PDA

View Full Version : CPL Part time

expedite08
2nd Sep 2007, 16:00
Hi all,

Going to be starting my CPL on a part time basis. Has anyone done it this way before? How long did it take you?

Im also after any hints or what to read up on prior to begining etc. Want to be on the ball.

Many thanks

:ok:

Simon150
2nd Sep 2007, 18:50
Hi,

I too am hoping to do CPL part-time. Its taken me a while to figure out which UK FTOs actually support part-time CPL, but I think I am going to go with Bonus Aviation in Cranfield (one of the few). I would be interested to know where you are planning to do yours - we seem to be in the minority here.

As I understand it, the CPL is basically a higher standard of flying than taught during the PPL - which itself is a higher standard of flying than I am probably doing at the moment. Apart from the complex a/c stuff, I don't think there is much extra in there that you can 'gen up on (please tell me otherwise).

I have spent much of my recent hour building trying to get back to at least PPL level of height/hdg/speed hold, done some PFLs, and did all my nav exercises without a GPS, so I am hoping that will put me in good stead. Other than that, I too would like to know if there is anything else I can do to prepare.

gd123
2nd Sep 2007, 18:57
Hi guys, ive just finished my ppl, how do you compare ppl exams to atpl exams, thinking of doing them and how long do they usually take if you put a bit of time in, how much time do you need?

easy307
2nd Sep 2007, 19:08
ATPL at bristol
4 months full time
8 months part time while working
of course these times will vary according to your commitment and skill

gd123
2nd Sep 2007, 19:11
4 months full time, i was thinking bristol, im atually just finishing work, 4 months wow? how r they in comparison with ppl

easy307
2nd Sep 2007, 19:28
go to the bristol ground school forum and have a read
http://www.atpforum.co.uk/

gd123
2nd Sep 2007, 19:39
thanks. Really amazed, everyone i have spoke to says it has taken then 3 years, fair enough they have been working full time, sounds gud if i can do it in 6 months full time. how long did it take u?

mlee
2nd Sep 2007, 22:56
CPL part time, not a good idea. I tried it for two months and ended up leaving my job to complete full time!!

CirrusF
3rd Sep 2007, 05:49
I have done ATPL theory plus CPL/IR/ME part-time, all the time working in a full-time job (and in the summer months doing a second job). It took me three years from first starting the distance-learning theory course. The actual flying part of the course took fifteen months.

I found that the CPL was the hardest to do part-time. I think that ideally for a CPL you need to do the course very intensively in order to build a really good rythim. In my case, being able to do a maximum of two flight or sim sessions per week was a disadvantage and I ended up taking about 10% more than minimum hours for the course. I still passed first time though.

On the other hand, the IR was easy - even advantageous - to do at a slower pace. I passed first time.

Overall, it has been very worthwhile and satisfying. Having completed the course, I am not overwhelmed with debts and I still have a full-time (though currently non-flying) job. Potential employers have all viewed very positively (even slightly incredulously) that I managed to do everything whilst working full time.

buggingout
3rd Sep 2007, 06:36
with the british weather you may well find full-time is part-time :\

might be worth persevering part-time and keeping the money coming in, i wish i had after averaging 1.5 hours a week due to the white fluffy stuff.

i agree with post 2, prepare well and arm-chair fly after every lesson. another mistake of mine. and learn all the type-specific info you'll need such as speeds, emergency actions etc. before you start. if that's in your head before hand another thing less to worry about.

....and enjoy it!