PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a new FI(H) in UK - your views

anvilman
31st Aug 2007, 03:04
[ Moved from Instructors forum, thanks Whirlybird ]

Hi all

I am currently in Aus, but planning to relocate (back) to the UK early next year. By then I should have
- Australian CPL(H), with approx
- 250 hrs TT, 100 PIC, all on R22/R44
- Also have JAA PPL(A) with 120 hrs, lapsed, but that is by the by.

This should allow me to obtain a JAA CPL(H), subject to JAA exams etc, and then start an FI(H) course. I really want to instruct, not just build hours, and enjoy teaching theory etc. I can see a long term future doing it, either full or part time.

Would welcome any comments, views, similar experiences on any of the following:

- current/projected general level of opportunies, or not, for ~300 hr first time heli instructors (south or west England)?

- what are peoples views on age when starting out as an instructor (I will be 37 next year)?

- is there a preference for full or part time instructors? I sense there are many of you doing the part time route?

- are there large variations in work between summer and winter? (in Sydney, the demand is somewhat more even throughout the year)

- is it better to do more charter work before doing FIC, to give yourself more hours, or is it better just to get on with it and do the FIC as soon as you are able?

Really appreciate any thoughts. Many thanks.

manfromuncle
31st Aug 2007, 06:10
I really wouldn't bother being an FI(H) in the UK. You will only earn about £18-£20k a year (for a long working week), and living costs are horrendous in the UK. You're better off going to the airlines. The UK training market has shrunk somewhat due to the high cost. See my previous post on the 'bond sponsorship' thread.

jeepys
1st Sep 2007, 10:10
Anvilman,

PM me if you want my opinion. What the last reply has stated is true, however, the FI is just the start. We all have to start somewhere. What happens after that is anyones guess. At 37 you are not too young to continue onto other flying prospects.

Heliman01
1st Sep 2007, 16:16
If you come back to the Uk with an Oz cpl(H) you will have to do the full set of 13 JAR cpl(H) exams before they let you do your JAR FI course. The UK CAA give no credit for a new Oz cpl.
If you really want to teach then stay in Oz and get there FI rating and work there for a while, as you will have to start from scratch in the UK.

Droopystop
2nd Sep 2007, 17:53
If you can get charter work in Oz with your current experience, go for it, because you almost certainly won't get any in the UK.

Doing the instructor thing is a great career move, but pay and conditions are poor.

And CHECK with the UK CAA about what you Oz experience counts for.... they might only credit you with a PPL.

heli_spy
2nd Sep 2007, 23:15
Hi
Where are you doing your flying at the moment ?
The CAA will credit you with your Australian time as the holder of an ICAO CPL(H).
If you have a valid Oz CPL(H) when you get back to the UK to convert to a JAA CPL(H) you wil need to jump through the following hoops :
Do the 9 (CPL) or 13 (ATPL)H exams.
Go for a flight with the head of training at the UK FTO who will determine the hours you require prior to sitting the 170A.You do not have to do the full 30 or 35 hour course.
Do a night rating and required instrument time.
Pass a Class 1 Medical at Gatwick
Sit and pass a flight test which is a bit tougher than the Australian one in my opinion, full on Nav test ending up with a track crawl on an OS map then general handling, emergencies etc.
Budget on £8000 minimum and six to nine months for the above not including living expenses and don't hold your breath for a job. There aren't many about for 300 hour pilots.
Cheers

Staticdroop
3rd Sep 2007, 15:29
heli_spy has hit the nail on the head, it is not a simple crossover and it will cost a not inconsiderable amount of money. The going rate as an instructor around £40 per/hour (i may be a bit out of date) and that is just the flying hour, briefing and de-briefing take about 1 1/2 hours for a 45 min flight, so i'm sure you can see it's a long day if you want to make a decent living. However if your doing it part time and for fun and have another job that pays the bills then it can be quite entertaining.
Good luck:ok:

anvilman
5th Sep 2007, 03:20
Thanks all for your replies so far, much appreciated. Yes, I am aware of the nightmare conversion that awaits me. To be honest, I would stay longer here to do more flying but family/personal reasons will bring me back to the UK. It is certainly cheaper here, and better weather year round, but c'est la vie. On the other hand, you can't beat an English pub when the weather is bad.

I am initially looking at the part-time FI route and hope to rely on my IT job to pay the bills, at least to start with. Then I'll see where it takes me, and try to enjoy each step at a time.