PDA

View Full Version : Common things to fail medical with?

J32/41
30th Aug 2007, 15:07
Just wondering what are the usual things that people fail the class 1 medicals for apart from eyesight?

gingernut
30th Aug 2007, 15:13
Not speaking from personal experience, but from knowledge gleaned on here, undiagnosed symptoms seems to make 'm twitch a bit- chest pain and migraines pop up quite a lot.

plugster
31st Aug 2007, 05:45
inability to remain balanced with eyes closed and standing on one feet is another thing the doctors didn't want to see at least during my medical

Put1992
31st Aug 2007, 12:11
Plugster

How long did you have to stand upon one foot with your eyes closed?

I just did it, manage about 45 secs, then gave up because my leg was tired:}

Blinkz
31st Aug 2007, 13:09
colourvision is another one, some people have never been tested before they have their medicals and so are surprised to find they fail because of it.

Hufty
31st Aug 2007, 14:01
I asked my AME this very question a couple of years ago and he said (for renewals at least) that it was alcohol-related stuff like heart conditions and high blood pressure.

Better put that bottle of Rioja away :ouch:

Sam-MAN
31st Aug 2007, 15:42
Hey

http://www.spectacleworld.co.za/colour-blind.htm Worth a look at. I passed them all :8

Shunter
31st Aug 2007, 17:57
So did I... yet I still failed the colour vision test for the medical. Unfortunately the UK (and JAA) still persist with colour vision testing which is utterly irrelevant to the actual flying of an aircraft. Stupid dot plates like that (administered IN TOTAL BREACH OF THE MANUFACTURERS INSTRUCTIONS), and 40yr-old murky flashing pin-prick disco-lights are all you'll get in JAA-land.

There's a tremendous amount of head-in-rectum attitude to the subject in Europe. The FAA do proper real-world testing and have done for donkeys years, "can you see that light? what colour is it? fine...".

Sam-MAN
31st Aug 2007, 18:37
Oh right :ooh: Does anyone know any decent 'colour blind' tests?

Cheers

Hufty
31st Aug 2007, 19:37
I can't remember what they used at my initial class 1 medical but the most popular one (and the one most opticians seem to have) is the Ishihara test.

It is a book of numbers and blobs etc....if you do a search you'll find images and probably even be able to do it on line.

Could be wrong but it might just be this that they use for the initial too but somebody else will be able to confirm.

Sam-MAN
31st Aug 2007, 19:55
Ah its the one i have done in school and at the opticians then. http://www.toledo-bend.com/colorblind/Ishihara.html

alberto86
2nd Sep 2007, 11:48
hello guys,
back in November 2005 I did an initial 1st Class at the aviation house in Gatwick.
Unfortunately I received a restriction on it cause I failed the damn color vision exam. I went trough Ishihara plates and the Nagel Anomaloscope if I remember well.
Altough, i didn't give up on gaining the full certificate so I went on trying and trying all the official JAA recognised color vision assessments.
I tried the Spectrolux in Switzerland, and failed that to for 3 errors. The key for success was passing the Beyne's lantern test... I found the machinary at the Aeromedical centre in Rome...and passed the test!!
Last year I finally had my medical unrestricted and did the first renewal.
From what I know, and standing to what JAR FCL 3 says, one should never be tested again for color blindness after the initial examination.
Is that true? Is there any possibility I could be set as unfit to fly in the unlikely event of a casual examination?
I'll tell you another thing: during the renweal I did last year, the doc wanted me to look at the Ishihara plates. Of course I failed a couple, and he started asking me of any previous trouble with that. After all, i told him, and showed him, the certificate from the Beyne's lantern test and he had nothing to complain about. Renewal was so obtained. could the Beyne's lantern be enough in the future?
What do you know about this according to any previous experience?
Thank you a lot

Shunter
2nd Sep 2007, 11:56
Alberto, you might want to check the extremely long thread on colour vision. There isn't much that isn't in there. But yes, I believe that once you've passed a colour vision test you won't be tested again as it's considered to be something that does not improve or worsen with age.

The whole JAA concept and application of colour vision testing is a farce anyway. If a doctor was to test patients in breach of procedure like JAA test pilots for colour vision, they'd be struck off! It's flawed, discriminatory, and you might just find something brings a very well researched legal challenge forth in the not too distant future...

alberto86
2nd Sep 2007, 12:26
thank you shunter