PDA

View Full Version : Metal Plates

Kolibear
3rd Sep 2007, 14:09
3 months ago, Mrs K broke her ankle and had to have a bit of Meccano screwed to the bone. (Tenuous aviation link - she still can't put much weight on it so climbing up into the group Robin is not possible at the moment.) Last night I was massaging it and realised that I could feel the outline of the plate, one comment lead to another and eventually we wondered if I could hang a magnet on her leg and use it as a noticeboard.

At this point, we both realaised that we hadn't a clue what the plate is made from. So to satisfy our curiousity, can someone enlighten us as to the material. We discarded mild steel as too rusty, aluminium as too ductile, titantium as too expensive and more or less plumped for stainless.

David Horn
3rd Sep 2007, 16:53
It'll either be titanium or stainless steel. Depends where it was done. Friend has a titanium plate in his ankle (op done in France); I have a stainless one in my wrist with the op done in the UK.

It's apparently MRI safe, and sadly doesn't set off the metal detectors at security checkpoints. I can also feel the plate, although since the screws go right the way through the bone you can also see the points protuding against the skin on the top of my wrist...

If anyone stumbles across this post later, it presented no problem for my Class 1.

slim_slag
3rd Sep 2007, 20:08
The cost of the raw titanium is a small percentage of the cost of the finished product. Titanium is the metal of choice because it is essentially inert when left inside your body. I'm carrying around both titanium and stainless steel and I've set off only one airport detector in Siem Reap, nowhere else.

Saab Dastard
3rd Sep 2007, 20:58
Hello Mr. K - regards to the missus, and my commiserations on her accident.

I trust that she will be recovered sufficiently to enjoy dancing the night away at the Gatbash!

SD