PDA

View Full Version : Emirates Training

Pilotboy76
30th Aug 2007, 16:53
Hello. I was wondering what life is like during training at Emirates. Also, do they pay basic salary from the day you show up for class, or does it begin after you pass the checkride?

Thank you in advance.

bigmountain
30th Aug 2007, 17:36
Life is fairly busy; with settling in to a new enviornment , new culture , new home combined with all the trg that is provided apart from the transition.' Etops, LVO, MNPS, CRM EMG , RVSM etc etc. Don't dismiss the prospect of being trained in singapore buy outsourced Alteon instructors,

Emirates is one of the few airlines that pays full basic pay ; and associated flying pay if you fly during that training period.

BM

Ketek400
31st Aug 2007, 10:37
To be honest, the only things that really keeps you busy is the running around getting all your paperwork in order, etc. The training is pretty relaxed and you have lots of time on your hands.

You will have plenty of time to spend getting to know your class mates and have a beer or 3.

Enjoy and dont stress to much, for this will lead to bad performance.

Hope you have a good class, it makes all the difference...

Pilotboy76
31st Aug 2007, 14:42
Thank you! I am looking forward to getting started.

Hook
31st Aug 2007, 18:01
Very true that there's loads of paperwork to be done but Ketek's post might seem to give the impression that the training is easy. Not necessarily the case.
I think it's as easy as YOU want it to be. Work hard and you'll do well. But if you're slack in your preparation it'll show in the simulator and, later on, during line training. The number of failures, albeit small, is testament to that.
Enjoy it (the training AND the beer...):)

dessertdude
31st Aug 2007, 19:50
Have to agree with Ketek 400. Level and standard of traning are very average so no worries there. Most of the stress comes from the paperwork over here for you and your family. Try to sort it out as quickly as you can. Hire a car so you can go ahead with it,and start getting the house in order before the family gets in.

Ghostflyer
1st Sep 2007, 04:41
Training is a piece of piss if you have the ability and do some work. If you don't do the work, you might make it but if you don't have the ability you almost certainly won't. - That is my experience of every training system that I have ever been involved in and I don't think EK's is any different. The pace of training is pretty relaxed though, don't expect the fire hose treatment.

ShockWave
1st Sep 2007, 10:09
If you have the choice, go for the training done in Dubai. It is better than what Alteon offers and more specific to EK ops. You will also be settled in by the time you have finished.

dusty777
2nd Sep 2007, 12:05
Training? :ugh:
Study hard! Apart from a computer program, self study is the only Training there is.

ShockWave
2nd Sep 2007, 12:45
:confused:

fatbus
3rd Sep 2007, 01:57
TOGA did you have a bad day? Where have you done a course where you did not need to prepare for a lesson?

southflyer
3rd Sep 2007, 01:59

.... "training".... in Dubai is fairly easy....

"Oh, I see....." should be as much as you should be able to mutter in a subtle submissive tone as you bob your sorry head down to look at your valuable "foot stomping" notes, yet overridden by the last instant remembrance of an astronautic quotation from the glorious pocket sized FCTM... no worries, mate, you will be "spot on" every time!!

If all else fails, just yell out "CHECK!!!"

ShockWave
3rd Sep 2007, 03:40
I disagree with TOGAs interpretation of Training entirely.
May be he is lazy and doesn't do any preparation or perhaps just unlucky with who he has been trained by, but in any case he is wrong.
You will be given all of the best facilities and training media to help which is more than most companies will give you. Every Sim session has a comprehensive briefing with white board, power point, and / or audio visual presentations
When you are finished training you will be at a high standard and yes , you will fly the aircraft the way Emirates wants you to! If you have a problem doing that then don't come.
It's their football and you can play, but you must play by their rules.
Fair enough I say, they are paying you after all.

THRCLB
3rd Sep 2007, 11:03
I disagree with TOGAs interpretation of Training entirely.
May be he is lazy and doesn't do any preparation or perhaps just unlucky with who he has been trained by, but in any case he is wrong.
You will be given all of the best facilities and training media to help which is more than most companies will give you. Every Sim session has a comprehensive briefing with white board, power point, and / or audio visual presentations
When you are finished training you will be at a high standard and yes , you will fly the aircraft the way Emirates wants you to! If you have a problem doing that then don't come.
It's their football and you can play, but you must play by their rules.
Fair enough I say, they are paying you after all.

i don't totally agree with TOGA ..but reading what you said i have a question does what you have said apply to the Upgrade training and LOFT scenarios (just from what i seen in my Sim support sessions ) or just unlucky with some instructors

ShockWave
3rd Sep 2007, 11:44
Upgrade training is very different from Transition training.
It has different goals and requirements from both the instructor and student.

The student has probably been flying his aircraft type for many years and should know his stuff. Being checked on it should be no problem. The fact that he is put under pressure is part of the training. When he completes his training he should feel that he can handle any situation under any amount of stress. Even if most of the pressure is self imposed. If he is successful he will have to do it for real soon enough with lives at stake.

nolimitholdem
3rd Sep 2007, 12:43
heheh there is far more than a little bit of truth in what toga and southflyer say...made me chuckle.

I certainly wouldn't consider it "training"..."training" would suggest there's actually some sort of coherent syllabus and consistent instruction, not re-learning the exercise day after day. No amount of pre-prep can prepare you for 14 different Alteon guys pet method of doing things. (Good thing they make twice as much.)

