PDA

View Full Version : SA Flying schools and Jobs in Nam/Bots

10th Nov 2005, 11:04
I like probabbly hundreds of others am heading to Maun in Jan to try and get a jumpstart into the flying business. I got the flights booked, i've had more pricks than a two bob hooker (vaccinations) and am redy to go! Does anyone have any info about how to get from Joburg to Maun. Do any charter companies help out and flog spare seats cheap, are there busses or do I have to bight the bullet and fly Air Botswana? Any info would be great, Cheers

MysticFlyer
10th Nov 2005, 11:37
Spelling lessons under the big tree opposite the Caltex garage!

A-ha, now how to get to FBMN? Bight into that bullet man, Africa is lion country! The shots won't help for that!

:}

Solid Rust Twotter
10th Nov 2005, 12:06
Might help if you can round up a few more folks on here, get an old clunker or make sure one of the guys has a car, share costs and head up there by road.

..Or there's always Air Bots...:E :ok:

PAXboy
10th Nov 2005, 17:48
How could you phrase such an ungenerous statement ... Air Bots (http://www.airbotswana.co.bw/) Rocks!

I looked through the 'History' page of their site but one item is missing. :eek: Ooh, I am awful ...
--------------------
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

mr_ericosta
10th Nov 2005, 18:03
Just came back from Maun today myself. Drove up with friends but I know Air Botswana fly up there from Gaborone or Joburg.

You can take the Intercape bus from Joburg to Gaborone for R130 if that helps to keep costs down but not so convenient. Don't think there is a bus from Gabs to Maun though...

They expect you to camp over for a while but from what I understood January may be a bit late for recruiting.

Good luck!
Eric

PilotATC
28th Nov 2005, 14:03
Hi Everyone,

I wonder if those in the know can help me.

I am traveling to Kenya and then to Botswana for 2 weeks next February in the hope of securing a pilot position.

1) Are these good places to start when looking for work in light of my experience(see below) or would you suggest somewhere else in Africa??

2)what is the best way to go about things when there??

3)In your experience is it best to call / fax the respective operators about your arrival or just turn up with CV in hand (I am very keen and confident but I do not want to be rude).

I have around 300 hours and should be at least around the 370 mark by the time I go. I have 100 hours Multi and this should be at least 120 - 150 when I leave for Africa.

I have a UK issued CPL / IR / MCC. I am an ex air traffic controller and I am 27 years old. I speak English, French and basic to intermediate Russian if that is of any help!!!!

Thanks in advance guys and gals.

Gunship
28th Nov 2005, 15:36
Can not be of great help other than wishing you all the very best and hope that your dreams come true mate. :ok:

Cheers and a big good luck ! Oportunities are there - they just need to be taken.

Gunss

flyhardmo
28th Nov 2005, 17:39
First advice carry alot of cash although not on you, this is africa mate. In my experience and from what ive seen having a Cv in hand usually works best, make your face known.
The first major obstacle you always need to overcome is licencing so first stop should be the CAA of that particular country. Be nice and always smile or life will be hell.
Also try and make a stop through tanzania there is a shortage of experienced crew but by the time you come people might have moved up.
Persistance is key, dont give up no matter how bad it looks. Usually the chance happens and you have to be there ready to go. Timing is important. Try to arrive just before the beginning of the high season so all your conversions can be sorted out. Thats when movement is high amongst pilots.
Good luck. It is an adventure :ok:

PilotATC
29th Nov 2005, 08:17
Gunship,

Thank you very much for your well wishes. :ok:

Flyhardmo,

Thank you very much for the advice. I will be sure to visit Tanzania and make sure that I have lots of CVs on the ready.

First stop

It is indeed an adventure and I am itching at the bit to get going.

PilotATC:D

Solid Rust Twotter
29th Nov 2005, 09:04
If your bits are already itching you'll fit right in, mate....:E

Good luck and give Maun a try as well.:ok:

Mungalui
29th Nov 2005, 09:20
Yes,Solid Rust Twotter is right.
Things are definitely happening in the the mesmerising metropolis of Maun.
Be sure to check it out.

Low time pilots are already starting to fill Audi Camp.:E

Good luck.:ok:

PilotATC
29th Nov 2005, 13:37
Solid Rust Twotter,

My bits are indeed itching, I can not wait to go. Thanks for the well wishes mate and I will definately check out Maun too.

Mangalui, Maun looks great and I will be certain to make myself known when there. I just wish I had bitten the bullet and done this months ago.

Thanks again guys.

wheels up
30th Nov 2005, 01:33
Have heard that work permits are very hard to come by for foreign pilots in Kenya. Might want to give that one a skip.

nyathi
30th Nov 2005, 05:59
Be sure to give Namibia also a try! As everybody say Botswana is a definit especially Maun!!

Have your CV in hand and go show your face, it doenst help faxing or emailing, those CV's just get chucked away!!

Good Luck!!:ok:

Phenomenon
30th Nov 2005, 09:00
Howzit PilotATC

I'm in Nairobi at the moment and wil be here until about the end of February. To e honest this place is a hub of aviation activity, especially at Wilson airport, but it is also to to organized and at times seems to be a symphony of cock ups.

I'm currently contracted out by a South African company but even that was difficult because the government is pretty strict on foreign pilots operating in Kenya.

There is definitely jobs available here so it's just getting past the big chiefs in charge.

Good luck mate.

Let me know if you need some help when you're in Nairobi.

Cheers...

PilotATC
30th Nov 2005, 11:09
Thanks again for the info guys,

Phenomenon, thanks for the headsup, I will certainly give it a go in Kenya and then move onto Maun and then Tanzania before heading back to Kenya again.

I will PM you closer to the time if you do not mind as you may be able to point me in the right direction etc when there.

I had heard about the difficulty to obtain a work permit as a Foreign pilot - but I also read it can and has been done so I am going to give it a good try. I also have the places mentioned above to check out too.

My confirmed travel dates are:

February 3rd - 17th unless I get the opportunity stay!!!!

Thanks again.

Solid Rust Twotter
30th Nov 2005, 16:56
Not sure there'll be anything going in Maun by then. The jobs usually go pretty quickly in the first few weeks of the year. Never hurts to take a look and knock on some doors, though...:ok:

TangoMikeYankee
28th Mar 2006, 21:47
Can anyone recomend a few flying schools in Southern Africa (does not have to be South Africa) and what aircraft do they use for training?

Thanks in advance

TMY

FlingWingKing
29th Mar 2006, 09:50
There are many good flying schools in South Africa. 43 Airschool in Port Alfred, a quiant little seaside town is probably the biggest and best....but also a bit on the expensive side.

http://www.43airschool.com/

Also try www.aptrac.com (http://www.aptrac.com). As far as I know it is a school run by South African Airways training captains

AfricanSkies
30th Mar 2006, 11:41
Here are the majority, exlcuding the Johannesburg ones: (excuse the formatting)

Progress Stephanie 041-3721647 [email protected]
Natal Flight Acad 039-3120821 [email protected]
Avstar 033-3864347 fax [email protected]
Deal Alliance Cape Town Deborah 082-495-8179
CFS Gerald 044-876-9036 [email protected]
CFA 011-805-4118 [email protected]
43 Wendy 046-624-2433 [email protected]
Outeniqua Marlene [email protected]
Cape Aero Club 021-934-0234 [email protected]
Airline Pilot Training Centre 041-581-0327 [email protected]
Zero Four Evan 083-5771452 [email protected]
Cape Town Flight Training Centre Fisantekraal 021-976-7053 [email protected]
Southern Right CTIA 021-934-2660 [email protected]
Stellenbosch Flying Club 021-880-0294 [email protected]
Aeronautical Training Solutions CTIA 082-828-9410 [email protected]
Starlite Aviation Virginia 031-573-2716 [email protected]
Avstar Pietermaritzburg 033-386-4745 [email protected]
Westline Aviation BFN 051-451-1717 [email protected]
Nelair 013-741-8025 [email protected]
Sheltham PE 041-581-4194 [email protected]
Cape Flying Services George 044-876-9217 [email protected]
Border 043-736-6181 [email protected]
Algoa 041-581-3274 [email protected]
Flamingo East London 043-736-3400 [email protected]

and here are the email addresses :

[email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

:ok:

jimmythegong
4th Apr 2006, 17:38
Sam Berriman and his brother Vaughan have taken over Benoni Brakpan flight school, and apart from the fact they are both nice guys, Brakpan is in my opinion the best place to do some fun flying for the following reasons:
The pricing structure is not bad at all.
You are not plagued by the uneccessary wastage of taxi time as well as lengthy radio procedures that you find at Rand and Lanseria, as well as Grand Central.
There is far less congestion in the East Rand flying area.
Good luck, and enjoy!:)

LadyHawk
7th Apr 2006, 05:55
You could also try Air Safety or Vic's Flight School, at Rand Airport. As far as I know, they both have C172

Solid Rust Twotter
7th Apr 2006, 16:24
It's doubtful whether the money saved would compensate you for the fuel, time and aggravation of schlepping around after a discount.

grumman_driver
19th Apr 2006, 10:22
The bones have been thrown... After 5 years of social work and teaching the flying bug has finally taken over - posessions sold, CPL/IR course in Kansas booked and with a dream of VFR flying in black Africa alive and well - time to make some preparations. Flying wise should be OK as I have flown AN-2s and PZL 104, been to the Nordkapp and back in a Pa 28, flown in 9 countries and althrough with only 300hrs I'm an optimist. Will make sure to get some 206/210 time while doing the course as well. My question is - when is the best time to head down to Botswana/Namibia? After researching the subject on the net it would appear that it's December but - it's the middle of the rainy season, so how is it? Any advice on jobhunting that hasn't been mentioned before? And for the experienced - I'm a big chap with 190cm and some 100kgs, would that be a big disadvantage in looking for this 206 flying job?
Kris

Jelly Doughnut
19th Apr 2006, 12:32
Don't worry, the guys down there will forcefeed you on a diet of beer and meat, until you are big and strong enough ;)

flybyshark
19th Apr 2006, 14:42
I was told Jan to April is the best time but after being there it seems that September time is also a good time to visit, several people got jobs then and that is also another time when pilots leave.

flying paddy
20th Apr 2006, 08:25
Hi

Plan to arrive around Jan. You will only have 90 days to find a job in Botswana, after that you are out, tight immigration laws here). You will not be working until Aug when the season starts in full. Get as many hours in a 206 as possible as it will be easier to convert licence.

I would say you are to late now. The companies will ask for 50 hours right seat, and 50 hours learning the strips this will be free labour (it is the way it is) so bring plenty of money to live on.

And when you get there network, and speak with a New Zealand accent.

If you have any more questions please feel free to PM me.

Cheers

Paddy

flybyshark
20th Apr 2006, 12:07
There are still a few jobs in town but also the same number of guys waiting that have been there since Jan.

The fuel shortage didnt help this year and so some guys have run out of time and had to leave but made good impressions with the operators so the door is open to come back later in the year when it is rumoured other positions will come up.

A good point made above is the time in the 206, to convert to a bots licence you must have completed 5 hours of training, including the flight test.

