PDA

View Full Version : Discontent amongst Indian Pilots

Aeronotix
5th Sep 2007, 10:59
On many Indian pilots forums one senses apparent discontent with the way Indian airlines are treating its pilots with managements in league with DGCA, making and modifying rules to suit airlines and helping them increase bottomlines at the cost of aircrew. A case in example being the new FDTL rule which some airlines have as yet not implemented. Except erstwhile Indian, no other airline has unions to protect its pilots. Some maybe have associations which are impotent to say the least.

Aircrew are also losing out on their rightful upgradations due to overseas recruitment (no aspirations cast here nor comparasions warranted on the quality of foreign pilots) career progression promises are not kept, privileges are being tampered with and different yardsticks are being used. Even rostering of Indian pilots is pathetic compared to their foreign counterparts.

This in itself is a dangerous trend as it renders a fertile ground for poachers making it a vicious and never ending cycle to the detriment of both, airlines and pilots in the long run.

Aeronotix.:=

av8r76
5th Sep 2007, 12:38
Interesting timing on the post because Spicejet is starting to behave on similiar lines with its local crew.
They have started to gradually erode the TnC's of F/O's and the local capt's are next in line.
They have started shifting us into guest houses from hotels are some of them are less than adequate accommodation. There has been growing apprehension amongst the F/O's about what is next. SG does have a surplus of F/O's and our bargaining power has been further diminished from an already precarious position.
We have drafted a letter requesting the reversal of this decision and even before the letter has reached management they have issued a polite PFO to us citing cost cutting.:ugh:
This is only going to lead to further discontent amongst the ranks and spill over into the F/D.
The expats will remain in hotels as a part of their respective contractual agreements. I would like to reinforce the fact that a significant majority of the P2's enjoy flying with expat P1's and this is no slant against them in any fashion. But as mentioned earlier there is bound to be some repercussions from the current trend we are witnessing.
One can't help but think that the local crew are getting a raw deal and it's not getting any better. We can only guess what's next in the name of cost cutting.
Comparing this scenario to the Mid East forum where the expats claim to be less favoured as compared to the locals it's sad to see the stark contrast in the Indian scenario.:ouch::}

ddsilva
5th Sep 2007, 16:45
Well when you look at it closely its not the expats nor the local pilots to blame its the s.....h.... managment that need to rethink the way they carry out their recruitment.In india i think and globally we have managed to perfect the art of THE BRITISH RULE which is get the dogs in the cage throw a pound of flesh stand back and watch. It usually settles the ranks its worked like stink for centuries, and i do not see it stopping either.
I feel if we get together all colours races and nationality we can put an end to the c..p. There is no point sitting around :{ cause its not going to get any better.

Aeronotix
7th Sep 2007, 06:09
Aah! Divide and rule. The British, past masters at the game have bestowed this legacy on the subcontinent which governments and managements still use successfully. Throw a dog a bone and watch him run away with it leaving the rest of the pack to howl in vain!

It will take a Mahatama to unify pilots in India, till then we will keep suffering, wailing and at best change jobs hoping and praying the next company respects its pilots a bit more.

Fortunately in many countries, there are airline managements that always give their citizens preference over others, or at least equate them with others instead of marking them as underdogs.

Aeronotix.

ohnoriceagain
7th Sep 2007, 12:36
Aerontix
the other countries are the same if not worse... thisis aviation:}
take it easy dude and enjoy flying:ok:

skytrek21
8th Sep 2007, 00:06
Someone once told me.....If you are in this profession for the money or respect, you are in the wrong profession. Do it only coz you have a passion for flying and that's it.

Aeronotix
19th Sep 2007, 02:36
There's a job going in the Congo basin area for an air ambulence pilot.
Since I have this passion for flying and can live on love & fresh air will switch over from flying T7.

Aeronotix:)

NG ExPat
20th Sep 2007, 06:50
And here I thought that was a senario dreamed up by Bob Crandall of AA. He ran AA like that for his entire tenure. It continues there today although I seriously doubt it is out of respect for him. Much more like "it has worked for years, so let's keep it up!"

That's the Airline Industry.

av8r76
20th Sep 2007, 15:14
Latest news now is that the Captains get their hotels AND a pay raise. F/O's still fighting for scraps.

Ground staff in various stations have had 'team building workshops' with each event being led by HR reps. Guess where they got to stay during these company events.:mad:

Hey Skytrek... you interested in being treated like crap??... forward your resume. I am guessing you love aviation. Well Spice is absolutely gonna love you:rolleyes:

Nevrekar
21st Sep 2007, 01:15
I had heard that the F/O's were to sign a petition strongly opposing the move by the company to relocate them to guest houses on overnights. I am not sure if that was ever done or if it had any effect. Based on coversations with F/O's I have flown with the big issue is the fact that they were told upon being hired that while Spicejet was a low cost carrier, this labeling of low cost, did not extend to the cockpit crew.

As far as the Capt's go, expats are on contract and so there is no likelihood of a payraise other than when negotiating a new contract. Our contract specifies 5 star accomodations and so guest houses are out.
Then again our contract also provides for 8 days off a month, and I doubt that most are getting that. We are flying 6 days a week.