PDA

View Full Version : AOL Hell or not?

Parapunter
2nd Sep 2007, 14:44
My folks are with AOL & have been for a few years. At my urging, they've gone broadband & wireless. Now the fun begins. The router they're using is a Belkin F5D7362 & the pc's in the house connect to it no problem at all. However, the router shows no incoming internet connection I.e. it's green light is not lit. However, the phone line works & it's little green light is lit.

So, yesterday, I spoke to BT who insisted that there is no fault on the line or at the exchange. Then I spoke to AOL who insisted there was no problem with their gear at the exchange & no problem with the line to my mum & dad's house. So still no internet. The AOL guy then told me that Belkin routers are incompatible with AOL & we would need to call Belkin to get some tech settings to make it work. I just don't believe this - I've set up dozen's of routers & never heard this before infact the only setting that I've had to change for AOL is the MTU. So we talk to Belkin & they insist that's not true. Still no internet.

I've advised my mum & dad to ditch AOL on the basis that they appear to be a bollock scratching sack of scumbags, but they're keen on the free phone calls chucked in with the deal.

I will take any possible technical advice offered as I can't see why this router should not connect, other than we are not receiving a connection from the exchange & neither BT or AOL will concede this.

db16
2nd Sep 2007, 14:47
You will have to set it up with all the relevant data maybe even the phone no but I am sure that you know this!

Is there an installation CD? Running this may well help as will having an 'over-ride' net address' ie http//www.023456-78

Gonzo
2nd Sep 2007, 14:59
I've heard of a few problems with AOL/Belkin. I Googled "problems belkin AOL" and pages and pages stuff came up, with your router model too......Have a look at this (http://www.reviewcentre.com/review139391.html) page.

Have you tried 'reset to factory settings'?

PingDit
2nd Sep 2007, 15:11
I had exactly the same problem with AOL/Belkin a few months ago. In the end I switched to sky who provided their own router which works brilliantly. If you're considering staying with AOL, I think a router change will be the easiest fix.
Good luck,

PingDit

Parapunter
2nd Sep 2007, 15:12
I did a hard re-set yesterday & started again from scratch. As I say, the pc connects to the router, but the router indicates no connection to the internet.:ugh:

MarcJF
2nd Sep 2007, 20:18
Had the same problem a few months back. Went to PC World and bought a new router, Netgear, cost around £60 but works fine with main PC and 3 wireless laptops. AOL is generally a pain, but once you're used to it, its sometimes easier to solve the problem than change IP.

Parapunter
2nd Sep 2007, 20:33
Thanks for the replies chaps. Quick think - we're going to try a firmware update as a last throw of the dice. Agreed that a new ISP would be a pain. AOL totally unhelpful though & Whilst I'm no pro, I'm very experienced in wireless networking & I'm stumped.:{

BOAC
2nd Sep 2007, 20:50
Don't forget the usual caveat NOT to accept the first level 'help' on AOL in this sort of situation. Demand to be raised to at least second level support, where you will be past the 'please plug in to the master socket' etc. No 2 son had this recently, and the first level script said 'master socket' and then 'system restore' and it turned out to be a knackered BT 190 Voyager modem when he got to level 2.:mad:

Danny
3rd Sep 2007, 10:39
AOL... total PITA. If you are a PPRuNer and an AOL user then well done. However, the majority of AOL users cannot register for PPRuNe as their mail system automatically blocks the automatically generated emails with the verification codes.

Sorry, but anyone who goes with AOL will be getting a second rate service provider. A bit like all those MS Windows users who follow the pack just because... :oh:

Baa, baaa.

mcdhu
3rd Sep 2007, 11:08
Danny, I beg to differ. When I took delivery of my first PC circa 2000, the first disc I came across in the packaging was the AOL disc. In it went and AOL has been fine ever since. The upgrade to BB (delivering about 4 Megs) went fine with the Netgear router they provided and I have never (touches wood) had any problems with Pprune - apart from some self inflicted ones in the early days due to my own incompetence.

Maybe I'm the exception that proves the rule!!

Cheers all,
mcdhu

BOAC
3rd Sep 2007, 11:30
Danny - I think you are out-of-date:) Talk to PPT - there is a fix for AOL mail.

There are several 'fixes' for AOL users, http://www.usna.org/aolspamfilter.html, and this (http://postmaster.aol.com/tools/whitelist_guides.html) is AOL's solution for bulk senders.

Notwithstanding I gave it up years ago....................

Sam-MAN
3rd Sep 2007, 11:57
When we first got our wireless AOL it was hell... Routers wouldn't working, wouldn't connect to PC's or anything. Your best off speaking to AOL, and buying the routers directly from then, that way you know it will work. We also spent about 2 weeks trying to get the WEP key off them

Sam-MAN
3rd Sep 2007, 12:33
We had to get the WEP key off AOL, about 26 characters long :eek:

I also don't get certain emails through AOL, don't know why.

Parapunter
3rd Sep 2007, 14:03
FWIW I can't stick AOL either & I've been on at them to get rid, but they're wrinklies & they're comfy with it. I've set up wireless networks with Linksys, netgear & Belkin for people using Tiscali, Orange, BT & Pipex & never had an intractable problem like this before.

What makes it worse is the buck passing between suppliers, although I believe AOL could fix this or at least point me in the right direction, they refuse to do so. I guess it's time to give in & fork out for a new router.

slim_slag
3rd Sep 2007, 14:22
You could also try that router on another ADSL enabled line and see if the green light comes on. Have you tried it with nothing else plugged into your home phone network, including any Sky boxes? Just one filter and the modem?

Is your exchange unbundled? If not, you can try logging onto the bt network: username you enter into your modem is bt_test@startup_domain (no password) which will let you connect to the BT network and cut AOL out of the loop. If you get an IP, then that limited account will let you navigate to http://www.bt.net/digitaldemo/ If that works you can go back to AOL and tell them not to point the fingers elsewhere, but only if your exchange isn't unbundled for AOL.

BOAC
3rd Sep 2007, 14:24
pp - any help (http://web.belkin.com/support/kb/kb.asp?a=2895)? Looks like a convoluted solution but if it works...................

green granite
3rd Sep 2007, 16:24
I just love the way that information sheet says "You must be running AOL version 7.0 or higher. If you are not running AOL version 7.0 or higher, please upgrade your AOL version by going to AOL keyword Upgrade".

Superb advice when you have no internet access :ugh::ugh:

Flyingspaniard
27th Sep 2007, 12:26
I've been using AOL for sometime now, and would have disagree with most of the remarks here. Despite the fact that the AOL client is very annoying the broadband service itself, I've never had a problem with.
My router is a non aol router, but provided you use the correct settings it connects fine.
These are the settings I used, taken straight from AOL's help pages... You should check that the configuration on your router complies with this
What are the essential settings for connecting to AOL?
When setting up a router, you will be prompted to enter certain details that govern the type of connection you establish. Depending on the hardware you have, the way in which you enter these details may differ. However, you are likely to be prompted to enter them during the installation of your router and also a wireless adapter, should you choose to use a wireless setup.
Some router installation guides will automatically enter some of these details. Therefore, you may not be prompted for them all. In other cases, the options will be named differently. If you experience problems setting up your chosen home networking solution, you should refer to the documentation included with the device.
Required Details:
Connection Protocol: PPPoA
VPI: 0 Note that sometimes you will be asked for both figures together (VPI/VCI). In that instance, you enter them separated by a comma: 0,38
VCI: 38
Username: [email protected]
Password: youraolpassword
Please read these important guidelines about Screen Names and passwords used to configure a router to sign on to AOL.
Wireless Settings:
When configuring a wireless router, you may also be prompted for the following:
SSID: This is the 'name' of the router that you are using and is used by wireless adapters when they attempt to establish a connection.
WEP Key: The WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy) key is the equivalent of a password on your router. Depending on your setup, it may be necessary to define one of these and ensure that any wireless adapters that connect to the router have the same key in their settings.
Network Type: There are a number of possible choices available here, but, if the option is available, you should choose Base Station.
MTU Setting: MTU (Maximum Transfer Unit) defines the largest data packet size you can transmit in one go across a network. The AOL network runs at an MTU of 1400. Many routers have inbuilt auto-configurations where the hardware identifies that the AOL traffic has an MTU of 1400 and dynamically adjusts. Alternatively you may have to manually change the MTU setting on the modem router. If the router hardware does not have this facility, the MTU setting can manually be changed on the computer to 1400.
You can change the MTU setting on your computer by using DrTCP. This is a free software utility that is a shortcut to editing your registry. This is available at: http://www.broadbandreports.com/drtcp.
MRU Setting: MRU (Maximum Routing Unit) is required by some modem routers and should be set to the same value as the MTU of 1400.
MSS Setting: MSS (Maximum Segment Size) is required by some modem routers and dynamically adjusts the packet size to fit the MTU. It should be set to 1360.
I might be biased, but that's because I worked for them for 2 years ;-)

