PDA

View Full Version : Best helo rating for jobs?

F1303
30th Aug 2007, 13:53
I'm just coming to the end of my time in the RAF and I'm starting my resettlement training. I'll leave in April 08 with a CPL(H) but my licence will open with a 'Merlin' military type rating.
The RAF will very kindly give me a tidy sum of cash when I leave - so what type shall I get myself rated on? I'll be looking for part-time helicopter work, perhaps doing some instructing. Should I stick to the trusty R22, or would I get more exec-type work with the R44? Then again I've got some hours on the Squirrel, should I fork out and re-qualify on that?!
Advice anyone?!:)

The Nr Fairy
30th Aug 2007, 13:58
My 2p ? How much do you weigh ? Anything over about 12 - 13 stone, R22 instructing will be a PIA (AUM and forward CG problems with larger students), which is why I've let the R22 lapse on my license and am converting to the H300. If it's your first piston type expect 5 hours minimum, then 3 hours for subsequent types (as the situation currently stands).
If you've got Squirrel hours, get that on your license and you're probably employable, dependent on qualifications. If you've got more than 15 you can instruct on it pretty much straight away as well when you get there.
R44 also a good bet as it's common as muck.
I assume you've read and digested LASORS as it applies to service pilots. Best of luck.

FayeDeck
30th Aug 2007, 14:17
Mate, do not pay for a rating unless you are specifically required to do so. Most employers wil rate you for the job you will end up on. Typically a 3 year bond follows which I think is fair enough. PM me and we can have a chat, I was where you are about 2 years ago.:ok:

Bravo73
30th Aug 2007, 16:02
VFR CPL(H) opportunities are relatively limited (especially in winter, for all of the obvious reasons.)

You would be better off saving your cash for a civvie IR(H) conversion (with either AS355 or A109 rating) and aiming for the IFR onshore charter market. Much greater demand (and wages) in this sector. (Or, if you don't mind moving to Aberdeen, target the NS operators. An IR and heavy, multi-engine experience will stand you in good stead.)

HTH