Although I did mine in the 172 and will do the 206 rating during my training with my company.

but it is worth taking enough cash to look at passing the law exams, 206 tech and flight test yourself, there is a training school in Maun now and it can be done, you cant actually apply for the licence without a job offer but it shows your commitment and helps the operator to get you through the process that much easier.

lusthansa
26th Apr 2006, 15:47
Hi, I am about to take a one way trip to africa (from Europe) with my licence, garment and money with the intention to stay there forever.

What would you suggest is the best way to find an aviation related or even flight deck job.

I got 500 hrs. total, 26 yrs old, frozen JAR ATPL, taildragger + short field experience , no type rating

do you think it is an extrem risk to go there without connections?

has anyone of you experiences in africa piloting ? (safari flying, surveillance, etc.)

wherecan I get addresses to apply at from?

yours

lusthansa

LostAndFound
26th Apr 2006, 16:02
Africa is a large large large continent lustthansa:ugh: where in africa are u planning to go? south, west, north or east?

Goodluck :ok:

lusthansa
26th Apr 2006, 17:28
Hi, I plan to go to Namibia (first choice), South Africa (2nd choice) and Botswana (3rd choice).

All other countries (as far as w/o civil war and racial probs at present) 4th choice

Yours lusthansa

Do you think it is a true story that a guy from Luxembourg knocked on the doors of the Nairobi A/Ps hangars and got a job as a surveillance pilot, built hours and is now on 747 for an icelandic cargo carrier?

captabcd
27th Apr 2006, 03:11
The guy from Luxemburg story is true. You may want to give it a shot yourself. As long as you are from Europe, you will be given first priority for a job. Who knows you may end up flying large jets straight away.:ok:
Try Jet Link they operate 767’s.

tonyrubini
27th Apr 2006, 09:06
Hi Captabcd,

I was in kenya and Tanzania last month but I did not get the impression that the europeans have some kind of priority. In fact, In kenya you need to have the kenyan licence and work permit (difficult to obtain). In Namibia might be different, but I don't know.

I'm looking for to go back in africa as soon as possible, to search for the job and living there for a while. For this reasons, if you can please write useful info would be very much appreciate.

Thanks a lot

tony

RED LAND ASAP
27th Apr 2006, 09:20
:cool: Hi Lusthanza!!

The three places of ya first choice are the best place to fly in Africa but I believe they would want you to come with a rating lika I did.

But one place where you might get a rating is in Tanzania. These people treated their rated and experienced expats pilots so well that they lost 80% of their work force in a couple of months.

The bill at the end is that they have now to recruit EU guys n giving them a rating if u sign one of their ridiculus bond.

Place n people r great, but can't say same thing of their std n maintenance. But... but... beggers can't be choosers.

Made lot's of hours there, though came home poorer than when I joined.

Check their web site.... I think www.precisionairtz.com (http://www.precisionairtz.com) ...Just pick the ad n phone No. n don't believe a crap from the web site.

Now if u really want to fly in Botswana, take a trip to Maun and walk in the offices of the different little co's that r there. U might b at the right place at the right time. They don't keep cv n give job's to who's behind the door.

Gut Luck!!

R L ASAP:ok:

birdlady
27th Apr 2006, 16:10
Namibia and Botswana are good places to start. SA Im not so sure about as your hours are reasonably low and its difficult to get a work permit. No harm in trying though you might get lucky. From what Ive heard Bots and Namibia are more likely options because of your hours and your shall we say nationality. Im heading out that way at the end of the year so lets hope the market is good. :ok: :ok:

south coast
28th Apr 2006, 08:32
yes, you guys from europe will have no problems.

all you really need do is turn up at these companies offices and they will more than likely hire you on the spot. and because they consider the european licence a superiour licence, they wont even put you on the 206 or 210's...you will probably go straight on to a caravan, king air 200 or 1900.

even with you low hours, not a problem.

the people will all look after you well and help you with everything you need to do...

i think the sooner you guys get out there the sooner you will be employed.

carro
28th Apr 2006, 11:40
G'day guys,

Ok so the Africans love the Europeans - do they like Australians as well?... How about low houred Aussies, looking for a first job?

Ads

south coast
28th Apr 2006, 12:07
yes carro, australians welcome too...infact, they just prefer poeple from the 1st world as they feel the training is ahead of the local...

i would recommend getting yourself over asap...

FToast
28th Apr 2006, 12:29
Am I the only one finding these replies very unfunny (?).

LOAD
28th Apr 2006, 12:36
south coast!

where are you from and from where are your informations about namibia?
i can´t believe what you have told, that european pilots are so welcome there. maybe i am wrong, but i visited all of the companies at eros!

they put you direct in a caravan, 310 or a 414? haha!!! without time on the 206 (the "complex powerhorse") you do not even get a job on any plane there. a european licence helps? you have to have a namibian licence there! you have to do a exam in namibian air law and their radio telefonie licence. last but not least the work permit - the most difficult step!

lies like: "come back tomorrow when the OPS manager is here....." "Oh i am sorry the OPS manager is on an emergency dutie today......." and so on were told.

correct me if i am wrong. i was there at the end of jan. until mid feb.

regards

dieter

Pin Head
28th Apr 2006, 12:37
and chance of getting work in Cape Town?

tonyrubini
28th Apr 2006, 13:24
Guys,

this forum should have been made to help each other, and not to make fun of it.

South coast, if you have some useful info and you would like to share with us, please do so; but don't say something that you don't know, or you just heard from someone.

Load is right, nobody give you a job only becouse you're coming from europe or anywhere else.

I heard that in Sudan are looking for pilots (see my add of about one month ago), but I was not able to get anymore news, and it seems that nobody wants to share some info.

So, please, we are all in the same situation, looking for a pilot position, give an hands to each other is what this forum is made for.

Thanks

tony

wheels up
28th Apr 2006, 15:05
South Coast:

That high altitude and UV exposure finally taking its toll?? Or maybe one too many Algerian Ramadan to blame.

That said, have to agree on your perceptive assessment of the incredible opportunities out here at present. Even the flying schools are predicting a pilot shortage soon.

Pinhead: Plenty of work in Cape Town, although you might have to settle for a business or regional jet position in the beginning until you have built a couple of hours.

Sorry...couldn't help myself.

south coast
28th Apr 2006, 15:10
thanks wheels up for agreeing with me...i am just trying to tell these people how i see it...

i mean, the african adventure should be shared.....

wheels up
28th Apr 2006, 15:18
Absolutely. It wouldn't be fair if we kept all the fun to ourselves..

he, he

SAT_BOSS
28th Apr 2006, 16:38
Guys we are all flyers in the end of the day lets help the guy ... Lusthansa .... You will have a tough but not impossible time .... Have return ticket in your pocket though to get back to Germany ....

Many years ago I went to the USA and battled like a mad man to get a job ... an elderly guy helped me and I flew a PA28 as an instructor for 6 months ..... before I flew a freight dog ... was tough but an adventure nevertheless.

Jobs are not full and plentiful here ... Its not a place for sissies its about luck ie right time right place

Good luck and enjoy Africa, Boerewors and Castle.

south coast
28th Apr 2006, 16:41
well sat boss...if you are going to give advice, at least give good advice...steer well clear of castle...filthy, chemical beer...at least drink something decent like a windhoek!

SAT_BOSS
28th Apr 2006, 16:49
Ahhh you have a good point .... Hey don't laugh I mis a good old Lion!!!

RED LAND ASAP
28th Apr 2006, 19:16
Lusthanza check your PM:ok:

birdlady
28th Apr 2006, 22:02
Well, you know what they say "Never trust a man who drinks castle" :p :p
Sorry, Hat Coat Door

european champion
29th Apr 2006, 06:17
Lusthansa if u dont want to waste ur time in Africa listen to my advice.If you are not S.African,Australian ,N. Zealander avoid Botswana or Namibia,these places are ghetos,if u r not one of them you are not going to get a job,or maybe u have a very slim chance of getting it but u will be flying the 206 for thousand of hours before touching anything bigger(apart from flying there is not much life,especially if u end up in a small town like Maun,u will just be spending ur time in one or two bars listening to the stories of the older pilots who some of them act like they are the veteran bush pilots and you are so privileged to be sitting with them and learn from their stories!)
Anyway my advice is go to East Africa or West Africa,u might have a bit of problem with license conversion and might have to bribe the right people like in Kenya for example but u will definetely get a better job,progression will be faster and lifestyle much better.You have to watch out though,esp.in West Africa,people dont always keep their promises.

Solid Rust Twotter
29th Apr 2006, 07:29
The voice of experience....:hmm:

KESHO
29th Apr 2006, 07:47
Birdlady...I think what they also say is never trust a guy that has been drinking? No?

Castle is not too bad incomparison the the Klippies that is ever so popular in Southern Africa. It has the ability to even turn Bambi into a Warewolf in a matter of a couple drinks.

African beer has yet to make it in the real world. The Germans and Belgians are the real fundis!

Solid Rust Twotter
29th Apr 2006, 08:36
SAB-Miller is the second or third largest brewing conglomerate worldwide and is SA owned. As for the Klippies I think I know three folks who drink it. The rest are whisky and beer men.

Not sure what you mean by turning folks into werewolves. There are far worse concoctions out there than spook and diesel.:ooh:

Beechdrivr
29th Apr 2006, 08:41
Lusthanza...
I flew for many years in Namibia and i'm sure i have a little more authority on the subject than our friend 'Euro champ'. Yes, you will fly a single for a while but there are twins there in the form of the C310, 402, BE58's and not to mention the turboprops. Like in most companies you have to start at the bottom and work your way up the ladder, as you gain experience you'll be rated on the larger aircraft. I flew a single for no more than a year before i was flying most of the twins that there were on offer.
Lifestyle is pretty good, Windhoek is a small city but it's by no way a dump and most of the people are friendly and you'll have an absolute blast over there. Btw, i flew with a host of different nationalities there ranging from and a lot were European!
A lot of the guys i flew with there are now in Europe flying airlines, so obviously it can't be that bad!?
I still miss those days over in Nam. they were good times and i never once regretted going over to learn my craft. Give it a try, you won't be sorry i can promise you that my friend.
Safe flying
BD:ok:

wheels up
29th Apr 2006, 09:04
"African beer has yet to make it in the real world. The Germans and Belgians are the real fundis!"

You obviously never tried Czech beer. oh yeah, and Pilsner Urquell owned by SAB-Miller. By most accounts being the second largest brewing group in the world counts as having made it.

south coast
29th Apr 2006, 10:21
the original czech budvar(spelling) is a good beer.

just by aquiring and merging breweries doesnt make you the best, the largest perhaps, but not the best.re sab

KESHO
29th Apr 2006, 10:25
Wheels up- I do not doubt SAB having made it. They are one of the largest breweries in the world and have obviously made it in the market. They might be the owners of Pislner Urquell and various other European brands, but this does not make the content African. Pilsner Urquell has been around longer then SAB itself.
What I am saying is that you cannot compare African beer culture with European beer culture. The two are worlds apart and will still be for a long time. Culture comes with time, European beers have been around for quite a few years longer then the African equivalents. Take for example Belgium, a country that is a fraction of the size of South Africa and has a culture that allows for over 100 different types of beer. The local pub down the road in Africa will on a good day be stocked with maybe 10 to choose from.Yes the SAB owned African brewed beer is okay, some even pretty good, but it does not quite cater for what the belgian beer does.