PS: Don't forget that you should setup & use a separate master screenname for the router otherwise you will experience problems each time you login else where.

Parapunter
27th Sep 2007, 19:10
I appreciate the input Mr Spaniard & yours, BOAC, but we've looked into both & the settings are right & the AOL version is current.

Sorry to have not updated in a while, but I'm 100 miles from ma & pa, so progress is slow. Next week, I'm going armed with a Netgear & another Belkin router, new microfilters & if all else fails, a club hammer.

In the end, if they won't ditch AOL, then it is, supposing AOL's at fault, their lookout. There is only so much one can do. The unforgivable part is the lack of care from anyone. BT, Belkin & AOL. One of them could at least get involved, but they all say not me guv.:ugh:

EI-WAT
8th Oct 2007, 15:46
Connection Protocol: PPPoA
VPI: 0 Note that sometimes you will be asked for both figures together (VPI/VCI). In that instance, you enter them separated by a comma: 0,38
VCI: 38
Username: http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?emailimage=015f81e1732375cff5daa15c57379183
Password: youraolpassword

Connection Protocal Should be PPPOE

Why not try contacting theres guys and they should be able to help even if your not at your parents:

http://help.aol.co.uk/article.adp?id=20060814072509990002

niknak
8th Oct 2007, 16:49
I recentley migrated from AOL to BT Broadband and I must say that, having expected the nightmare of all nightmares in the process, AOl provided all the information immediately which I needed.

The only thing I don't have is, a question I posed here but didn't get an answer, is there and easy way to transfer my AOL email address book to BT without doing it manually?

Friends have suggested that AOL make this deliberately difficult if not impossible, but if anyone has succeeded I'd be eternally grateful fo any information.

Parapunter
22nd Oct 2007, 15:41
I just thought some of you would like an update on this saga...

I had another look at the set up yesterday - I live a long way away from ma & pa, so I don't get to try too often on this problem. Anyway, it turns out they have an AOl modem that came with the broadband set up:ugh:, so I plugged it all in & as distinct from the Belkin router, the internet led lit up. However, the AOL client couldn't see the connection & kept trying to dial in.

So, to cut a long story short, I got rid of all the AOL software (which is a mission in itself), ran cc cleaner & reinstalled it & hey presto, a working broadband connection that is still up 36 hours later.

So, it appears that BT & AOL were in the clear all along & that Belkin were being less than helpful. The next part of the mission is to find a wireless router that AOL likes & works with. I shall keep you informed and thanks everyone for all your suggestions and help.

BOAC
22nd Oct 2007, 17:26
miknak - did you look at epreserver or http://blog.kevindonahue.com/archives/2004/03/12/convert_aol_address_book_to_outlook/ as given by Google?

Parapunter
19th Nov 2007, 18:51
Final update if anyone remembers this one. I added a Netgear DG834 router & the internet connection has remained up now for two weeks faultlessly. I still think all concerned could have been more helpfull & the only people who came out of this are the prooners who offered advice. Thanks guys :ok::ok: