PDA

View Full Version : Heli Flight Instructor shortage???

tt801
4th Sep 2007, 04:45
Hi,

I've recently been in contact with several schools across SA regarding converting my FAA CPL(H) & IR(H) and adding an instructor rating. The few schools that replied claim there is currently a shortage of instructors in SA and obtaining work would not be difficult.

I appreciate that there is always a certain amount of sales pitch with this but wondered if anyone had any first hand experience?

Thanks in advance

JetPark
4th Sep 2007, 08:55
There is indeed a shortage of helicopter instructors in SA and the reason is simply explained. Low hour - fresh Comm and IR = experience too low and often students desire those with greater experience, i.e the scarce version of instructors. More experienced version = salary too low, industry can't retain them and they move on to Part 127 (or 135 / 121 if fixed wing rated) where there is more money to be made. Bit of a vicious circle. Nice way to build experince for a 200 hour wonder but not enough money for the more experienced.

tt801
4th Sep 2007, 16:34
Thank you both for the replies and information, it seems to be the same thing I'm hearing everywhere, some people say there is a shortage and others say not.
The fortunate thing for me is that I saved for several years to pay for the training so do not have a loan to pay back so only require enough money (pay) to basically live on, is this even possible?
Do you know what sort of salaries newly qualified instructors are getting paid?

CJ750
4th Sep 2007, 17:06
What about all the experienced SAA pilots moonlighting as instructors.:ugh::ugh::ugh:

Avi8tor
5th Sep 2007, 03:29
Before I left, I heard numbers of between R400 and R500 per hr dual and solo, for a GrII. So if you were doing 100 billed hrs, that R40k to R50k. Considering that 30hrs of the 100hrs would be solo, thats sounds a fair effort/reward ratio to me.

Its my plan after playing in the sandpit for a few yrs.

If a school was offering training bonds, I think they are pretty short of instructors. But as always, read BEFORE you sign.

taperlok
5th Sep 2007, 05:01
CJ750 Get over yourself. another ppruner with a hangup about SAA.
Those that are moonlighting from SAA are the ones with the experience as mentioned above. Airforce trained with thousands of hours on PUMA, Superfreelon, et al. Let me guess your application to SAA has met with no success yet.:{

Avi8tor
5th Sep 2007, 12:02
Airforce trained with thousands of hours on PUMA, Superfreelon, et al.

And that is a requirement to instruct on a R22/44?

Think the point that was being made is that the highest paid in the country are stealing bread out of the mouths of the bottom end of the food chain, that may well be struggling to make ends meet.

A very valid point.

I have NO problem in the airline guys putting back their experience as DE's etc. In fact to be welcomed. But leave the rest to the boys that need the dosh.

DynamicRollOver
6th Sep 2007, 11:16
There is a tremendous shortage of helicopter flight instructors in South Africa at the moment. As a newbie, a realistic earning rate is about R250 per hour as a GRIII and about R350 per hour as a GRII. The R400 - R500 mark is for the more seniour guys.

Lets face it, as a fresh comm with an instructors rating, 50 - 60 hours a month as an instructor is easy to do and this would have a guy earning roughly R12500 to R15000 per month. With the requirement for GRII being only 200 hours, this would mean an immediate jump to a salary of R17500 to R21600.

What other professions can offer this immediate return on the investment made?

Oh - And this is training on R22s essentially.

DynamicRollOver
6th Sep 2007, 11:21
At the moment there is alot of work in the training side but also bear in mind that no school will commit to guaranteeing you income after your license.

Instruction is a very specific task which requires particular attributes in its trainers. Not everyone can teach and even if they can teach, not everyone has the personality and aura which inspires confidence in students and motivates them to progress.

I know of helicopter flight schools who are dying for instructors! But again, quality guys!

tt801
6th Sep 2007, 16:26
Great help, many thanks for all your replies and information.

CJ750
6th Sep 2007, 18:28
DEAR TAPERLOK

yes my application was rejected 20 years ago. You guys at SAA are very sensitive these days especially with your pay cut coming.....

I have got over it. My point is as AVI8TOR says, why are the very experienced guys at SAA stealing bread out of others mouths for example DASSIE and his cronies in CAPE TOWN with the CHALLENGER 300. This might be off the topic as well but how do they match up the duty time after doing charters and their normal job with SAA.

Avi8tor
7th Sep 2007, 06:22
This might be off the topic as well but how do they match up the duty time after doing charters and their normal job with SAA.

Because they have so much spare time?

Sorry, dont wanna turn this into another 'hate SAA' thread, but I couldn't resist.

R250p/h is still R25k. Nice money at 20yrs old. If you can afford to come up with the R450k for the COMM/Inst rating, that is. And lets face it, beats the crap out of a real job anyday.

Will the banks give u a student loan for it? Know they will in the UK.

swashpl8
7th Sep 2007, 06:35
Dead right. They earn a fortune at spoories, but they have to take away from others who earn less. Ag sies man!!:yuk:

tt801
7th Sep 2007, 16:52
Hi Avi8tor,

I've already completed my CPL and IR in the US, so I just need to build hours to 200 and complete the FI rating at the same time.

Thanks

ps I wish I was 20, unfortunately i'm considerably older!!!! still beats getting a proper job...!!!

Choppers Rule
9th Sep 2007, 21:32
Hi TT801

It might be worthwhile looking at Schools around Grand Central airport. Think there is one that is definately short of instructors. Doing 100hrs a month is not very realistic, plan on 60 to 70. You will reach burn out very quickly if you do more than that. Most schools dont offer pay for ground instruction.

Good luck with the SA Instructors exams!