It is a matter of taste to a degree, but lets face it, you cannot really even have a debate about the issue.

Cheers!

KESHO

Solid Rust Twotter
29th Apr 2006, 11:42
KESHO, spot on, mate...

There is no real beer culture as such. Most will just settle for the dreck that SAB churns out. They are one of the largest brewers around but they operate beer factories and not real breweries, hence no real beer. I believe they could have a good product if they bothered spending some of their vast advertising budget on actually making good beer.:hmm:

wheels up
29th Apr 2006, 14:45
KESHO

I would also rather drink a beer brewed in a a German, Belgian or Czech micro brewery. There are some pretty good micro-breweries in SA as well. You gotta compare apples with apples.

Then again bear in mind that SAB's Black Label won the best bottled lager in the world. Twice. Competing against the Germans, Belgians and the rest of the beer producing countries. Can't stand the stuff personally.

Considering that the first brewers were the Egyptians, I don't think I agree with your statement that African Beer has yet to make it in the real world.

SRT - hope you don't think your favourite brew is lovingly hand produced by a master brewer in a centuries old copper. If it's any one of the major consumer brands it is produced on an industrial scale in a scrupulously clean, all stainless steel, extremely complicated brewery. The nature of the process lends itself to a high degree of automation.

What was the topic again?

birdlady
29th Apr 2006, 15:05
Somebody comes in here asking for advice on jobs and we end up talking about beer. :ok: :ok:

If I have to drink beer Im an amstel girl otherwise its hard liquor for me :ok: :ok:

Desperate Wannabe
29th Apr 2006, 18:16
Birdlady, gotta agree with you, and how flying advise turned into a beer conversation, God only knows.................pilot types I guess:)

wheels up
29th Apr 2006, 22:40
Having jusht had the oppotshunity to sample acwouple of pshints of Wells Bombardier best Bedford Bitter, I shay bwugger it, the English win.

hic.

wash the tsopic again?

KESHO
30th Apr 2006, 06:41
Birdlady-Amstel is good! What hard stuff do you like then?

Alcohol is part of most pilots and we all take it varying quantities. Gives as a chance to chill and forget the stresses of being bored pilots.

Here is a question for fellow contract dogs: On this dark continent, where is the best/worst (more interested in the worst) beer or other you have tried or had to get to like?

I think Asmara Gin allows for rather colourful and vivid dreams at only a couple dollars for 750ml. Other then that also the good old DRC brewed Congolese piss that sometimes provides kinder suprises like a free toothbrush or cockroach in the sealed bottle are also a character building experience. Also nothing beats good old tooth brushing liquid J&B or Famous Grouse. As for the worst/best beers I am still refreshing the taste buds and the morning after ambiance...

What it would be without the liquid stuff...

KESHO

Solid Rust Twotter
30th Apr 2006, 06:58
Found a couple of nasty surprises in Mosi and Skol is just formaldehyde with a bit of food colouring to suck in the unwary. Waragi can follow you around if you're not careful and the local unlicenced brew has been known to kill as has skokiaan in SA. Stories abound of Kenyans taking it between the eyes in the Nairobi slums drinking some pretty scary homebrew.

Ngok...:ooh: :eek: :yuk:

The Amstel and Amstel Bock in Burundi is pretty good and if you have a contact at the brewery they turn out a couple of really nice special beers for staff only over the Christmas period. Always enjoyed Tembo in Lubumbashi and the Simba wasn't bad either.

If you're ever down South, the Birkenhead, Coelacanth and Gilroy's breweries are making some good stuff. Nottingham Road and Mitchell's aren't doing badly either but try to get the Knysna brewed Mitchell's as the bloke in Cape Town hasn't a clue. Andy Mitchell is now running Birkenhead and he's a good bloke to corner for a chat over a few pints as is Steve Gilroy. Mauritz at the Drayman's in Pretoria turns out a passable weissbier which is great in the summer but his rauchbier needs work.

birdlady
30th Apr 2006, 11:53
As an ex zim lass and half irish one's liver is not what it used to be.......... :\ :\ Hence I usually stick to vodka (feel slightly rough in the morning but really nice on the rocks with a dash of lime) or malibu (revolting sometimes but mixed with right beverage always good and no hangover). :ok:

Most disgusting stuff I've ever tried would definately have to be chubuku, the locally brewed zimbabwean beer. Definately not for the faint hearted especially mixed with tequilla. :yuk: Don juan sherry only 12 dollars (zim) a bottle and your guaranteed to have a good evening. Next morning is a differant story. :O :O

porridge
30th Apr 2006, 12:29
Have to agree with Birdlady – Chibuku definitely was something one had to acquire a taste for and even at school when not much else was available an occasional foray into Lonrho’s finest was required. However, there was no mistaking the smell on one’s persona afterwards was a dead giveaway if the ‘screws’ caught a whiff!
However, fond memories of Zim Castle Pilsner, a couple of crates in the nose of the BE58 sorted out the forward C of G nicely if one was a bit overloaded in the rear! Same went for some excellent brew from Lubumbashi in the 80’s too, both the blonde and the bruin were equally worthy of a long haul back to FALA for personal consumption at the braai on Saturday night!

oldplane
30th Apr 2006, 13:13
Nothing like a Konyagi (34%) or Konyagi gold (76%) to make the beetle fall off his cork for a long time.:ooh: Hamna shida

Solid Rust Twotter
30th Apr 2006, 13:44
Konyagi = Tanzanian cognac and brain cell destroyer.

Also does a pretty good job of stripping paint...:ok: :E

birdlady
30th Apr 2006, 19:25
Porridge...

Please dont tell me you were an ex St Georges or Peter House boy. :uhoh: :uhoh: :suspect:

I myself was a chisi girl untill the nuns got to me....................:ok: :ok:

vaninnam
3rd May 2006, 14:21
Well south coast we have had many windhoeks,remember the series II landrover trip.
Guys relax ,south coast is right about the work situation in Namibia.
Desert air are looking for a german speaking pilot for their bush operation.one of their prospective candidates stayed at my guesthouse last Friday www.kleinwindhoekguesthouse.com .He has 250 hours and said he was thinking about it.
remember no one is going to give you a flying job over the phone.
Ask me nice and you could even use my 1969 230 Merc while job hunting seeing that I am never at home any more anyway.
greetins
vaninnam

Reinier
6th Jun 2006, 15:38
Hi to all

If anyone has a few useful tips on how to make a career of flying,
please let me know.

I'm currently still busy with matric.

Q4NVS
6th Jun 2006, 16:37
Suggest you contact and visit/evaluate some of the local Flying Schools in your area.

It is a tough career to get into, but that's also why we all love it so much.

The Best Job in the World, IF you can Get It..

Desperate Wannabe
7th Jun 2006, 06:02
Get into mining, medcine or engeneering......make heaps of money.....by a Bonnie .........fly for fun:ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

UnDies
7th Jun 2006, 10:45
Mate - helicopters the way to go - a little more costly but well worth it in the end - Try Helibib - dave mouton flies outta pretoria - great instructor - number 012 5433696.

Do it, Do it

Deskjocky
7th Jun 2006, 11:58
First go for an intro flight at a school you like the look of- remember if you want to fly, your first job (thats if you can find one!) once you have your com, are going to be on pistons so you had better decide if you are comfortable in that environment. Jets are faaaaaaaaaar down the road so forget they even exist for now.

Then if the bug bites find out how you are going to pay for this dream, no sense in starting and running out of cash half way- everyone will tell you a different amount but bank on between 150 000 and 200 000 ZAR to go from zero to a multi IF com. It also would not be a bad idea if you also go for a medical before you start- agian no sense in blowing cash if you wont get the medical certificate.

Good luck!

Reinier
7th Jun 2006, 13:49
Thanks to those who have replied so far.

Where there's a will, there's a way (sounds better in afrikaans).

cheers:)

B Sousa
7th Jun 2006, 20:28
Mixed postings above, but yes where there is a will there is a way. Personally with things the way they are today, I would agree with wannabe. Get a good education, make a ton of money, buy a jet and let someone else fly you wherever, whenever. You can have a good life, they can carry a pager.
If you still want to fly, make a ton of money anyway to pay for the training and the many times you will get clipped by schools, instructors etc......
Also consider once you have the licenses necessary, make another ton of money so you can survive while finding that job.......Times have changed, notice some here who are posting and extremely well qualified yet looking for work. Its an eye opener......
Good Luck, whatever you choose.

dr27
8th Jun 2006, 05:54
:ok: Get a qualification before embarking on an aviation career in case this backfires when you between your 30 and 40 and stuck flying.

It helps to start with a huge amount of passion and money alike. Either one of those two is likely to be exhausted after a few years.

Keep on reading PPRUNE as well as AVCOM and you will read about newly qualified CLP desperate to fly even for free.

Unfortunately once bitten by the flying-bug there is no turning back but it is not an easy road.

Good luck

GULF69
8th Jun 2006, 06:37
In addition to a "will and a way" you also need a friendly bank manager... its not cheap.... but worth it in the end!

Thanks to those who have replied so far.

Where there's a will, there's a way (sounds better in afrikaans).

cheers:)

rabidpangolin
8th Jun 2006, 06:55
Not easy to get the cash, even harder to get that first job. Make sure you are prepared to go all the way...get's rough sometimes. One more thing, never never never never never never never never never never ever fly for free. You don't have to charge an arm and a leg, but no reason to mine the road for those who follow. Qualified pilots who fly for free, do a lot of damage to the entry level market, ask any Kiwi. If you've payed for it, you should get payed for it.

Good luck!

Mind the tail!

corkscrew
8th Jun 2006, 15:09
Heaps of money certainly does help, but it is possible to do it on a tight budget.
So if you dont have R200 000 lying around be ready to take a very long time, idealy study something else in between or start working to get some cash, but persevere with those hours. Eventually they accumulate to 200!

As for getting a flying job, well its also about perseverance and having the right attitude. Getting a job on the ground with a decent aviation company is also a good way to get your foot in the door and meet people that could potentially help you out with some work once you get your com.
Working at a busy general aviation airport like Lanseria will also increase your chances to find some work, you not gonna get anywhere if you in the middle of nowhere. You gotta go where the action is.

If you dont have the passion from the start then forget about it 'cause its not gonna be easy! Its an awsome career and a very rewarding one (well, most of the time...) so,

Good luck :ok:

Patches O'Houlihan
14th Jun 2006, 21:28
passion is definitely the word of the day.

there are ways around the cash flow issue. 43 air school offers a cadet scheme where wannabe's like yourself can work at the airschool to get your comm. i think you have to pay for your ppl, then work off the rest over 2 or 3 years. not a bad idea if you're strapped for cash.

then there's always the saa cadet scheme. i've heard snowboarding is quite the trend in hell these days.....

good luck

Reinier
17th Jun 2006, 09:05
Many thanks to those who have helped making my worries a little less.

