PDA

View Full Version : How long SSRI traces are traceable on Medical Exams?

MrOnigiri
5th Sep 2007, 22:03
Hi There!
I took my glider's licence 8 years ago, when I was 18, but only flew for the first year or so... recently I had some panic/anxiety episodes which led me to taking Cipralex (same as Lexpro) a SSRI. :ugh:
After feeling good for a year and a half now it's time to stop taking it... and I plan to go back flying in a few months if see I still feel ok without the drugs on me.
Anyways, I'll have to repeat my medicals and I was wondering for how long after I stop taking it will they detect SSRI substances in my urine? :confused:
My dream eventually is going for the ATPL one of these days...but I'm thinking baby steps now... first a PPL in Florida probably (which is cheaper than here in Europe) and then If I'm cool with it, go for the comercial :)
Many thanks for your answers!
Best Regards,
MrOnigiri

gingernut
5th Sep 2007, 22:18
I think I'd be more concerned with the traces on my medical record, rather than in my body. Be upfront with the AME MrOnigiri, you've got nothing to lose.:)

Saab Dastard
5th Sep 2007, 22:23
The half-life of most SSRIs is measured in hours, and at most days. Therefore they will be completely out of your system in days / weeks.

In the UK, the CAA requires a period of at least 3 months between ceasing anti-depressants and restoration / granting of a medical certificate.

Good luck with ceasing the SSRI - these things are known to provoke quite nasty withdrawal symptoms, depending on the individual, the specific drugs & dosage and the rate of cessation.

SD

MrOnigiri
5th Sep 2007, 22:30
While I was still taking SSRIs I made the very stupid mistake of taking the Class 2 exams to revalidate my Glider's Licence after my Psychiatrist told me they wouldn't find out! LOL (what a dumb man...)

Anyways they should know I was on SSRI's so... gingernut, in your opinion you think I should tell them the truth (as I had a chance not to...)

Will this be on my medical record? Can it be used against me in a future application to an airline? ( do they have access to this info?) I bet I'd be automatically disqualified for taking these kind of drugs once in my life...don't you? I mean... will I ever have the chance?

MrOnigiri

gingernut
5th Sep 2007, 22:47
Not sure how things work in Portugal, but the truth of the matter is that you will be detected either through your admission, your medical records, or through a post mortem tox screen should the worse happen.

Telling untruths is not the way forward, from the tone of your post, it sounds as if you agree.

I doubt that a medical examination in itself would pick op any signs of ssri useage.

It sounds like your anxiety / depression symptoms have improved, and it may be time to speak to your prescriber about gradually reducing your regime, and placing an alternative plan of care.

Don't stop your treatment suddenly, there is a chance that your condition will worsen if you do.

I bet I'd be automatically disqualified for taking these kind of drugs once in my life...don't you?

from recent posts, it sounds like this is not true.
Good luck.

MrOnigiri
5th Sep 2007, 22:51
Just to make things clear: I am gradually reducing my SSSRI consumption just because my Psychiatrist told me to! (i'm not crazy hehe, altough if it was just for me I had stopped it earlier).

I used the search function but I'm still to find someone who took SSRI's and applied for a Comercial job and got selected! (not the other way arround...;) )

Saab Dastard
6th Sep 2007, 08:32
I'm still to find someone who took SSRI's and applied for a Comercial job and got selected!

There is nothing to prevent anyone from obtaining both a Class 1 medical and an ATPL, despite having been on anti-anxiety / anti-depressant medication in the past.

If an employer chooses not to hire you under these circumstances that is (as you say) a different matter - but these days might well be in contravention of employment legislation (discrimination).

SD

MrOnigiri
6th Sep 2007, 09:00
Well, the question is: it will definitely stay on my medical record. No problem about that... But how far do Airlines get to know my private medical record?

I mean, If I don't present any medical issues by the time I apply, do they have access to my private medical history records?

As I said, this is just to clear things up in my head. I'm still to take that PPL first, and baby steps seems the right thing for me now :) Who knows if I'll be perfectly happy that way!

Thank you all for your time and answers so far!

Bob the Doc
6th Sep 2007, 09:15
Medical records are confidential. Your AME and GP are under no obligation (in fact they are obliged not) to release your medical details to anyone other than another medical professional and only then if they can prove they have a need for the info and that you consent to the release.

