PDA

View Full Version : gulf air career progress question..

dash8pilotCanada
2nd Sep 2007, 14:57
Hello to all,I Wanted to knoW, What is the career progress scheme at gulf air.. I knoW you start off as a FO on the a320.. What the next step after that? Do you go to the 767 or become PIC on the 320? Do you bid once a year for equipment and captaincy like in alot of airline or do you just Wait and see What management has in store for you.. I hope We can keep the gulf air bashing for another thread

ironbutt57
2nd Sep 2007, 15:24
That progression has changed a bit over the years, lately it has tended to be one upgraded on the fleet they joined on, as it seems 500hrs on a particular type is required for initial command..the f.o.'s who have indeed done their initial command were from the 76 right seat, or had previously been there..hope this helps:ok:

DesertHawk
2nd Sep 2007, 16:00
320 FO approx 2-3 years
33/340 Fo approx 3-4 years
320 capt.......time frame is a educated guess depends on how many people have left....

if u are on 767 as an Fo no one really know yet

scanscanscan
2nd Sep 2007, 21:38
Dash 8 Pilot Canada......If you would like to know how GF treat you after you have worked for them as a pilot for 31years please read...
"Captain Gammage Critically ill" thread on this site.

Panama Jack
3rd Sep 2007, 09:58
DesertHawk has explained the system fairly well. The reason why "nobody knows" for the Boeing 767 is that until recently, people on the Boeing 767 would generally remain on the Boeing until their upgrade came. There were a few transitions to the Airbus fleet, but few. The future on that aircraft is the million dinar question, because when André Dosé came on-board as the CEO, he slated the Boeing 767's for retirement within a relatively short time frame. Mr. Dosé is gone, but the fact of the matter is the 767's are at the point where they will need to be replaced, so nobody really knows what the future holds (or at least those who know aren't talking, and those who are talking don't know).

At this point in time, Gulf Air is the only airline in the region that (thankfully) does not have a Direct-Entry Captain scheme, and the airline seems to have committed itself to clarifying seniority and honoring a seniority-based career progression system. There are sins that have been committed in the past and some guys have some legitimate grievances, but at least as of this week, the Company seems to be making the right moves towards going straight.

Soft Altitude
3rd Sep 2007, 15:33
Just a little bit more clarification on that last sentence, Panama, would be nice.
Cheers.

Panama Jack
3rd Sep 2007, 15:43
Sure, and sorry if I left it a little vague.

I am specifically talking about the seniority and career progression issue. I cite the 05 Aug 2007 issue of "Hello Gulf Air":

Further more, there is good news for our co-pilots, as flight operations is revising the seniority system. We have started with the upgrading process already. More details on this will follow from flight operations management.

This issue had been raised by a number of people to the new management that arrived in April and from all indications, it hasn't fallen on entirely deaf ears.

What the results will be remains to be seen, however, I see the indications as positive or at least better than before.

I guardedly say "as of this week," because so far in the last 12 months we've gone through a number of twists and turns.