:ok: Reinier

Jay Bo
26th Aug 2006, 08:27
Just wondering where abouts and how much do pilots pay for accomodation in Maun. Do flying companies offer cheap accomodaton or is it every man for themselves?

thanks

Crusaderbug
26th Aug 2006, 08:56
Two odd years back, the best and cheapest place to spend some time was Audi Camp. You could camp yourself or hire some kitted out tents. There was a good restaurant/pub/pool and close enough to the main road to catch a ride into the main town.The people there were very used to pilots and their budget. I think the prices and info. are on line - watch out for the donkeys:eek:

kingpost
26th Aug 2006, 09:17
I need some help please, when is the best time to go to Maun to seek employment, is it in January?

C185Driver
27th Aug 2006, 03:18
Yeah Audi Camp is good and they give a discount to pilots through the hiring season (Dec-Feb) so only 15 pula a night with your own tent, compared to 120 pula per night for the perminant tents at Audi.

Plus its on a Combi-Van route so its only 2pula to get to the airport each morning, if you can stand being stuffed in a van with 20+ locals!:yuk:
Good pool at audi as well, tho resterant and bar are most expensive in town.

When I was there there was at one time 12 other pilots all staying at Audi!:ok:

Mr Wonderful
28th Aug 2006, 10:48
Hello shiney balls, k' passo?

C185Driver
29th Aug 2006, 04:16
Common ez tas? Q'uell K'Passo Senior.
WIBBY!!!!!:D

Water Wings
29th Aug 2006, 21:32
Thinking of going to Africa (some of you have already been helpful enough to reply to my pm's) but was wanting to check on something relating to Botswana's immigration rules.

I read that you need to have an outward ticket booked. Some countries I am aware of have this same rule but do not enforce it. Just wondering on how strict they are on this in Botswana ie. they will not let you in to the country without an outward ticket??

Replies appreciated.
Cheers, WW

C185Driver
30th Aug 2006, 02:49
Hey WaterWings, the Immigration guys are a bit lax in Bots they might require an ongoing ticket but since Bots is landlocked you can just forge an overland bus ride out or something.:ok:
I didn't get asked anything, so managed to waste $400nz on a ticket out coz I didn't know.:mad:

Hope this helps bro

Water Wings
30th Aug 2006, 07:12
Hey thanks for clearing that up for me man.

Just purchased a ticket to head for Jo-burg late Dec, now I just have to figure out how to book on Air Botswana to get to Maun.

surveytheworld
30th Aug 2006, 09:13
Hey WW
Air Botswana has daily flights from Joburg to Maun, or if scheduling works better you can go via Gabarone. Their website is fairly comprehensive. Ensure you leave lots of time in Joburg between flights.
If you need any suggestions of places to stay/camp out there let me know.
Enjoy your trip - Bots is my favourite place in Africa!

dyermaker
30th Aug 2006, 23:51
Hi All,

Is dec-feb hiring season in Maun? Just want to confirm this from people who have worked there in the past. Also, if you get hired, do you start training right away or do you return on another specified date? Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thank you very much! :)

C185Driver
31st Aug 2006, 02:27
Hey WW,
I'm heading bots in November
Buy you a beer ay!

Water Wings
31st Aug 2006, 06:35
Sounds good man. Planning to arrvice Dec. 27th.

Catch ya there.

Rude Boy
31st Aug 2006, 11:01
There are a handful of girls flying in Maun, you shouldn't have any problems. As far as safety's concerned you needn't worry, it's quite an easy going place.

Remove-Before-Flight
3rd Sep 2006, 01:38
Well my lady friend you should have no concerns as to how safe maun is... however your only concern should be the safety of your liver!! Lots of alcohol gets consumed.... and do the other pilots out there a favour because there is a serious lack of females at the moment i believe! If anyone has any doubt about maun and botswana in general, in all honesty lots of hours, the flying is awesome and deffinately one of the safest countries in africa!! :ok: :cool:

Marcus E-S
10th Sep 2006, 12:27
Hello all, not to sure how this system works.Im a 23yr old kiwi based in london,750 hr tt comercial pilot and licenced aircraft engineer.I would like to know how i would go about working in Botswana for a summer season and was wondering if any one could please help me out.

VanderVlietm
10th Sep 2006, 17:05
Dumela Marcus,

The best thing to do is come over early December with c.v in and hand and do a tour of the companys. I can tell you now that a few companys are already looking for pilots so if you can come over sooner than later.

Most companys will be expecting you to stay on for a least two years otherwise it would not be in their interest to take you on.

Good Luck :ok:

Stpaul
15th Sep 2006, 16:35
What types of aircraft are we talking? what type of work? Pay etc

EDDNHopper
15th Sep 2006, 23:04
This type of question, while very legitimate of course, is asked about 3 times a month in this forum. Either the search function is poor, or people don´t bother to use it. In any case, dear mods, can we not make this a "sticky": "Working conditions in Botswana?" - and maybe a second one: "Working conditions elsewhere south of the Sahara?"
Those in the know could post latest developments on the issue, where and when to go, what to expect, etc.

Just a thought, no bad intentions.

Solid Rust Twotter
16th Sep 2006, 08:05
Yer's is wise beyond yer years, Mr Hopper.:ok:

Probably save a bit of bandwidth and stress if a couple of the more informative posts could be combined and made a sticky...

4HolerPoler
16th Sep 2006, 13:07
Use a search on "Botswana" or "Maun" and you'd be amazed with what you come up with - stickies are reserved for important announcements rather than as aids to technically challenged wannabees.

4HP

Macao
25th Sep 2006, 13:36
I want to fly in Botswana with a South African PPL.

How to do that? I was told that Mack Air in Maun could help me, but so far I didn't managed to find a home page of that company.

Anyone out there who could give me a hint?

reptile
25th Sep 2006, 15:22
Hire and fly.........a weekend getaway maybe..........what sort of flying would you like to do in Botswana??

Macao
26th Sep 2006, 00:55
First validation on a C172 and then some hour building together with my brother up to 20h within one week. Something like that.

Macao
28th Sep 2006, 11:33
Could anyone name me any contact number/email address/web page of companies in Botswana offering Hire and Fly?

Solid Rust Twotter
28th Sep 2006, 12:56
Don't know of any in Botswana offhand but FAWB and FALA are about 1:20 by 172 from Gabs and they have a number of flight schools where you could arrange for an aircraft and the necessary validations.

Contract Dog
28th Sep 2006, 17:24
Sorry mate, but there are no schools in botswana that I amaware of that do hire and fly. The other problem is that to fly an A2 reg a/c in the delta, you need to have done 50hrs under supervision. best bet would be to go to lanseria or wondeboom in Pretoria/jhb, do the validation there and then take the plane across the border to Bots on a ZS reg. steer clear of the A2 reg, the caa there can be difficult some times.

good luck, beautifull place to fly:ok:

flying paddy
28th Sep 2006, 19:29
hi

check out.

www.flytas.com

Tango24
30th Sep 2006, 09:21
Macao
Contact Mack Air for the flying school in Maun +267 6860675
I'm not sure about their hire & fly policies, but them a call.
Cheers & Good Luck

SHARPPOINT
31st Oct 2006, 08:32
Looking to get from Cape Town to Maun 1st week in the New Year, apart from Air Botswana do any other operators cover this route?

Also staying in Cape Town a couple of days, sugggestions on the local attractions would be appreciated. Beer, where the good looking women are etc. Before any one states the obvious I know theres a bloody great big mountain there thanks.

Could go from Jo'burg but lived there for a while and never been to CT so might as well take it in, but if Joburgs easier, well...

:E

reptile
31st Oct 2006, 11:36
try: www.flysax.com

Kittycat
31st Oct 2006, 13:35
You can also fly with Air Namibia via Windhoek, but it will be much more expensive...! Otherwise you can always try a bus! :ok::}

Saffa
3rd Jan 2007, 14:01
Hi all...

I am planning to do my CPL in South Africa. I plan to (in 18 months time) to go to Wonderboom in Pta, at one of the schools there. They have a tower, and it is relatively (30 ks) from home. All the schools have sort of the same prices, and I have allready sort of made up my mind with wich one to go.

Now.

I have saved enough to do the PPL. This will be early in August 2008. (Long time away!) But to get the rest of the 150 grand to do the CPL is another story. Is it worth making a loan at a bank etc, to do it that way? Is there any other South Africans that went that route? And on the other hand, will I be able to have a life after, without being crippled by debt?

I have no idea what pilots get payed, but it SOUNDS like (from people I have talked to etc) that I can maby get 8-9k a month in the beginning? This is from being a instructor (while I build hours)

Is the future viable for me afterwards? I am now 28, and is hartily sick and tired of sitting behind a keyboard. I am doing graphics for computer games, and has achieved what I set out to do when I was 18. And, my salary has peaked, and I cannot see it going above what I earn now, unless I got up to management, but that is even MORE sitting behind a keyboard.

So in essence, is there any South African pilots that has walked the same route? Do you guys have problems with AA? The loans? The job security afterwards? (terrorists, fuel prices, and government allowing) I am quite serious about this. I am living in the UK now, and would it be preferable to do it here? (it is more expensive!) And is there any chance of sponsorship as well in SA? I will be 30 when I start training! But I cannot see myself doing what I do now, but I can always 'fall back' on my current job. (But I do not want to!)

So I am desperate to hear from fellow South Africans that took the same route as I am planning. The sooner I can cap the gaping holes in the plan, the better.

Thanks in advance, I really apreciate it.

Saffa

Dotun
3rd Jan 2007, 14:31
Hello Saffa,
I was in your shoes a couple of years back. I know how it is sitting in-front of those computers and coding away 9am - 5pm. Why not do the flying part-time there in the UK at weekends ? Dont even think about it, if you are bored of IT, just leave and go and fly, you can always go back if flying is not for you.

Regards
DMan

zoneout
3rd Jan 2007, 16:00
Hi Saffa

My advice is to avoid a loan if at all possible. Dont really know what your (current) job market is like in SA, but if you work part time while you do your comm, then I reckon you should give that a good go before borrowing cash. It will take you longer part time (took me two years) but I dont think its that much of a penalty. If you live cheap, you will easily manage to fly quite a bit, and even pick up the odd ferry flight or freebie. Then when you get your first job, you can go for whatever suits you, not what your loan repayments force you to accept.

Check your PM's

Cheers

Deskjocky
4th Jan 2007, 12:10
I came to a similar crossroads 4 years ago, having worked my entire career in the airline business- some 13 years I just realised that my passion lay in flying the aircraft and not being involved in all the myriad of associated functions that go with this business. As I’m now in the home stretch for my com I’m happy to share my learning’s so far if your interested:

You need to decide if your going to go for your com in one go or do it in a more modular fashion. Here are the pros and cons as I experienced:

Modular:
Pro’s
Go at your pace, suited to your own schedule. Your able to switch schools if you aren’t happy or if you happen to want to do some training elsewhere- like the coast to experience different condiditions. You can “pay as you go” so you don’t need the whole lump sum in one go. Can also elect to fly different aircraft types at different flight schools- this can also save you big cash: EG a C172 at a traditional school will cost you between R700 and R780 solo per hour, now some schools have taken advantage in the CAA’s acceptance of NTCA aircraft like the Jabiru and Samba and acquired the type in numbers, these aircraft typically go for about R530 to R630 per hour. So on average you can expect to save, on average, about R120 an hour. Over the course of your 100 hour building phase you could save as much as R12 000.

