PDA

View Full Version : Engineering Colledge vs Apprenticeship

irabdlatib
6th Sep 2007, 11:56
I'm going to stay in Dubai by end of this year joining my family. I'm seriously looking forward for engineering training in Dubai. But I'm in dilemma whether to enroll to Emirates Aviation College (JAR147 approved) or to join Emirates as an engineering apprentice. Can an anybody advise please!. What will be the pros and cons with these 2 options. Someone told be that apprenticeship will be better since it provide more hands on and skillfull experience. But someone also had told me that college + OJT will be better since it's a systematic education on aircraft engineering theory and practices. Help me please coz I need to make decision very soon.

thanks

BAe146s make me cry
6th Sep 2007, 13:17
Although I'm not sure of the specific Emirates course(s) content - an apprenticeship in conjunction with acheiving the GCAA Basic Licence (or EASA Part 66 'B' AML) would be the one to go for.

The history thus far of a full 2 year JAR/EASA Part 66 course
(in the UK at least) is that academically you'll be prepared and
qualified but the practical experience requirement may
be somewhat lacking. This is troubling many newly qualified students
today. It may be different with Emirates - check!

One thing's for sure, the pay as an apprentice or trainee won't be brilliant but as you acquire and hone your skills/experience, pay, conditions and prospects certainly improve.

Good luck and do more research!

BAe146??? :{:{:{

irabdlatib
6th Sep 2007, 16:09
Thanks BAe,

The Emirates Engineering Apprenticeship programme will be of Two Years duration and will include 1 year of on the job training within Emirates Engineering. At the end of this Apprenticeship programme successful students will be absorbed into Emirates Engineering as Junior Aircraft Mechanics. The 12 modules covered under this Apprenticeship are as follows :

Maths, Physics, Basic Aerodynamics, Electrical Fundamentals, Digital Techniques, Materials and Hardware, Maintenance Practices.
Human Factors, Aviation Legislation, Aerodynamics, Structures and Systems, Gas Turbine Engines and Propellers.I believe it's pretty similar or close to the engineering college modules.

boshank
6th Sep 2007, 18:30
i have recently finished the EASA part 66 course, i have to say it was good but it did lack hands on experiance on relevant aircraft.

perhaps being with emirates will sort that problem out as far as practical goes on the course.

it would be perfect of they could combine the 2 really, get the best of both worlds. if you were to do the EASA course it may be worth asking if you could put in some hours with the licence guys at weekends or days off.

BAe146s make me cry
7th Sep 2007, 08:47
Irabdlatib

I truly hope it's been of help.

As Boshank has mentioned, the 2 year EASA Part 66 course is
the absolute minimum. The MRO industry demands far more so
at least the Emirates Apprenticeship will afford you academically
the B1.1 AML first off, then hopefully, solid On Job Training second.

Its a shame that it cannot all run concurrently, but as I've stated
in an previous thread, Part 66 is certainly about quantity, not quality.

Why else would you dispose of an oral examination for basic AML
issue?

Regards

BAe146???:{:{:{