PDA

View Full Version : Low Hour Intake

Alltheway
3rd Sep 2007, 09:45
Hello,

I'm a current PPL(H) Holder looking at either a Frozen ATPL Rotary or Fixed Wing. Does anyone have info on low hour intake oppurtunities once i've hopefully passed please?

Any past or present info appreciated.

rotorspin
3rd Sep 2007, 11:16
:hmm: considers a response

:cool: thinks of a cunning and patronising reply

:hmm: thinks - should he really write such a response?

makes a cup of tea instead.........:ok:

Whirlygig
3rd Sep 2007, 11:35
Low hour CPL(H) opportunities? There aren't many. You'd be better off fixed wing unless you want or can do an FI(H) or IR(H).

Cheers

Whirls

Rotorspin - splash of milk and four sugars for me, please!

unstable load
3rd Sep 2007, 11:40
FOUR!!!!!:eek:

Feeling a little bitter today, are we:E:E

My mind went to screwdrivers at 2am when I read low hour intake..........;)

Whirlygig
3rd Sep 2007, 11:46
I'm not at all bitter; I've cut down!

Cheers

Whirls

unstable load
3rd Sep 2007, 12:41
Whirls,

That's very sweet of you.:ok::ok:

UL

Camp Freddie
3rd Sep 2007, 13:32
cmvidini,

I think this is an appropiate moment to post my standard answer to quesions of this type which whirlygig once suggested I must keep on my clipboard.

it is meant to be helpful, and know I have overused it but anyhow here goes:-

"Option A, CPL(H) only, high risk, chance of employment poor or nil
Option B, CPL(H) + FI rating, higher cost, low risk, lower returns
Option C, CPL(H) + IR, higher cost, high risk, higher returns"

basically FI or IR which do you think ?

regards

CF

fluffy5
3rd Sep 2007, 13:53
Today I was talking to a low hour new cpl who was thinking on paying for his IR(H), yet had talked to the offshore companies who were not prepared to take him on or give an interview, yet he was still thinking to pay the money for the IR. I reminded him of my situation a few years ago, which I did the same thing, paid for my IR and still did not get accepted for the offshore.
He has now decided to spend some of his 30 grand on an FI course, and in three years time have money in the bank to get a tasty twin rating or two.
Better logic ?
If you had to decide on financial aspect, it would be fixed wing all the way.

fluffy5
3rd Sep 2007, 14:20
or if you really want to get into offshore if that is your interest you will have to pass the interview tests of chc. what you can do is to do the test's with the consultant privately he will say yes or no, if he says yes then get an interview with chc to do the test's with the same consultant !
But you have to go to norway to see him.
seems the consultant does the pilot's intial, before they commit on an IR, and then he will see them again at the interview. wonderful world of aviation.
fixed wing for sure :}

Alltheway
3rd Sep 2007, 14:24
Thanks for all your suggestions. My Dream Job would be Air Ambulance. Does anyone know of the average min.hours for a position of this type please?

Whirlygig
3rd Sep 2007, 14:30
At least 1,500 - 2,000 hours these days; same for Police.

Cheers

Whirls

heliroger
3rd Sep 2007, 16:19
well mate,i'm giving up my good paying job back here in Nigeria to train for my PPL+CPL+IR all helicopter and return to Nigeria for a job with Bristow or CHC.i guess life is all about dreams and taking risks to achieve them.

jeepys
3rd Sep 2007, 18:52
There have been quite a few people who have recently got jobs with CHC and Bristow with only 250hours or so and a IR. I know one of them very well.
Offshore is good at the moment for recruitment.
Air Ambulance and Police will require 1500 or so but wthin that you will need 300 to 500 hours twin. That is difficult to get if just relying on commercial non offshore.