PDA

View Full Version : How Does One "Quote" in a Reply

RobertS975
31st Aug 2007, 02:05
I have looked all over for the "Quote" button or something similar and have not found it! I know it is something stupid that I am overlooking, but after searching through FAQs, I give up!

So someone clue me in, please.

kiwi chick
31st Aug 2007, 02:17
Hey Robert! :ok:

I've had a couple of wines, so will have to talk myself thru this, but... :ooh:

I have looked all over for the "Quote" button or something similar and have not found it! I know it is something stupid that I am overlooking, but after searching through FAQs, I give up!

Hit the reply button (if you already haven't...)

Type whatever you want to type. Find whatever you want to quote (by scrolling down thru the posts - if it's not there and further back, you can click down the bottom "see all posts in this thread" or sumthing like that)

Highlight what you want, right click, copy, come back to your white box (reply - you know what i mean - this bit I'm typing in now hahahahahaha!) then right click paste. Up the top of this white bit is a little "speech looking thing" - very last icon on right that looks like a speech bubble with dots in it.

Highlight the stuff you've pasted, then click on the speech bubble thingy and it puts [quote][quote] round it and, woah lah!! You've quoted.

Try it now, go on, let me see if you can do it. Quote this:

Kiwis do NOT shag sheep. :ok:

Kiwi Chick

Tarq57
31st Aug 2007, 03:14
Another very easy way (but without the forum "quote by XXX") is to simply type a "[" then a "quote" then a "]", the text you want,(usually copied and pasted) then "[", "/", "quote", "]". And it ends up looking like this: maybe not. But I'm not so sure about Aussies.

Whirlygig
31st Aug 2007, 06:13
If you want to identify the name of the person you are quoting, type (or insert) [quote=Whirls] text you want to quote [/quote "close square bracket"

If I typed in a ], then you wouldn't have been able to see the VB code used!!

Cheers

Whirls

Bravo73
31st Aug 2007, 06:51
If you want to identify the name of the person you are quoting

Or, if you want to be a real smart@rse and not only quote who the reference came from but also where the reference came from (like above), do the following:

Click on the reply button in the bottom right hand corner of a post. In the URL box for the 'reply', the final bit will say "&noquote=1". Delete the "1" and press ENTER. Ta-da!

:8

HTH

Whirlygig
31st Aug 2007, 07:17
Or, if you want to be staggeringly pretentious, one could type,

Bravo73 suggested eruditely "Click on the reply button in the bottom right hand corner of a post" ...

Cheers

Whirls

Bravo73
31st Aug 2007, 07:19
:D:D:D

:E

Nice one, Whirls!

RobertS975
31st Aug 2007, 14:26
Kiwis do NOT shag sheep
Let's see if this worked?

Well, that's a bit harder than many other BBs I participate in. Now, I will work on getting the name of the author into the quote!

RobertS975
31st Aug 2007, 14:30
Or, if you want to be a real smart@rse and not only quote who the reference came from but also where the reference came from (like above), do the following:
Click on the reply button in the bottom right hand corner of a post. In the URL box for the 'reply', the final bit will say "&noquote=1". Delete the "1" and press ENTER. Ta-da!

Where did you guys find these things out? Thanks.

Saab Dastard
31st Aug 2007, 14:36
Well, Bravo73 is just describing a workaround for the fact that the QUOTE button was removed from all forums to prevent the proliferation of vast quantities of unnecessary quoting of entire posts - this was having a major impact on the performance of the site.

May the quote be with you - but use it wisely, young Luke!

SD

amanoffewwords
31st Aug 2007, 15:25
Whirlywig
There is always a way around your dilemma:
If I typed in a ], then you wouldn't have been able to see the VB code used!!

amanoffewwords
31st Aug 2007, 15:27
Where did you guys find these things out? Thanks.
On the vBulletin site (http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/misc.php?do=bbcode)

Saab Dastard
31st Aug 2007, 17:31
Whirlywig

Like it! :)

amanoffewwords
31st Aug 2007, 20:06
ooooops!:ouch: sorry Whirlygig.

I shall never pprune and drink at the same time again.

wunhunglo
5th Sep 2007, 12:28
You mean like this [Another very easy way (but without the forum "quote by XXX") is to simply type a "[" then a "quote" then a "]", the text you want,(usually copied and pasted) then "[", "/", "quote", "]". And it ends up looking like this]?

wunhunglo
5th Sep 2007, 12:33
Mmmm [,/,I shall never pprune and drink at the same time again,]

wunhunglo
5th Sep 2007, 12:37

Saab Dastard
5th Sep 2007, 16:30
Let us know when you are done...

ps - which hangslo? L or R?

SD

SyllogismCheck
6th Sep 2007, 08:25
It's very simple.

Type before the text you want to quote. Then type after the text you're quoting.

If you want to include the name of the person you're quoting, simply amend the first piece of code, if you wanted to quote me for example, to read Then close as before with

In all of the above examples the code required is the part in square brackets, including the brackets themselves.

:}:{:ok:
VVV

Bushfiva
6th Sep 2007, 08:32
I'm very simple.

But watch out for people who abuse the system.

RobertS975
1st Aug 2011, 12:58
Test post.
It's very simple.

mixture
1st Aug 2011, 15:34
Must have taken you longer to find the post from 2007 than to post your test. :E