And shockwave is right, don't be so lazy. Who cares if it takes eight different sometimes-contradictory publications and countless hours to weave together even the faintest idea of what is expected of a certain procedure. That's YOUR fault! Once you get to the line you'll find out how it's actually done, anyway.

OH I SEE!

Know it. Love it. This phrase is your friend.

:ok:

If he is successful he will have to do it for real soon enough with lives at stake.

Yeah, I like to use this line with chicks in the bar a lot too.

TangoUniform
3rd Sep 2007, 14:42
"CHECK" But wait, there is always an SOP guide to refer to. Sorry, there is no SOP manual. But wait, there is a FOM to refer to. Sorry, mine is a few years old. But wait, what about the disc given to you each month or so. Sorry, my laptop screen is about all highlighted out in yellow trying to get all the changes. Just find out what techniques your instructor wants, and there's your SOPs.

Tail Rota
4th Sep 2007, 12:56
Hi guys...:E

interesting reading the different points of view......my take on it all is....you all need to look at yourselves as pilots.

Ek is not a flying school its an airline and hires airline pilots. If you are not a airline pilot then go back to GA. :ugh:

EK is not the only Airline in the world requiring a minimum standard....Try Qantas, Cathay, British Airways, Singapore..etc :}

I have been through the EK system and have found it as challeging as anyone. But rest assured I can sleep at night knowing my wife and kids are on board an EK flight. :)

You study you pass....you dont you may get through:D

Best advice I can give is study hard and give it your best. If you need some help then ask for it. I did both and had a great response. All the guys I approached in the training dept were great and easy to talk too and very helpful.

Asking for help is not a sign of weakness its a strenght that makes us better pilots......:cool:

Now back to the good stuff.......who has been fired for drinking!!!!!!:E

TR:ok:

mensaboy
5th Sep 2007, 09:10
I happen to believe that training at EK is very good. Well perhaps 'training' is not the proper word as most of it is self-study.

In addition we are required to perform manoevres once each 6 months in a sim, that we are not allowed to do on the line. (I'm not referring to EFATO's etc, but other things such as visual approaches, NPA's and raw data approaches)

It appears, much to my surprise, that the training department has taken a new approach or at least a new attitude. This surprises me since the recent requirements to enter training seems to be that an applicant has a pulse.

Perhaps this new perception is based on the fact that the 'very few' nightmare trainers have either departed or been moved to another fleet. Then again, I have found throughout my career that when new individuals enter training they approach it with an open mind and a conscientious approach to their tasks.

I saw it first hand years ago, even amongst my friends and colleagues, that over time it is quite common for an individual to forget what its like to be under the gun during a training session. I suppose having seen the same errors repeated time and time again, this could lead to this attitude.

I do have one complaint about training in general though. Why isn't everything spelled out in no uncertain terms how the company wants us to perform each and every task. In other words, I think its long overdue for a comprehensive and well written SOP manual covering all aspects of the job. I have lost count how many times I have been told contradicting techniques by various trainers. I don't blame the individual trainers at all by the way. With respect to the Airbus fleet, I cannot put the blame solely on the "airbus" techniques, literature and inconsistencies either, although I think that is the underlying cause in most cases.

I think the new FCTM is a good start, in that it is at least readable and clear, but it is far from comprehensive.

Hook
5th Sep 2007, 10:22
With respect to the Airbus fleet, I cannot put the blame solely on the "airbus" techniques, literature and inconsistencies either, although I think that is the underlying cause in most cases

Very true. Unfortunately (or not?) the company is heading towards the Manufacturer's guidance, in this case Airbus's, in order to avoid litigation issues following incidents etc. You mentioned the new FCTM - it is indeed a decent document, although I still miss some of the really good stuff which we lost when the old FCTM was removed. Some of the explanations in the latter were simple yet detailed enough to satisfy the cravings of anyone requiring "exact wording".
Having said that, trainers are only allowed to instruct what the books say. If there is scope of going beyond that (especially regarding technique) then it should be mentioned that " a good way of doing this is by........although this is my technique and not strict EK procedure, which is unavailable". Hence a trainee should be allowed to use his own technique as long as it's safe and within the confines of SOPs. The biggest nightmare is with cadets because they have no previous experience to speak of and have only the instructor's technique to cling to.
As to the main subject of the thread, I'm glad to see that most people seem to agree with what I initially said. I'm not scaremongering here but I do believe in good prep before a sim session. The Transition course has been pared down significantly and many items done in the sim are only flown once or twice, with no time to do repeats. Hence the "checking not training" perception that there might be in the ranks. Of course it would be great to have sufficient time to explain things and learn by repetition etc. but the program does not allow this and trainers have no say in the matter - they just get on with it. Hence good preparation beforehand by the trainees will make life easier for everybody and good results follow. As has been mentioned by others in this thread, barring the cadet course, all pilots under training are supposed to be seasoned flyers, not ab-initios.

TangoUniform
7th Sep 2007, 06:21
All okay, as long as one is not evaluated/graded on their instructor's techniques. And, that is the case many times.

woodyspooney
7th Sep 2007, 11:26
Try the training in KAL; 7 years ago I had hell and fun! Hell from the ridiculously thickheaded LCPs and check airmen, but fun watching them struggle later when paired together during their local F/O's strike!!:D