PDA

View Full Version : Qantas FA stood down ?

priapism
5th Sep 2007, 07:09
Any truth in the rumour that a Qantas steward has been stood down whilst being investigated for asking a 15 year old lad on his flight for his mobile number and asking him if he wanted to chat on line.?? Allegedly the boy's mum found out and isn't happy. Sounds like it may have been a domestic flight in NZ.

sinala1
5th Sep 2007, 07:41
From news.com.au

http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/0,23483,22366220-27977,00.html
Flight attendant 'gave number to teen boy'
By staff writers

A QANTAS flight attendant has been stood down while the airline probes an allegation that he gave his cellphone number to a teenage male passenger on a domestic New Zealand flight.

The mother of the 15-year-old boy has gone public about the incident on a flight from Auckland to Wellington on Monday night, the New Zealand Press Association reported.

The teenager was travelling unaccompanied.

The woman alleged anonymously in The Dominion Post newspaper that the flight attendant asked her son for his cellphone number and asked if he wanted to chat online. The steward gave the boy his cellphone number.

Qantas said it was aware of the incident, which it was taking seriously.

"We are currently investigating the matter. The employee has been stood down pending the outcome of this investigation," it said.

hoss
5th Sep 2007, 07:50
a steward not stewardess!

back2front
5th Sep 2007, 09:00
hoss - so what?

Buster Hyman
5th Sep 2007, 09:05
"So, do you like Gladiator movies Timmy?"

:=

Mr.Buzzy
5th Sep 2007, 09:26
Ever been in a Turkish prison?

Poto
5th Sep 2007, 10:27
You ever been in a cockpit before?
No sir, I've never been up in a plane before.
You ever seen a grown man naked?
:ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok:

Mr.Buzzy
5th Sep 2007, 10:35
Do you like to hang around gymnasiums?

SeldomFixit
5th Sep 2007, 11:04
Would you like to be Foreign Minister ?

Metro man
5th Sep 2007, 17:54
Would you like to come and see the golden rivet ? Its down there, bend over and have a look:E

Ace Wasabe
6th Sep 2007, 02:32
The idiots who made most of the previous posts obviously have no children.
As a parent I am apalled by the FAs alleged behaviour but I am absolutely disgusted by these posts.
Time for this thread to be closed and the offending posters disciplined

Bolty McBolt
6th Sep 2007, 02:50
Hey ACE nice first post, Did it have to be from your soap box.
Most of the posts above, are very loose quotes from the movie "Flying High" or "Airplane" (as it was named in USA)

Ted Striker: Surely you can't be serious.
Rumack: I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Roger Murdock: Flight 2-0-9'er, you are cleared for take-off.
Captain Oveur: Roger!
Roger Murdock: Huh?
Tower voice: L.A. departure frequency, 123 point 9'er.
Captain Oveur: Roger!
Victor Basta: Request vector, over.
Captain Oveur: What?
Tower voice: Flight 2-0-9'er cleared for vector 324.
Roger Murdock: We have clearance, Clarence.
Captain Oveur: Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?
Tower voice: Tower's radio clearance, over!
Captain Oveur: That's Clarence Oveur. Over.
Tower voice: Over.
Captain Oveur: Roger.
Tower voice: Roger, over!
Roger Murdock: What?
Captain Oveur: Huh?
Victor Basta: Who?

roamingwolf
6th Sep 2007, 03:05
Ace Wasabe.mate we all know there are some real sickos out there but lighten up a little.as bolty said most of us have seen the flick and the lines are classics.do you want the movie banned too mate.
if its true about this fella then he should be turned into a gelding if you know what i mean:E

R.OCKAPE
6th Sep 2007, 04:39
back2front

I agree

girls are alright but nothing like the real thing.....

kiwi chick
6th Sep 2007, 04:51
girls are alright but nothing like the real thing.....

tee hee hee!

Ace Wasabe - I'm a girl (no, really) and a mother of three, yet I find this thread amusing.

And let me clarify that - I do NOT find child abuse, incest, paedophilia or any of the like amusing, and I think the offenders of such should be hung by their bits and slaughtered.

However... what I DO find amusing is a bunch of people in the industry being able to take the piss out of the aforementioned movies that poke fun at us in this otherwise all too serious world. :D

If we all spoke only seriously about the god awful things that are happening in our world, there would not be many Ppruners left - we would have all hung ourselves by now. :{

So, lighten up, and if you don't like it, move on to another website. := :=

In time you would have got to realise that most (I say with my fingers crossed) people on here are worthy, fine people who just like to destress with like-minded people.

she hops back off her box and gets back to work now.

