PDA

View Full Version : Buying kit

effortless
1st Sep 2007, 10:11
I have just had to contribute to yet another poor young squaddy's kit fund. I cannot believe that so many of them are still having to buy decent boots and their own kevlar. Or am I being conned?:mad:

tucumseh
1st Sep 2007, 10:36
It’s called policy.

If the kit they are issued with is deemed “fit for purpose” then if they want something else it’s buy your own. That’s why Silverman’s do a roaring trade.

However, this policy is routinely stretched. Kit is not always fit for purpose. In fact, basic kit is not always supplied in the first place. Not just what you wear but also what you carry, use and consume.

The aircraft world is actually quite well served in this respect. You may buy your own pair of boots, but when was the last time you had to buy and fit an antenna because your radio didn’t work without it and none was supplied? A no-brainer you would think, but this is a well-known scenario faced by vulnerable troops in theatre. Thank God for some companies I could mention who effectively “sponsor” units by supplying such ancillaries gratis. The issue of Kevlar you mention was, of course, key to the tragic loss of Sgt Roberts.

It’s also called abrogation of Duty of Care.

heavybuffet
1st Sep 2007, 15:47
I couldn't disagree more stongly. I am shortly to deploy to Afghanistan and I have been issued sack loads of kit. I have 3 different types of boots for different conditions, all excellent. I have absolutely stack loads of kit for every occasion. I think we are very well equiped. :ok:

I realise that several years back there was quite a few issues but if anyone is deploying now without the right kit it is probably their own fault for not reporting to stores to demand their entitlement.

As for the Armed Forces Compensation scheme....well that would be a thread in it's own right.:mad:

Report Line
1st Sep 2007, 17:03
Yep,

I think those spouting forth about kit problems should do a bit of research - or go on Ops. Kit nowadays is very good. You will always get the occassional supply glitch - or should I say more accurately QM glitch, where for whatever reason the kit doesn't get to where it is needed. But on the whole kit has improved massively over the last 20 years. Squaddies get into the press because they tell their parents they have to buy kit, but in fact they feel the need to buy the Gucci kit from some dodgey kit supplier. As an ex Inf trials officer I know that the kit that is being sold is sometimes seconds and usually is not compliant in terms of performance with the tech standards required for personal clothing and equipment. The guy with the Gucci kit may well stand out like the dog b*ollocks on a Taliban night sight (yes they do have them - and they will have more when they cash in their Korean dollars) because his chest webbing isn't IRR to standard - not to mention flame retardant to the required levels etc etc.
IMHO Officers should not permit individuals to wear non-issue kit for these and a multitiude of similar reasons not least of which - duty of care.

Mr C Hinecap
1st Sep 2007, 19:21
Many guys do buy their own boots, but the issue boots are pretty good now with current trials of new ones always on the go.

As for kevlar - conned there. The newer kevlar is in theatre and issued to those who need it. I have not heard any complaints on that one in the system.

tucumseh
1st Sep 2007, 20:21
Well, one of the few times I wholeheartedly agree with the people at the top (including Report Line’s ex-boss, I think), people come out with different experiences – which of course I don’t deny as everyone has a different story. Just shows you there must be a quite variable approach to supplying the right kit (and I don’t think the original post was really talking about “Gucci” kit). The example I quoted is real, and I experienced it first hand. There’s more, but I suppose I can’t quote the rather extensive report due to the DIN. I'd be amazed if all the problems have been wholly corrected, although I know some issues are being addressed.

effortless
2nd Sep 2007, 09:46
In truth it may be that the families are more worried and less informed about the current situation. I am under the impression that things are inconsistent.

Report Line
2nd Sep 2007, 10:03
Just to add to my last post iIshould also point out that what you carry in the field is a personal matter. Apart from the ammo, rats etc etc. If you do want the latest head torch or webbing belt, thermo insulated mug, self heating pocket warmers then this type of stuff is rarely general service issue so you will have to pay a visit to the high street.

On the boots front I was involved with the trialling of boots. We discovered that the lab results were completley contrary to the customer survey results. ie the Permovapour boots which turned uncomfortable very quickly because of multi layering and rucking, and which retained water for same reasons were the boots of choice for the troops. The reason for this was the Gucci label on the boot (G*retex). The troops saw the label - read across to the Silverman's catalogue and saw boots coming in at nearly 150-200 sterling and thought hmmm expensive boot - must be the best. I suspect this applies to some extent today with troops looking at the service kit automatically as second best and preferring the the ones from the catalogue worn by the Kays catalogue storm trooper head to toe in black neoprene carrying the MP5K.