PDA

View Full Version : Departures @ LHR: what's happening?

TimV
5th Sep 2007, 19:15
I'm a regular out of LHR - normally to EDI. Of 6 flights I have taken out of LHR over the last 6 weeks, all of them have been delayed - once by 2 hours. Worst time seems around 1100. What's going on and is this a trend for the future?

Thunderbug
6th Sep 2007, 08:39
TimV
Without specifics it's dissicult to answer, but I will put forward some ideas.
I operate out of LHR. Haven't done domestics for a while, but Heathrow actually hasn't been too bad recently. Certainly July was appalling, but August was way better with the notable exception of the 31st when the airport was totally closed for 20 minutes and then only single runway for about 90 minutes due to the Royal Brunei emergency return after an engine failure.
My personal punctuality for August was about 60% with 80% getting away within 15 minutes of schedule.
I don't know what reasons you were given for your late departures - but my recent delays have usually involved passengers checking in bags and then not turning up. That is 15-20 min delay straight off. A few ATC delays, and one 3hr delay 'cos the aircraft was broke - but none of these are LHR only problems.
Keep the faith
T'bug:ok:

The SSK
6th Sep 2007, 09:05
Association of European Airlines figures (http://www.aea.be/AEAWebsite/webrsc/SerQlty/DL/PRP-Q207.pdf) for the second quarter of the year were pretty horrendous. LHR highest delay rate among all European major airports, main cause of delay 'airport & ATC - departure airport'.

GrahamB73
6th Sep 2007, 10:43
I usually get the 16:35 BD60 to EDI on a Thursday and I've experienced the same apparent increase in delays in the last few weeks too. Of course, that's just one day out of seven so the other 6 could be plain sailing as far as I know.

TimV
6th Sep 2007, 12:53
Absolutely - I regularly get the BD54 1105 or like you the BD60 - I'm concerned that this pattern is going to tarnish the sparkle off bmi (who I rate highly) and their punctuality record. I reckon Sir Michael has chosen wisely to postpone the launch of the US routes.

citywings
6th Sep 2007, 19:53
Just thought I'd add my thoughts on this! I fly for BD and noticed that some of our flights were delayed in August. Apart from the runway closure on the 31st, this seems to have been caused by increasing start up delays. I'm only guessing here, but it could have something to do with the work in progress on the taxiways leading from where our aircraft park to the runway 27L, but don't quote me.

Over the last week, things seem to have got better, so keep in there!

TimV
7th Sep 2007, 10:02
Thanks for your comments everyone. Let's hope these delays are momentary - it's frustrating as a pax but must be more so for crew.