PDA

View Full Version : Licence issue delay

fernytickles
2nd Sep 2007, 21:13
Just reading a couple of threads about folks getting their licences (congratulations, by the way :ok:) and the delay while the licence is written up.

Having gone through both the US and UK process, I have had a chance to see the benefits and lack thereof for both country's methods of issuing licences.

I can fully understand the frustration with the delay by the CAA/Post Office or whoever. Therefore, why don't the CAA examiners do as the US ones do and issue a temporary certificate until the permanent one is completed? That way the pilot can get going with their flying without having to approach an instructor every time, and can take their Mum/Dad/sibling/child/g'f/b'f or whoever up straight away.

Has anyone, or any group ever lobbied the CAA to have this changed? Two weeks may seem like nothing to someone driving a desk, but its a heck of a long time if you're waiting for that chance to take someone up. Add the admin delay onto the UK weather and you could be waiting months.... Can't the PFA or AOPA or whatever other groups you have approach the CAA to see if this can be addressed?

julian_storey
3rd Sep 2007, 08:39
I've often wondered this too.

For those not familiar with the FAA system, you pass a check ride (flight test) with an FAA examiner and he (or she) then issues you with a temporary licence valid for 120 days which you can use IMMEDIATELY until the proper ones arrives in the post some weeks later. THEY then send off your old licence (if you already held one) and all the necessary paperwork to the FAA having checked it through.

It is a most excellent system which seems to me to work very well indeed.
I'd guess that the CAA are probably worried about examiners accidentally issuing licences / ratings etc. without the proper experience requirements etc. having been met by the applicant, but my view is that if an examiner is deemed qualified enough to assess my flying ability - they should also be qualified enough to check my documents.

Does anyone on here work for the CAA know why we couldn't do this here? :)