PDA

View Full Version : 'Sea King Helicopter in Mercy Dash'

Heliport
5th Sep 2007, 22:46
From the Ipswich Evening Star
Sea King Helicopter in Mercy Dash

A SUFFOLK search and rescue helicopter was involved in an emergency mission today to fly an airman to see a sick relative.

An RAF helicopter crew from Wattisham Airfield flew to Stansted airport at 4.20am to collect an airman who had to make an emergency flight back from an RAF base in Cyprus when a close relative became very seriously ill in Middlesborough.

But the mission of mercy became more complicated when the helicopter was not permitted to enter or land at Stansted because of noise restrictions and the fact that the flight was not scheduled.

The Sea King was then forced to fly to Boreham Airfield, in Hertfordshire, and a taxi was summoned to collect the RAF airman from Stansted Airport to the awaiting helicopter.

The man was then able to board the Sea King at Boreham Airfield and travel back to his sick relative.

The helicopter arrived back at Wattisham Airfield at 9.40am.

Dave Webster, an RAF search and rescue force spokesman, said: “This mission is known as a compassionate flight, which is something that we do for service personnel if a family member is very seriously ill and we will pull out all the stops to make sure this person gets back safely and on time.”

SARCO
5th Sep 2007, 23:07
Nothing wrong with that i'm afraid is it known if the Rescue c/s was used?

If so it should not have been a problem.

6th Sep 2007, 06:19
The relatives usually have to be very ill indeed to qualify for a Comp A and use of a SAR asset.

I am sure the poor chap involved will have nothing but praise for the jobsworth attitude of Stanstead ATC - 'rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of fools'.

I think a little discretion could have been applied here - I just hope he got to see his relative.

Reflex
6th Sep 2007, 07:31
Don't blame Stansted ATC, they're switched on to helicopters, it's the BAA.

Stansted are very sensitive about noise and abide very strictly to the rules about night slots. No pre-arranged night slot = no landing.

Bullethead
6th Sep 2007, 07:55
Why was noise a problem, the flight that got the airman there from Cyprus must have landed shortly before the helo wanted to? :confused:

Bertie Thruster
6th Sep 2007, 08:06
Don't blame Stansted ATC, they're switched on to helicopters, it's the BAA.

....no, blame the individual ATC person on duty for not wanting to carry the can.

Lets hope time delay did not cause further grief to the family concerned.

Bet the 'rules' would have been 'overruled' if a night incident at Stanstead required rapid evacuation from a crash on the airfield.

..one hopes that this event might result in a compassionate rider to the night noise regs.......

Brilliant Stuff
6th Sep 2007, 10:58
That is the problem of "Today" no flexibility or experience to allow for the bending of the rules.