Con’s
This route can be more expensive. What you need to remember is that the flying schools in SA may be good at training you- but they are really quite slack on the business side- particularly providing upfront quotes, invoicing etc So if you do go this route- run it as a project keep an eye on all costs. Before you start I suggest you sit down with your chosen training provider and discuss what’s going to happen when and how much do they anticipate it will cost- obviously this also depends on what kind of student you are but make sure you have a clear idea of the process like when you need to have you medical done, what study materials are you going to need for the PPL exams etc- I know this all sounds obvious but I was amazed at how haphazard some schools are.
Also very few incentives exist for the modular student – things like reduced rates on aircraft- particularly when it comes to hour building, some organisations will – on the completion of a instructors rating – give you a 12 month employment contract….provided you did all the training with them.

The whole hog in one go:
Pro’s
You will have your com a lot quicker- doable in a year- provided you get through the exams quickly. Some feel the dedicated focus allows you to get through quicker as you don’t have any gaps between lessons. Some training organisations will give you incentives like the employment contract I mentioned above. Also courses are well structured and you are in no doubt as to what the plan is going to be.

Con”s
You must have the cash in your pocket as it goes very quickly!!

Due to my work commitments, I had to go the modular route and it worked for me- and it took me almost 4 years primarily due to lack of free time. The other thing I totally underestimated was the com exams- its really tough to come home after a long day at work and get your head in the books- the full time students have a definite advantage here. Everyone has their own opinion on their relevance which is immaterial as you have to get them done. My advice would be to do your PPL and night rating, then go straight to the com ground school- most schools do both full and part time courses- if you can spare the time go to the full time classes, I did a combination of both and found the full time classes went into more detail. Whichever one you do make sure you get your head in the books and write as soon as you can after completing the ground school. There is no way around this- get it done as quickly as possible and move on.

From reading you post Im a little disturbed about your comments around how much you can expect to get paid- if you are looking for a pay cheque from the get go then you are missing the boat, there are plenty of guys who post on this forum who have made good money out of flying and others who get screwed by unscrupulous employers. what keeps the latter group in it is passion for the job- if you don’t have that then aviation is going to be a huge disappointment for you. Although the market is turning around in terms of recruitment this is only evident at the more senior levels of the industry- at the bottom there are lots of guys looking for opportunities- this is where you are going to need your passion for the job to carry you through.

So in closing chances are, unless you are very lucky, you probably wont walk into a job with your fresh new com and you are going to have to wheel and deal to make it happen- generally for very meagre reward. So I would suggest you give some thought to how you are going to manage financially over this period as well.

I would also encourage you to have a look at going the JAR route, market is far bigger in the UK and Europe than here, just a thought…..

Anyway good luck and get cracking as soon as possible, you could also consider doing you PPL in the UK in the interim so as to save a little time- I stand to be corrected but if my memory serves me correctly you can have it validated here in SA and carry on form there. Lastly NEVER pay any training organisation lump sums of cash upfront- the reputable ones are happily accept payment after each session or if that doesn’t suit you then arrange to keep a small “float” in your student account- but be very careful and keep it to no more than a few thousand rand.

Saffa
5th Jan 2007, 12:30
Hi Descjocky!

I came to a similar crossroads 4 years ago, having worked my entire career in the airline business- some 13 years I just realised that my passion lay in flying the aircraft and not being involved in all the myriad of associated functions that go with this business.

Thank you very much for sharing all this info with me. It gives me a hell of a lot more confidence to know that there are other guys out there also sticking to their guns and doing what they want to do.

Thanks for the pro and cons. It is a huge help. I think my plan at this moment is to go all the way, and do it in one go. I have enough to do my PPL and this is covered. Now I just need to get the rest of the 150K. But the idea is that I will save and sell, so in a year or so, I think I can manage it. I also have the idea that I would like to do it all in one go. I have had experience of part time study, and like you say, hitting the books at 7 till 10 in the evening after a day of work is a bit daunting. (but not impossible!)

From reading you post Im a little disturbed about your comments around how much you can expect to get paid- if you are looking for a pay cheque from the get go then you are missing the boat, there are plenty of guys who post on this forum who have made good money out of flying and others who get screwed by unscrupulous employers.

This is where I have no idea. I have no pilot friends, and have no idea what 'good' salaries are. I mean, after a year, would 20K a month be out of the question? I know it all depends on where and with whom, and to be totally honest, I would not like to work for peanuts in SA. I know in the beginning it is more feasable, but I would like to make enough so that my (potential) family would be taken care of. But I am sure I can find out on the forum (in the future) who the good employees are.

I would also encourage you to have a look at going the JAR route, market is far bigger in the UK and Europe than here, just a thought…..

I actually thought about that too. But after living in the UK for 6 years, I dunno. I miss SA dearly, but like you said, I can do Europe as well, and working in a place like Spain, well, at least they have beaches there! I am allready looking into it!

Lastly NEVER pay any training organisation lump sums of cash upfront- the reputable ones are happily accept payment after each session or if that doesn’t suit you then arrange to keep a small “float” in your student account- but be very careful and keep it to no more than a few thousand rand.

This is a heck of a good thing you told me. I will definately take this to heart. This is good advice.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences!

Saffa.

Deskjocky
5th Jan 2007, 12:38
no worries at all mate- go for it!

Pedsims
30th Jan 2007, 20:06
Hi everyone.
I’m currently in Pretoria, South Africa Visiting family, but looking to take a road trip to Namibia on a job hunt. I will be flying into Windhoek on Sunday and leaving 2 weeks afterwards. I’m looking into going to Swakopmund also, and am in need of any advice as to where I can arrange or find some cheap lodgings. Any further suggestions about the trip would be great and appreciated.

Voel
2nd Feb 2007, 06:17
Go to www.natron.net It will give you most of the acommodations in Namibia from lodges to hotels and B&B's. That's how I did my planning

4144r
4th Feb 2007, 08:08
Hi Pedsims,
If you want to save your money, try backpakers; There is a lot in Namibia.
I went to one (long time ago) but I can't remenber the name.
Good luck for job hunting (go to Eros there is a lot of good company)
Soft landing

BBN RADAR
4th Feb 2007, 09:59
yeah mate, there are a few backpackers in town - I recommend "The Cardboard box" - it has a good swimming pool and bar. Plus lots of Norwegian nurses stay there throughout the year! ;)

vaninnam
4th Feb 2007, 17:30
ask me nicely and you can stay in my flat
easy as that ,I was also in that position many years ago,and I have helped many pruners thus far.
greetings
vaninnam

Beechdrivr
5th Feb 2007, 07:32
Ahhh, the Cardboard Box, i have many good memories of that place. The bar was always the highlight after a long days job search.. yeah there were many good looking lasses staying out there. All in all, a good place to stay while hunting for that job!!

Hey Fran, hope you are well matey. When you in Pta again, you must come and visit, had Hellmon there the other day and it was a real blast from the past!

Good luck in the job search!

Safe flying BD:ok:

Voel
5th Feb 2007, 13:41
Vaninnam, you don't have Norwegian nurses staying with you. But if the price is right, why not????? Vlieg jy nog vir Air Nam?

Pedsims
8th Feb 2007, 11:01
Hi there.
Was hoping to get some suggestions/tips on how the best way to travel around Botswana for a job hunt.
Also what is the most efficient way to get to Maun from JHB.
Thanks in advance

kotakota
8th Feb 2007, 18:37
Slightly off Bots as a subject , but an earlier enquiry about Kenya Work permits persuades me to throw in my 2c worth.
Just been in Nairobi for a few days and a few nights in the Aero Club. Things are booming at Wilson , especially as the Southern Sudan gears up for big things ( civil wars permitting ) and a lot of operators are desperate for drivers. However , there definitely is a big squeeze on permits at the mo , as usual the timimg is eerie , but thats Africa. If any of you are passing through Kenya , do try Wilson with your CVs ,and buy some beer at 1800 onwards in the Aero Club. Supply and demand takes a little time to work its way through the system , but demand will always have the final say.
KEEP trying guys and girls.

Xshongololo
8th Feb 2007, 20:15
Gabs to Maun.
Cheaply you can take a public bus or thumb it.
Air Bots is very expensive.
Dont rely on hitching a flight...

Kenya.
Work permits are tight as a ducks arse.
Kenyan licensing is an obstacle. It can be done but its expensive either way you chose.
Loki in NW Kenya is a way around some of the mess in NBO but its not the place to just pitch up and look for work. If you are an idiot then drive up.

For low timers I suggest Namibia and Botswana. After a year or 2 try East Africa. It has a bit more weather and some serious terrain.
And when youve finished with Africa go and write a book.
Lastly, take photos

Good luck to all.

bellyfluffer
9th Feb 2007, 12:24
Exactly whats involved with the kenya licencing and visas for a UK citizen with jar f-atpl?
Fortunate to have a contact there as regards a job but cant find anything on searches etc about whats involved with permits/conversions.
Help/advice would be great!

EC-BBL
9th Feb 2007, 14:26
Hi

Im looking for a 206 job in Botswana.How is Botswana?I was planing to go on March,is March a good moment?
I have 900 hours TT including 380 hours Bush Flying in a C-182

Thanks a lot

EC-BBL
10th Feb 2007, 18:07
Hi Mon,

Thank you very much for your information,I apreciate that.
Take care

EC-BBL

dnk
12th Feb 2007, 08:46
most of the companies are busy training new guys - some positions *might* be opening in march - but nobody can tell.. only way to know is to come here, have a few beers and make some friends, then wait and see!

Pedsims
13th Feb 2007, 08:45
Can anyone shed some advice on where to find cheap accomidations in Maun, Botswana.
Thanks in advance

christopher_faulds
5th Apr 2007, 16:32
Hello all,
I am planning on heading over to Africa very shortly, namely botswana. I've heard Maun is a good place to start hunting for jobs.
Would really appreciate any one that's over there at the moment to share some advice on available jobs etc.. just anything that would be useful for a scotsman heading over the equator.
Thanks very much.

Icarus208
5th Apr 2007, 20:07
Hi CF

I did not work in Bots but flew in and out of the Delta quite often. I worked in Namibia for quite some time and here are some tips before you go into the wide world of job hunting.

If you do plan to go to Bots get youreself a C206 rating. Some companies like it if you have that rating on your licence already. That means they dont have to spend too much money on you to get through your licence to get your Bots Validation. The whole of Maun is primarly C206 and C208's. A few C210's and a couple of Airvans, but 99% of the aeroplanes there is C206.

If you plan to go there send you CV off first a couple of weeks in advance and notify those companies that you are planning to go to Bots and then give them dates of when you are going to be there.