That said, your prospective employer's medical team would count in the list of people entitled to know. All your recruiter is allowed to ask the medical department is whether you are fit to be employed in the company. They are not allowed to ask any other questions. If the company occupational health doctor is satisfied that you are fit to fly then all uis well.

adorableCRJ
14th Nov 2007, 15:08
Hallo at all!

I'm new here and I did not want to open a new thread. This thread almost includes my problem as well.

I have a question not concerning SSRI, but concerning St. John's wort ( I hope that it is the right translation for Johanniskraut - I live in Germany). But first, my story:

In the year 2005 all problems with my family etc. came up and it resulted in a depression. I did not want to take any SSRI etc. When I look back, it was a very hard time. For one year and some months I was in therapy ( god bless this man, I think he was an angel send to me). I started to feel better, my depressions disappeared step by step.My last therapy-session was in March 2007. From october 2005 until today I take this St. John's wort.
I know and I learned - through therapy- that the signs of my depression reappear if sth's not going well in my life and that - in my case- the circumstances of my life made me sick.

Now I am studying, but I would like to become a pilot one day. I succeeded very good in my basic studies in LAW, but then changed to philology. I am at the beginning of my studies and through this forum I learned that it is very important to have a diploma before starting the training for a commercial pilot etc. That is the reason why I want to keep on studying but I would like to start my training (modular course).

Now the final question: Does anyone have experiences with the St. John's wort/ antidepressants made out of plants in connection to the medical class 1? I am starting to reduce it slowly! Will this be a problem later at the examination if I am still taking them?

You know, I have read a lot, some even advised me not to say anything concerning my depression, but I would like to be honest to me and to my future doctor.

Thank you very much for reading and I appreciate every answer!

Flyin'Dutch'
4th Dec 2007, 00:55
AFAIK SSRIs are disallowed by the FAA and I suspect other regulators as well.

Not necessarily on account of their side effects but the underlying conditions for which they are prescribed.

FD

<---any advertisement appearing in this sidebox is there courtesy of PPRuNe and is not an endorsement by me for any product or service.

obgraham
4th Dec 2007, 17:36
As Dutch says, FAA will not approve, even for class 3, current use or a history of SSRI's. You'd have to have a full psych workup stating that the original diagnosis and prescription was in error.

So you'd have to lie to get through.

Good luck on that, if you are ever investigated or have an insurance claim.

GPD44
5th Dec 2007, 00:38
I got my PPL suspended almost 2 years ago for the use of SSRI'S. My DR. prescribed me an SSRI for Fibromyalgia, not any type of depression. The AME still did not give me a 3rd Class Medical due to the fact that I am currently taking an SSRI. After 2 letters from my DR. and a letter to my Congressman, the FAA insisted that I still cannot receive a 3rd Class due to the fact that I am prescribed an SSRI. AOPA has sent a letter to and gone in front of congress to change the rules and allow pilots a special issuance for the use of SSRI'S. As an airplane owner, i'm hanging in there hoping that the rules may, in the near future, change so that a lot of us Private Pilot's can get back into the air. My DR. recommended that I be honest due to the fact that any type of incident could require the FAA to view my medical records. My question is...Are there any other pilots out there being treated with an SSRI for "off-label" use? Let me know.

adorableCRJ
11th Dec 2007, 10:54
as far as i know St John's wort is not a SSRI.... := i ve never taken ssri's.

xjerj
29th Dec 2007, 01:28
Hi,

I'm currently studying aviation management in college and I have some questions regarding SSRIs as they relate to the management side of the industry. I took celexa for about a year and a half at the recommendation of a psychologist for some non-clinical anxiety issues (basically needed something to take the edge off of a worrying habit). I decided to go off it earlier this fall because of the possibility of pursuing a private license. I've found since I went off it that I've kind of been feeling down and having trouble feeling engaged in my life, and I'm considering going back on it.

At any rate, I'm wondering what kind of effect taking celexa or having any kind of depression/anxiety would have on gaining employment in the management side of the aviation industry. I've kind of been considering going into dispatch...and that job I'm especially concerned about the possibility that I would not be able to get a job.

Thanks for your help.

-xjerj