Bolty McBolt
6th Sep 2007, 05:21
A man knows what a man wants :ok:

Buster Hyman
6th Sep 2007, 05:22
Innocent UNTIL proven guilty Ace. Remember that.:=

You know Ace, it's people like you that stop me from helping a crying child in the street. I have to worry that there's someone like you, lurking in the corner ready to scream "Pervert!" if I go & help. It breaks my heart to see a kid crying & I know with my kids, I can comfort them without recrimination from idiots like you!

And yes, if this FA is a serious pervert, then I'll happily grab my pitchfork & join you, but ONLY if convicted by a court...and NOT you!

GalleyHag
6th Sep 2007, 05:48
If the guy did what they say he did fair enough he should get the boot.

However there are some weirdo parents out there as well. A few weeks ago I walked with the rest of the crew off the aircraft where the mother and father were happily waiting for their little johnny and after the F/A handed him over and got the docs signed the mother chased me down and wanted to know why I allowed her son to be cared for on a flight by a plane load of fags (it was an all male crew). Thats also the type of mentality we have to deal with from parents as well.

There are always two sides to every story, but the mobile phone number and chatting on-line thats way over stepping the boundries.

kiwi chick
6th Sep 2007, 05:56
GalleyHag, really?!! Did you slap the bitch? Does this mean that any lesbian FA's should also not be allowed near young girls?

F :mad: K this world is getting crazy. With regard to what Buster said (I'll try to keep this short...)

Went to the park with my girls, who were at the time about 5, 3 & baby. As we arrived I saw an older man sitting on the park bench (cliche I know, but really) and I immediately thought "ooooh, pevert". I sat down on seat (to keep an eye on him, I told myself) and after about 5 mins he started talking to me. Turns out, his wife had died, and his daughter had just moved to Aussie with his grandkids. He used to bring them to the park all the time and was really missing them.

(I know, I know, but keep reading...!)

He then said to me that it was a shame that society is what it is today, and that because of the sick bastards (he used language just a little stronger) around, he could no longer even say "hi" to a little tot without being dragged away in handcuffs. All he wanted was to again hear the incessant, gorgeous, chatter of a toddler that he missed so dearly. So, I called my kids over, introduced them and let them chat all they liked.

He left with a very sincere "thank you" and a smile on his face.

Some might think I was naieve, but I took the man on face value, and felt very, very sorry for him.

End of story. :ok:

Sonique
6th Sep 2007, 06:19
Well done KiwiChick - it's nice to know there are people like you out there.

If this Jetconnect guy is guilty, then I agree. Jetconnect should sack him. This is totally inappropriate behaviour.

I would just like to point out one thing though. The story Galleyhag told makes me sick in the stomach. A plane load of male cabin crew makes no difference to how your child is looked after,we all do the same job very well.

I remember a day when I had a U/M in my care and was warned that there might be a possible attempt by the father at destination xxxx to snatch the child from the grandparents who were to pick him up.

It turns out that on this day, the father did attempt to interfere with the handover to the grandparents and I was able to quickly remove the child into a secure area before the situation escalated.

I would love for that discriminatory pig of a mother who made those comments to Galleyhag to hear about the f/a on this particular day. It wasn't a very nice day at work :(

The Kavorka
6th Sep 2007, 07:24
If true I hope they draw and quater this ******** for that kind of behaviour....utterly disgraceful...

Buster Hyman
6th Sep 2007, 08:03
A standing, unwritten rule at AN was that no male FA was to accompany UM's. Not so much company discrimination, but more like Galleyhags story, they were afraid of unfounded accusations etc, etc, etc...

That's the sort of **** that annoys me...almost as much as the perverts who have changed our thinking by their actions.:suspect:

kiwiblue
6th Sep 2007, 10:33
Onya KC, you beaut :ok:

Like damn near every other swinging dick in here, I too have been made to feel like a pervert/paedophile/criminal for trying to assist a minor in difficulty. It's not the kids fault, seldom the parents... I blame excessive 'political correctness' as espoused and foisted on us by the likes of Helen Clarke and her cronies and an unbelievably over-reactive media that have publicised a few shameful events to the extent that every male in society is now tarred with the same brush. Like most blokes I know, I would dearly love a few minutes alone with these bloody rock-spiders to demonstrate my very politically incorrect response to their actions.

For the record, whilst I have none of my own (that I am aware of :E) I am the proud uncle of 16 nieces and nephews who now have added 6 grand-nieces and -nephews (at last count!). It galls me no end that I can so rarely spend time with the wee ones as I did their parents, virtually never outside the confines of my own or their parents homes. It is however always gratifying to have the wee ones rush up with a huge hug whenever I do catch up with them :)

capt.cynical
6th Sep 2007, 13:05
:ugh:Mod's can we have the title of this thread changed to reflect the true identity of the airline and company that this individual was employed by.:(
As is, it now throws a wide and unrepresentative net, casting aspertions on a group that don't deserve such vilification.

