PDA

View Full Version : Safair's New 4 Engine Jet.....

Bozo Nightmare
3rd Sep 2007, 05:57
....or should I say thier new 5 APU equiped jet. Apparently they have signed for 12 Avro 85's. Never heard of it before but apparently it is a later version of the BAE 146. If this info is correct it will be nice for Safair to finally have an aircraft younger than most of thier "remaining" employees.:}

bn

Avi8tor
3rd Sep 2007, 07:19
Later version of a BAe 146-200. Ask the airlink boys about that little experience. Funny, Safair had 2 before.

unablereqnavperf
3rd Sep 2007, 08:59
Ah the good old 146 very well named aircraft!
1- is the number of engines required to match the aircrafts performance!
4- the number of engines actually installed!
6- being the number of engines required to actually make the aircraft perform!
The only fixed wing aircraft powered by 4 helicopters!

spagiola
10th Sep 2007, 20:38
What is it about South African airlines and the 146? In past months, we've had rumors of Executive Turbine acquiring 146s (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=273370&highlight=executive), and of AirQuarius acquiring 146s (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=278924&highlight=AirQuarius), and now of Safair acquiring RJ85s. So far only the Airlink rumors have been proven true, while those regarding ET and AirQuarius have mostly vanished. Will this Safair rumor prove similarly ephemeral?

SIC
11th Sep 2007, 05:10
So the airplane that is facing serious legal challenges in Europe due to fumes from engine oil getting into Air system and poisoning pilots/pax/crew is now being exported to Africa to poison you guys!! Nice!

midweeksaint
11th Sep 2007, 08:40
Hi Stefano
I don't think the rumours concerning Executive Turbine / Airquarius are untrue. I think they are one and the same and if you dig you will see that E3120 and E3122 were sold to Executive Turbine and are now registered to Africa Contracts Company pty ltd and being prepared to ferry. I also hear that Safair have agreed to acquire six of the 12 RJ85s being marketed by SH&E.

JJflyer
12th Sep 2007, 08:39
The RJ85 is a very different type of an animal compared to the old BAE146 models. Better performance (Not much:} ) and upgraded systems. As far as I know, there are very simple and not all that expensive fix in the form of better filters to the bad air problems with the older 146 and other types as well.

JJ