Bots is a very hard place to get into but if you are willing to spend some time there you are bound to find a job. The best time to go look for jobs is round about now because the season starts in about 2months and then they start training their pilots now.

Companies you can try is: Mack Air, Sefofane Air Charters, Moremi Air Charters, Safari Air, Delta Air...those companies should be adequate for now. When you do go, interviews are not required, just show up in your khaki shorts and maybe a collared shirt...they hate it if somebody arrive in white pilot shirt and blue pants...Remember Bots is the bush..they are looking for a bush pilot and not a corporate pilot. So if you show up dressed like that they can see if you will be some sort of bush pilot or not. Just go into their offices and ask to speak to the Chief Pilot of each company. If they are not their dont leave your CV with someone, I can guarentee you that CV will go into "Bin number 101" never to be seen again. Trust me I was in Bots when that happened and I did see it a few times. Keep going back and back everyday until somebody will see you. They actually like it if you go back continously..They might not need a pilot today but tomorrow is another day and then the first person that walks through that door they will hire...Bots changes daily and always in need of pilots. You just need to be patient and stay some time in your tent.

Here is some tips to stay for free for weeks on end....There is a camp called: SEDIA lodge...It is a lodge some 2-3kms from the airport (all tar from the airport) Very nice lodge with camping site behind the lodge...When you go there the first time, dont go to reception to look for campsite space...they will then charge. Keep to your left past the reception on the dirt road that takes you around the lodge and walk or drive like you own the place and then find youreself some spot on the campsite...you can stay there for weeks on end and nobody ever checks if you have paid or not...al provided you stay in the tents and not in the lodge...you can even go swim in the pool and they wouldnt even know you stay there or not....I stayed there for 2weeks and did not pay a single cent....LOL

That was Bots, now another place called Namibia, Windhoek...thats another 8hours drive to the west of Bots (2h55m flying in a C210) if you can get that oppurtunity..sometimes there is flights going back to Nam...just keep on asking because 80% of the flights are empty back to Namibia, maybe you can catch a ride for free...or just buy the pilot a beer on the other side and he will be happy or ask him to take you to Joe's Beerhouse in Windhoek...Cool place that.

Namibia is harder to get into. There you need a C210 on your licence to get anywhere. Companies you can try is: Sefofane Air Charters...Go speak to Ray Rothlisberger...very nice guy and very approachable too. There you need to arrange interview. Dress code is slightly different. Khaki Longs and Collared shirt should do...again no pilot shirt and pants wont do. Another company is Scenic Air...they also have an office in Swakopmund. Desert Air and Bay Air is more options....Whatever you do stay far and I mean very FAR away from Wings Over Africa...those are bunch of Sharks swimming on dry land...like you have never seen before...worst mistake of you life if you do ever find a job there.....

Wow lot of typing going on....but if you need more info I can send you a PM and tell you some more on both countries...

Good luck

christopher_faulds
6th Apr 2007, 12:48
Nice one mate, great article just what I was looking for!

Thanks very much Icarus208:ok:

gilliam
6th Apr 2007, 14:22
great post icarus208
What about flight instructing jobs in africa? is there any places you would recommend beside south africa?

Icarus208
6th Apr 2007, 19:09
Hey CF..No problem.. Hope you come right with Bots...great place to fly and remember to take a new liver along.... a lot of drinking going on there..just be carefull not to fall into that kinda routine otherwise it will become very expensive place to live in...

Gilliam..Im a instructor in Namibia and South Africa...only instructed in those two countries... Not really great knowledge about other African Countries though..What I really can see about those two is that there will always be work for instructors in those countries. Try Namiba, they are ALWAYS short of instructors there. SA is whole different ball game. Lots of jobs there too. You just have to keep on emailing the Flying Schools. If they dont reply now...try again next month. SA is a place if they need pilots they will take the first CV that is on top of Pile. If youre CV is there then you have the job. Same with Namibia, but Nam you have to be there because they like sort of informal interviews.

Any other African country is not worth it because there is no money for anybody to start their training. Go look for development countries like SA, Nam and Kenya...lots of flying there too...

Hope this help guys.

Need more help...just shout:ok:

ohnoriceagain
6th Apr 2007, 19:41
thanks a lot icarus
do you know if FAA CFI can instruct in Africa? or i need to convert my license?
where are you working now? (you seem quite expert of round and about Africa)

pyote
6th Apr 2007, 22:31
Hey mate,

The best thing to do is get the old 206 on the licence, some companies will only hire guys with a 206 on the licence. Some don’t really mind. But rather have it than not.

Make sure you have all your original documents with you, i.e. birth cert, licence, all that kind of jazz as they need all that for the work permit.

With the smaller companies its all about how you are going to fit in with the other boys and girls working in the company, don’t suck up to the chief pilots but be friendly to them. When I was hiring guys it was mostly the guys and girls that got on with the rest of us in the pub and could have a laugh with that got hired. One thing you have to remember about Maun is basically you live in each others pockets in and out of work so don’t be a pest!!! hehaha

The best thing to do is ask to go on as many rides as possible, when there are empty legs the CP usually lets a new guy go along for the ride its a great experience, generally because most of the pilots out there are really good at what they do, so its a learning experience and its pretty fun too!!! Remember things change really often so don’t get bummed out or angry if you get bumped off a ride.

If you get chucked out of sedia got to Audi, they give pirates a good deal, and usually there are quite a few unemployed people to hang with and drink with!!!

Have fun while you are there, and remember things change in maun daily so don’t write off a company because they "aren’t hiring" go in and make yourself known to the CP or ops manager. Usually companies not hiring are the best ones to get some "free rides" with.

Enjoy, I know I sure did

christopher_faulds
7th Apr 2007, 03:45
Guys your talking about putting the c-206 onto my cpl. Now is there a type rating or something for this a/c. I thought it was a 5 place Single Engine Piston??

Do you mean have it in your logbook that you have flown this a/c ?? like a check ride of competency??

Again cheers for the posts guys, good to see pilots spreading the joy:ok:

Solid Rust Twotter
7th Apr 2007, 04:57
That's about it. Unlike the UK and US where a class up to a certain weight is allowed on a PPL or CPL, in these parts you need to have each type noted and signed off by an instructor in your logbook, turbines and those above 5700kg will be endorsed on your licence.

It's a bit nanny state but probably the only way to prevent people getting into an aircraft without ever having seen the flight manual or being aware of unusual characteristics.

Best you get a few hours on C206 before heading out to Bots, in other words.

pyote
7th Apr 2007, 05:05
The Botswana DCA require 5 hours on type for a type rating...

Although it is really expensive to buy 5 hours yourself. So if you can get it signed off in less time than that do it!!! your company will do some circut bashing and your flight test can be "made" to equal 5 hours if you know what I mean!

Icarus208
7th Apr 2007, 06:51
Hey Guys..

SRT.. you are on the monyey with that comment. I think the way we do it and do some conversions before we ever go "solo" in our small pisscats is probably a lot safer than some other countries.

pyote..thanks for the input...forgot about the actual paperwork side of things which is probably the most important part of getting the job.

Then onto the FAA instructors licence... SA is very sticky on FAA licence just being converted. If you want to get your SA licence unfortunately you have to write on your commercial exams and instructors exams..just like any other Comm pilot out there. Then do your test after that after done some "patter" with an instructor...Long run, gona cost you a whole lot of cash before getting started...then there is still no job for you guarenteed.

Namibia on the other hand is a lot easier. Just a practical flight test on a C152 on C172 and with an easy Airlaw test...which incidently cost you U$1...what a joke to ask for money anyway. Then on your way to get a job. There is only a few flight schools in Namibia and a lot of students with lots of money there. Pay is pretty crap though.

Good luck;)

ohnoriceagain
10th Apr 2007, 14:07
thanks a lot Icarus
well pay is crap everywhere for an instructor:}
Icarus i tried to pm you but this function is disabled...can you please pm me with more info about jobs in bots namibia and etc.
thanks a lot mate
more than a beer for you when we will meet:ok:

gilliam
11th Apr 2007, 22:11
cheers Icarus208
So you are working as a flight instructor in namibia that must be something,nice weather and nice scenery as I can imagine.

pressed_on
12th Apr 2007, 03:50
Awesome, good to see ppl spreading the love instead of bitching for once!

Can I take the thread up a level asking about getting Multi time in Bots for someone with a few hundred 206 hours under their belt? I imagine there would be some sort of seniorority system like most places. But is it time spent in the company or time spent in the air ie. Total time?

I'm looking at africa or PNG with 1100tot and just shy of 500hours in a 206 with 60 in a BN2. Can you guys steer me in the right direction?

much appreciated

PJ

pressed_on
12th Apr 2007, 04:12
I think people should be asking. "Hey, I'm looking for a sweet place to meet some great people and sink some bevvies for the next couple of years...oh yeah and since I'll probably have to get a job any room for an extra pilot?":}

pyote
13th Apr 2007, 02:27
In Bots, it was definatly a seniority thing. I would advise you to look somewhere other than Bots if you want twin time. Tanzania is a good place to start looking!

terpilot
22nd Apr 2007, 20:19
...which country in Africa would you pick to relocate to in order to get a flying job?

Reason i ask is that my better half will be working at an embassy (don't know which one, but we get to make a list of where we want to go) and we are trying to figure out where to go. I want to be able to fly where ever it is that we do end up. Which country in Africa (or anywhere for that matter) has the most opportunities? I like the idea of doing some bush flying.

By the time we get there i am looking to have around 300 hours with PPL, Comm, Instrument and maybe some multi time. Before i go i'll get some time in C206 or the like also, from what i have read on here.

Mark J B
23rd Apr 2007, 07:19
I don't know much about the rest of Africa but in Southern Africa, with your experience level, Botswana is the only place. There are lots of threads about Botswana/Maun so do a search. The only problem is the Embassy is in Gaborone (South Botswana) and the flying jobs are in Maun on the edge of the Okavango Delta (way up north).

terpilot
26th Apr 2007, 09:27
Haha...that's an idea too. Seems smarter to me.

Maybe i just need to convince my wife to let me buy my own plane:hmm:

Foo-Fighter
26th Apr 2007, 18:08
Uganda... yip...I wont mind flying out of Entebbe and living on the lake.

JetNut
26th Apr 2007, 19:56
Was in Entebbe recently...

Had 2 500ml beers (great) and a full fish dinner, only cost me $9

Hoveronly
29th Apr 2007, 15:58
Aah yes Entebbe, living by the lake, just the lake flies and bilharzia to contend with - bliss!

Foxyflyer
1st May 2007, 15:44
Lovely place Uganda. Great flying, huge thunderstorms. Bugger all ATC to mess you about. Just make sure you take your own generator. :bored:

madherb
1st May 2007, 18:52
Namibia's the place. A big country, ideal for bush flying, the beer is the best in Africa, the wild life is great (the animals are OK too). Weather is sunny mostly.

Pretty safe as well........:ok: Not as cheap as some places, but good quality all round.

Good luck, safe flying, enjoy wherever you end up.

EC-BBL
4th May 2007, 15:15
Hi guys,

Im planning a trip to Botswana and Namibia.I have flown in Tanzania for several months but I would like to get a job flying C-206 in Botswana or C-210 in Namibia.Do you know what i have to do for the licence conversion?How much is it?Do i need instrument rating in Botswana or Namibia if i want to fly 206 or 210?(can image the answer is not).
I apreciate if you can inform me,please.
Thanks guys

pyote
5th May 2007, 04:59
The good thing about Bots is that you dont have to do anything about getting a licence yourself. If a company likes you they will take you on and pay for everything. Licence medical and permits, then generaly bond you to that for a year or so.

No instrument rating needed, as its pretty much all VFR flying!

Great place have fun!

EC-BBL
5th May 2007, 14:04
Thanks a lot,

Thats what i wanted to know before i go there

z-e-d
5th Jun 2007, 08:58
I'm also going to plan botswana, but I've got one question. How much salary do they pay for me? Is that enough for stantart living or anything else like saving money?

thx
z-e-d

Contacttower
5th Jun 2007, 10:35
How important is it to get the Cessna 206/210 in your logbook before going and how many hours do people usually want you to have before letting you fly their C208?

freewheeler
5th Jun 2007, 12:05
Greetings....can people in the know set me on the right track? I have a lapsed CAA PPL (last flew 2000) 150 hrs and always wanted to go to SA, because of the scenery and I heard they have similar standards to JAA (ie high). I fancy revalidating my licence and maybe a complex and maybe a self-fly safari. Unfortunately there appears to be a certain amount of baggage (inevitably given the politics ) attached to the aviation/training scene (as evidenced in this very forum; 43 etc) also I had personal exp. with Federal Air who fell off the radar not long after I received a quote for a residential prof. pilot course. (correct me if you know better, please) Anyway, despite all the bulldust, surely it's a great place to fly?! and, who can I trust for good, friendly and professional flight training?? Any prep. req'd in blighty or can I sort all over there, etc? Thanky'all :ok:

GBFOE
5th Jun 2007, 13:14
Please could someone give me info on the following items:

What sort of salary can new CPL get flying for the charter industry in Botswana C206, C210 etc.

Also, has anyone ever done AG flying in SA crop dusting/fire fighting? Turbo Thrush etc. What does this pay?

Just trying to map out a possible career as a pilot, and not interested in going onto jets, quite like the idea of flying in the bush.

Happydays
5th Jun 2007, 15:45
Between R8 000 and R10 000. (Vans and C210) If you fly contracts in Africa its about R28 000 as F/O and R42 000 as captain after tax. (King Airs)

fluffyfan
5th Jun 2007, 21:39
freewheeler
Hi, is that a SA CAA licence or a UK CAA licence? if its a UK one I would suggest you renew that licence first then when you come over here you can validate your Uk licence for a SA licence for a limited time, I am not sure if this is how things still work but it used to work like that, maybe check out the SA CAA web site I am sure it will help you www.caa.co.za
Next thing is that there are many flying schools over here in most of the cities and towns, shop around, but Johannesburg/Pretoria might be your best bet for what you are suggesting, the airfields where flying schools are established in Johannesburg/Pretoria are Lanseria, Grand Central, Rand Airport and Wonderboom, there are a few others but I have only mentioned the big ones.
You have not flown for 7 years so I would go to one of these flying schools and do a proper course, learn the airspace, most of these schools have a hire and fly facility so maybe do a conversion onto the aircraft you intend hiring, then start looking where you want to go, many destination you could go to, maybe decide that when you are here and have spoken to the flying school...........good luck and hope it works out for you

Lex44
6th Jun 2007, 08:11
Unfortunately some members of our society dont like the 'status quo' at some of the schools. That shouldnt stop you though. I'd personally recommend a flying school with a cosmopolitan setting to experience SA in all perspectives. Maybe a flying club in PE or other larger cities. Dunno bout the self fly safari.
All the best.

Blue Planet
7th Jun 2007, 18:49
Whatever you do stay far and I mean very FAR away from Wings Over Africa...those are bunch of Sharks swimming on dry land...like you have never seen before...worst mistake of you life if you do ever find a job there.....

Hi Icarus
Thanks for the info on Nam and Bots. I am on my way to Namibia with my CPL and 220H.
Can you please give more info on your earlier statement about "Wings over Africa"

Jonocrawshaw
22nd Jun 2007, 05:33
Hey there guys,

Some fabulous content in these treads. I'm a New Zealander who has just got his CPL and MEIR, and is coming over to Bots in November. My questions to you guys are..... is this a good time of year to come? and would the fact that I only have 220hrs be an issue? I will have my 206 type rating before coming so maybe thats a plus??
Cheers guys
Jono
p.s I don't own a pair of khaki shorts would you recommend I invest in a pair haha.

Contacttower
22nd Jun 2007, 09:17
What length of time are operators usually looking to employ people for and what's the shortest period they're are likely to?

dnk
27th Jun 2007, 09:55
the least youll get away with is a one year contract, with most companies wanting a two year... you could leave after 6 months but then you will have to pay whatever is left of the bond... one company makes this particulary silly with something like a P50 000 bond for 2 years on 206 (i stand corrected on this one.. anyone have details?)

ALLSKY
5th Jul 2007, 17:21
Hi guys, is this a good moment to try to find out a job in Bots?

M80
6th Jul 2007, 12:18
Hi,
I know this might sound a bit cheeky, but you don't get anywhere if you never ask...

I'm heading to Maun at the start of August for three weeks then, if nothing comes up in Botswana, a further three weeks doing the rounds in Tanzania; Mwanza, Arusha & Dar. If anyone has a sofa, in exchange for beers and groceries, I'd be most grateful. I'm easy going, keep my kit tidy and I can cook.

I'm also looking for a bit of information regarding kit selection. I've got desert boots and fatigues, but what's regular flying get up for charter ops down in Botswana? I have been trained in expedition field medicine and was also planning to have a grab bag in the plane in case of injuries to pax or myself - do companies provide or cater for this?

Finally, if anyone has any leads, and would like to help me out, I'd also love to hear from you. I've poured over the previous threads and basically planned most of my trip from those, but would just appreciate a little info on the actual daily setup of the charter ops.

Finally, if anyone wants anything bringing over from the UK, I'll try and sort you out (within reasonable baggage allowance! No pianos...:ok:)

Thanks for reading,
M80

Solid Rust Twotter
6th Jul 2007, 12:29
Khaki cotton/linen longs, good socks, white or khaki shirts with space for bars. Light yet comfortable footwear is a must. Don't go too Rambo on the desert boots. Blundstones are good or pick up a pair of the local Jim Greens in SA. Look at boxers rather than briefs as the heat and humidity can cause quite a severe dhobi itch if you wear the wrong kit. The khaki stuff and other clothing is all available in SA if you want to stock up here and save weight/space for a few luxuries from home.

Might find your aircraft space/weight limited as far as the med kit and grab bag goes. The Yanqui turistas in the Delta carry a lot of baggage. Keep it small and it may be a good selling point if you're seeking work but don't be surprised if they're actually looking for pilots. Bring a spare liver if you're heading for Maun.

cavortingcheetah
6th Jul 2007, 13:09
:hmm:
If one might be forgiven for one comment here and one addition.
The boxer short business is very important because, quite simply, if you get once get Dhobie's Itch, you will probably never get rid of it in the heat. Life will be absolutely miserable. Perhaps therefore, consider using a medicated talc or aloe vera powder as a prophylactic.

Condoms are important. You won't want to use one if you have the crotch rot, and neither will she wish you too either. However, a condom packs down flat in your flight bag and it does hold an aweful lot of water if you ever need a water bottle in a hurry.
Read up on what to do for snake bites and scorpion stings, also vampire bats, rabies and tick bite fever.:O

Rat Catcher
6th Jul 2007, 19:57
Hey CC you forgot to mention the "Night Fighters":E:E:E
Rat :O:O:ok:

M80
7th Jul 2007, 13:33
Thanks for the replies guys. The usual suspects with good advice.

Just a quick question - what are flights like between Tanzania and Botswana? Prices to Tanzania from Europe are a lot cheaper than flights direct to Bots.

Finally, what are the Namibian operators like? Is it worth adding a few weeks knocking on doors there if nothing comes up? There seem to be more twin aircraft in the fleets rather than 206s. I'm guessing my best opportunity will be with the 206 over any twins.

Thanks again. Anyone need anything bringing over? It's a two-way street, you get a free courier, and I make a contact - so don't be shy! :ok:

Solid Rust Twotter
9th Jul 2007, 18:41
Might be better to dry it out with medicated talc as Mr Cheetah has mentioned. Keeping that thing moist can lead to severe crotch rot.:bored:

M80
11th Jul 2007, 12:29
In the event of a forced landing with respect to contingency planning, what is the general, or specific if available, plans in use by operators in Botswana and Tanzania? How long would you be on the ground awaiting assistance; who is responsible for the passengers during this time; and how do the operators equip the pilots?

Just sourcing final items for next month. Thanks for the useful answers so far. If anyone knows any websites specific to aviation in these two countries, or bush flying in Africa, I'd appreciate a bit of guidance especially from the experienced guys down there.

Thanks all
M80

redskyventures
15th Jul 2007, 23:29
Hey dude - you can have mine. BTW are the beers exchangable for dry white and is it a comprehensive policy?
send me a PM or mail and I can detail you requirements in Nam.
If you are still in the UK I'll take some vegemite and steinlager!!!

dnk
16th Jul 2007, 12:39
White shirts with space for bars?
Condoms?

Dont worry about the white shirts mate, I wore one when I arrived looking for work and everybody thought I was a muppet. In fact, I am, and everyone still thinks I am, but at least I have a job!
As far as condoms go, there is not much scope (there is some, but not much...) for using them as god or the inventor had in mind, but make for loads of fun when fellas like p'bags puts one over his head and inflates it with his nose. v.funny.
Anyway - if faced with the rare opportunity to get your rocks off you can buy connies at the 24hr BP.

Also, some companies insist on their pirates wearing rugged hiking boots, which is a good idea if you go down in the delta - others are more relaxed - for example, I was told that leather sandals are OK, but flip-flops (or jandals) was "just taking the piss". Bring both and bobs your aunty.

If you do go down you should stay with plane anyway, as ELT will be blaring and you will be spotted and picked up relatively quickly - we hope... theres lions and all sorts of kak out their to eat/stomp/sting/bite/ruin your day (as if it wasnt bad enough already)

Other than that come out and stay at Audi Camp for 10 pula a day...thats One Pound Sterling...tell them youre a pilot and they give discount.
Get a good waterproof tent!

pyote
17th Jul 2007, 04:55
Oh how i miss donning my roman sandals in the morning and tootling off down to the airport, so do a scenic flight full of 18-30year old swedish girls.

Thank goodenss due to w&b reasons the hottest one with the shortest skirt has to sit in the front, tanks in the back! (PS the RPM gague gives great reflection into the passengers crotch area)

pecos bill
17th Jul 2007, 16:59
Hi guys. I'm seriously considering moving to Africa and settle down. I'm currently looking for a Flight School where to get my CPL and hopefully do some hour building. I know It 'll be hard. Is South Africa the best place for it? Or maybe there are better options where to get a first flying job after getting my ratings.
Thanks a lot. Any suggestion will be appreciated

Leftpedal
18th Jul 2007, 14:32
fixed wing or helicopter?

oerlikon
18th Jul 2007, 22:17
Are you wanting to get permanent resident status? You can't work in the country without one, although you can fly ZS registered aircraft on contract.

Siguarda al fine
19th Jul 2007, 05:28
Hey pescos bill do you follow the news? Africa is for the most part and on on the whole a francophone war torn continent beset with thieves and murderers. The allegedly most advanced nation RSA has 27000 unsolved murders a year and 1 rape every 12 seconds STAY AWAY.

congoman
20th Jul 2007, 07:33
Pecos Bill - South Africa still one of the best places to fly. Both for training and for getting a job. Lots of contract opportunities on the Dark Continent after you've gained the right experience. After that, plenty of flying jobs around the world. Middle East, Far East, Asia...the world will be your oyster.
For training, coastal schools probabally nicer - but good schools inland too.
Have a look at some of the websites. www.flighttraining.co.za has some career advice as well. Good luck

dnk
20th Jul 2007, 08:35
are leather sandals = jandals? i never quite got the distinction cos i can like to be a bloody saffer...

KeithO
20th Jul 2007, 20:58
Hi Pecos Bill,

Oerlikon is not quite right. You DON'T need permanent resident status to work in RSA, but you do need a work permit, and they're not easy to come by (I know as I'm a Brit living in Joburg). PR is almost impossible to get these days anyway, and you can't even apply until you've been living there for 5 years (either living on air (?!), or working under a work permit).

Also be careful about the convertability of a non-JAR CPL - under JAR-FCL 3 you can validate a PPL but not a CPL - I've just finished researching that issue about five-mins ago, so I think that info is correct (but I'd love to be wrong, and then I can save myself a load a money!)

I've lived in Joburg since 1998, but am now relocating back to the UK. To be frank the crime IS out of control (I've had two gunfights in my house, which is in a upmarket, security-patrolled area), and infrastructure is starting to trip-up; daily (and all-day long) powercuts are not uncommon in all the major cities.

All that said I've loved living & flying there, it's a beautiful country, and the people (of ALL colours & races) are great, so at least go for a look-see (but be careful!)

(Check out the facts for Kenya - might be another option)

Good luck!

pyote
20th Jul 2007, 23:58
You got it all wrong, Jandles is what saffas call flip flops and aussies call thongs!!!

KeithO
21st Jul 2007, 13:51
I've lived in SA for ten years and never heard the word! Around here flip-flops/thongs are called "slops"

(not sure I agree with the other post about white shirts, but I guess it depends on the operator - most of my jobs have been in whites, but I'm sure the game-capture/count guys would take the piss!)

pyote
25th Jul 2007, 05:28
how goes it in the desert?

I never talk ****e, u zebra rapest!!!

pecos bill
26th Jul 2007, 09:46
Thank you everybody!
It will be fixed wing and I'm planning to go down there and spend some time to see with my own eyes before deciding.
I have found this school specialized in bush flight training (http://www.bushair.co.za/home.html (http://www.bushair.co.za/home.html)); Any feedback about it? Would it be a good start to get a first hour-building job?

jawad
30th Jul 2007, 17:24
hello thanks for spreading the good word for all.i wanna know about the license conversion in botswana .or my CPL/IR(ICAO) CAA Pakistan will do the job.and i also wanna know about the names of some operators who hire ppl in botswanna infact some websites..

thanks
JM

pyote
31st Jul 2007, 02:45
websites...

Do this exist in Maun yet? Dude you have to get your ass to Maun and knock on doors.

Busher
3rd Aug 2007, 08:46
Hi Budies,

It might sound like if I were landing from another planet but I have been away from the flying business for so long that I am a bit lost with what is happening in Africa. Yours comments most welcome. I have been flying for the past seven months in Malaysia as a flying instructor. Wont tell anyone to go overthere. Back in Madagascar where I have been flying for many years as a bush pilot I really need to get away from here. No more jobs. 2,000 TOTAL TIME. Flew BN2, Chieftain, Navajo, etc. What about a C206 rating? Is this a joke or are you all serious? I am now holding an ICAO licence (Madagascar) original licence JAA (CPL ME IR FI) not valid anymore. What are the chances to get a job in Tanzania, Bostwana? Need to fly urgently. I'am broke. Wages? Thanks. Safe flights

angelorange
3rd Aug 2007, 17:47
Living is cheaper in Zambia than Bots!

chandlers dad
6th Aug 2007, 18:07
Guys,

One thing not to forget is that lots of parachute ops use the C-206 and many are begging for drop pilots. Go and fly with one for a while, anywhere in the world and get some time in the airplane. Its a good place to build time and usually good people to work with.

CD

Contacttower
6th Aug 2007, 23:49
any suggestions about where?

chandlers dad
7th Aug 2007, 06:56
The question is, where are you located? :)

If you are in the states, the go to www.uspa.org (US parachute association)

http://www.uspa.org/dz/index.htm

If you are in the UK, then go to www.bpa.org.uk (Brit Parachute association)

http://www.bpa.org.uk/dropzone/dzone.htm

They have lists online for drop zones and would contact one or more of them to see if they need pilots. Drop zones are a good way to build time and have some fun.

Solid Rust Twotter
7th Aug 2007, 10:00
Begging for drop pilots? Not the case in SA, I can assure you....

pyote
7th Aug 2007, 10:08
Get a 206 rating go to Maun, buy the boys a fre beers, don't act like a dick and you are bound to come right!!!
easy as larry!

rodmur
9th Aug 2007, 12:17
[email protected]

dnk
20th Aug 2007, 11:20
I never talk ****e, u zebra rapest!!!You're a rapest (sic)

pyote
20th Aug 2007, 11:23
He was nailing a zebra!!! ttoaly disgusting, and considering the Zebra is the national animal, Im sure he could do some serious jail time!!!

Solid Rust Twotter
20th Aug 2007, 11:27
Not keen on zebras. They kick and it's too far to walk around to the front if you want a kiss.

pyote
20th Aug 2007, 11:31
In that case you can get into the donkeys.
Got a great clipping out of the "ngami times"
Headline- "Serial donkey Rapest caught"... Starts off something like this. "Maun's legion of donkeys can breathe a sigh or relief as a serial donkey rapest has been caught."

Oh yea and somthing about "the un-natural act took place on (date) on the banks of the Thamalakane River..."

Classic Journalism Maun Styles!:D:D:D

flybyshark
21st Aug 2007, 13:48
I have that picture!!! its a cracker, right up there with the tradition of 'clipping' a donkey with your car the night before leaving the Maun.........

pyote
22nd Aug 2007, 21:52
They will bloody get ya!!!

Especially when you least expect it.... i.e. 2am with 20 pints in you. Why is it that black donkeys seem to stand on the road at night.

Maybe its because they are so depressed they think that if you hit them on the road it all ends.... no more maun!!

AWA!!!:mad:

Contacttower
30th Aug 2007, 13:48
I am planning to go to South Africa in November to do a CPL and I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me about immigration rules...when I go it will be with the intention of training, but after I complete the licence I will want to find a job, probably in Botswana, but it seems pointless to try planning too far ahead, my idea was just to finish the licence and then see what's what in Maun.

My question is, how long would I be allowed to stay in South Africa while training, do you need a training visa and are South African immigration going to have a problem with my plans?

Contract Dog
30th Aug 2007, 16:55
Hi guys and gals, there are a lot of threads started on this subject, like how to get that first job, where to stay, what school to go through and so on and so on. There have also been loads of replys to them with good advice given from the crew who are there and who are at the schools in question, but the info seems to move down the line in the threads and gets lost over time, so like the "jobs in africa" thread, why not post all relevent info on here so that the guys get a running commentry of what is going on at the moment in the schools and just after you leave and want to go to the Delta or Nam or instruct to build the HRS up.

Good luck with the training and best of luck with that all important 1st job! :ok:

Dog

Jelly Doughnut
31st Aug 2007, 10:01
You can either get a proper student visa or just enter as a visitor!
Student visa used to be valid for 1 year max, you need to visit the SA embassy in London and provide proof of insurance and funds.
I just went as a visitor- 3 month (somtimes 6 months) stamp in passport on arrival, no visa and no cost. All you need is to leave and re-enter the country once your 3/6 months are up. A cross-country flight into Botswana or Namibia will suffice to achieve this! You will also need proof of onward travel/return ticket to UK every time you re-enter SA.

Good luck and enjoy - SA is a great place to fly.

Foxyflyer
6th Sep 2007, 08:02
Sadly, you will not be able to work in SA unless you have a work permit. Not easy to get because there are zillions of South Africans with your hours looking for work. The schools are churning them out daily. As far as I know, there are no other African countries who will allow you to fly their aicraft on an SA cpl. Some countries will allow validation if you do an air law exam. So much for the bad news. Good news is there are plenty of SA companies operating ZS reg aircraft on contracts all over the world, not just in Africa. With your 1900D rating you stand a reasonable chance of employment with one of these companies as there is a bit of a shortage of pilots at the moment.
But take my advice for what it's worth and don't bother to send cv's. Companies receive loads of them every day. Get yourself over to Lanseria and see people face to face. And be persistent.
Good luck :ok:

Cryten
6th Sep 2007, 08:41
With your 1900D rating you stand a reasonable chance of employment with one of these companies as there is a bit of a shortage of pilots at the moment

There's no shortage of fresh Coms, and one of those scam 1900 ratings won't do you much good. Did they even let you land it? And don't they usually sign you off on a van as well?

your money is better spent travelling and knocking on doors

Captain_djaffar
7th Sep 2007, 15:31
can u please give me more information about maun?
i have heard of it since long and did some researches but yet havent read from a concrete reliable source about the opportunities over there...could you please get me a little more information about maun?
thanks dude...i'll be indebted to you.

Contacttower
7th Sep 2007, 19:51
Is there any chance of getting a job on say a 9 month contract rather than 1 year in Botswana or any other Southern African country?

TooBadSoSad
7th Sep 2007, 20:40
SAFTA gives you a job as a flight instructor for 12 months minimum of you complete their professional pilot program. www.safta.co.za. They then place you with a part 135 operator in Africa if you make the grade.

passionforflying
8th Sep 2007, 15:39
Captain Djaffar,

sorry, not much time to answer to your thread right now, but there are plenty of jobs going at the moment, flying ZS- registered aircraft on contract all around Africa as well as bush flying in Maun/ Botswana.
Either contact operators at Lanseria ( knock on doors and be persistant very good acvice) or hitch hike up to Maun.
If you search for Maun/ Botswana you should find plenty info on this forum. Have posted several myself, so maybe try a search on passionforflying as well.

Sorry, gotta go. Good luck!!
Passionforflying

Captain_djaffar
8th Sep 2007, 16:00
cheers mate...hope we meet in da air one day...one more answer from you would quite settle my mind...even if it is a superficial answer...i'll pm you.cheers mate.