Alfa male hairy chest beaters please dont bother replying!:E

nike
6th Sep 2007, 14:58
to reflect the true identity of the airline and company

:confused:

tail wheel
6th Sep 2007, 17:33
Cynical

I'm not under any doubt which airline is being referred to:

"A QANTAS flight attendant has been stood down while the airline probes an allegation that he gave his cellphone number to a teenage male passenger on a domestic New Zealand flight."

I would not want to see any further identification given to either the carrier or individual concerned.

Tail Wheel

mrpaxing
6th Sep 2007, 22:47
anyone can shed some light on 5 syd based f/a's being stood down after a flight from the curry country on suspicion of drinking onboard? :eek:

speedbirdhouse
6th Sep 2007, 22:59
I heard it was 4 and that they are contract F/As form the labour hire company Maurice Alexander Management [MAM].

I believe it to be the same company that employed the prostitute.

kiwi chick
6th Sep 2007, 23:38
Been thinking about this. I might throw a spanner in the works just to see what comes back at me. :ouch:

What IF... this 15 yr old looked 18? Did the FA have any access to information that should have made him aware that this pax was only 15?

See where I'm going...? I know it's still not right to solicit pax - let there be no misunderstanding here - but imagine if it were for eg, a 19 yr old really hot female FA, and say an 18 yr old male PAX...? :suspect:

In light of all the aforementioned posts, do we always assume the WORST these days and thereby declare that this FA was a perverted SOB who deserves to be hung; :mad:

or could it be that he is now one VERY embarrassed young gay male FA who slipped up and made a gross error of judgement re the boy's age and inappropriate use of his position? :{ :=

KC

Capt Claret
7th Sep 2007, 01:10
If it's so wrong to solicit pax (and I'm not advocating pax solicitation) how come in the good-ole-days so many attractive women were invited to the flight deck?

mrpaxing
7th Sep 2007, 04:01
that the 15 year old was listed as YP on the manifest,. it would have been brought to the attention of the cabin manager by groundstaff. the cabin manager would have pointed it out to the crew. thats the usual way of handling young travelling persons, unless there are seperate rules in the qf group in NZ.:suspect:
Cpt. claret, those were the days, scanning boarding then have a casual walk through the cabin, a little chat and so on

Bug Smasher Smasher
7th Sep 2007, 07:15
A QANTAS flight attendant has been stood down while the airline probes an allegation that he gave his cellphone number to a teenage male passenger on a domestic New Zealand flight... from Auckland to Wellington on Monday night, the New Zealand Press Association reported.

This was Jetconnect, a somewhat distant relative of Qantas Mainline (and even more distant to Qantas regionals).

air doris
7th Sep 2007, 10:20
Whenever I have UM's on board I ask them to show me that they can fasten and unfasten the seatbelt on their own. We all know where the seatbelt sits and I am not going to put myself in a position where I can be accused of touching a child. If they cant do it they shouldn't fly alone, or I will get my CSM or ground staff to ensure they are stapped in. If they are sitting with another pax I talk to that pax and ask their name and follow procedure. Always have a back up when dealing with UM's.

capt.cynical
7th Sep 2007, 10:34
:ugh:Thank's Bug Smasher,
That was the point of my earlier post.A point missed by a few on here.:(

sebby
7th Sep 2007, 11:18
Pax was not travelling as listed YP.

There are 2 very different sides to this story and all I can say is watch this space......

And before anyoen does - dont point the finger at me :p

indamiddle
8th Sep 2007, 09:17
heard today that there are a few csm's less in shorthaul,
due to sacking...syd transgression unknown
stood down.......bne possibly aircraft stores
pressured to bid back not acheiving kpi's...more than 1
on not achieving kpi's it sounds like a backlash is in the offing,
qiute a number have had enough and are putting pressure on
the union to get off its a.s and do something about it all.
maybe even longhauler csm's may want to join in this

Left2assist
8th Sep 2007, 15:15
I've started a thread on the KPI process because i think it's worthy of one, indamiddle.

Hope you don't mind.......

K9P
9th Sep 2007, 04:50
It's easier to become a scoutmaster! LOL only joking.

Mike773
9th Sep 2007, 19:38
This was Jetconnect, a somewhat distant relative of Qantas Mainline (and even more distant to Qantas regionals).

A Qantas-owned company operating with Qantas livery and Qantas call sign is a "distant relative"? :ugh:

kiwi chick
9th Sep 2007, 21:31
Sebby

Pax was not travelling as listed YP.

There are 2 very different sides to this story and all I can say is watch this space......

Hmmm, yes.. that was the basis of my comment. Before everyone decides to lynch the FA, maybe there IS more that we don't know... :suspect:

(After all, look at "Hunter" on Shortland Street... :ooh:)

KC :ok: