PDA

View Full Version : Possible fraud, please advise.

desertopsguy
1st Sep 2007, 10:34
Hello all,

We are an airline based in the middle east and I have recently been forwarded an email from our finance dept with a bill for 47'000 Euro.

These are apparently for overflight charges for 'North Africa'

We do not operate in this area.

The email originated from this address [email protected] ([email protected])

We suspect that it is fraudulent as it did not have any accommpanying or supporting documentation.

Can someone out there please advise how overflight charges in Africa are normally billed. I assume it is like the rest of the world, on a 'per country' basis.

Either way, we will not be paying these charges.

Please be vigilant, I've heard of this type of thing before.

Rgds,

DOG

routechecker
1st Sep 2007, 14:27
Google is your friend ;)

http://www.fraudwatchers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2911

rgds

merlinxx
3rd Sep 2007, 08:43
False!!. No Governmental agency not authorised agent of same, would use Hotmail as an E-mail service. Please info your finance folks to ignore and certainly do not pay, but please foolowing the following path:

01/ As this is marked in Euros, pass to Eurocontrol & ASECNA for action.
02/ Pass to your local CAA for investigation.
03/ Get your IT security folks to initiate a trace of the Hotmail address, this can be done fairly quickly with the right ctcs.

Good luck.

PS. I remember these started coming out of various Southern Med North African states, mainly initiated by disgruntled ex employees of the various local permit agents, also some past ATC assistants.

Beer_n_Tabs
3rd Sep 2007, 13:44
Or you could just take it for what it is...........a scam......and hit the 'delete' button :ok:

I probably get this email every month, along with the

'you have won the Euro Lottery etc etc ',

'My name is UmFooFoo Umbongo my father was a banker in Nigeria etc etc'

'Make your d*ck 4ft long with these pills etc etc'
*I got quite paranoid about that at 1st*

:ok:

acmi48
3rd Sep 2007, 16:44
happens all the time to us..with a message that your flights will be forbidden
to cross africa.. really put the poop up our maint sales dept who got one.

always the HINT is the mispelling of ASECNA

file 13 is the best place along with the letters from your long lost benefactor in lagos with a large deposit..

desertopsguy
5th Sep 2007, 08:37
Thanks guys,

We did a little researching ourselves and found that ASECNA use emails ending in .aero and .org

We have passed it on to them by email but so far no response so we don't know how seriously they take this kind of thing.

Thanks again for your advice.

DOG