routes to the JAA flight Deck form a SA licence,and convertions of a SA licence into JAA.:ok:

Thanks

VarigMD11
22nd Oct 2007, 09:35
To Woof etc: Yeah your right, forgot about the Diamond, nice a/c that.