PDA

View Full Version : Yyyeeesss!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cumulogranite
30th Aug 2007, 09:15
I've finally done it. I've at last passed my skills test and am waiting for the CAA to releive me of a bit more money for that coveted piece of paper!

This is a journey that began in the early 90's, had a few false starts and began in earnest in 2002. Along the way there have been financial problems, a lot of time spent on the ground wishing, a lot of different types, instructors and even a change of school that all came to a head yesterday when the man says "you've passed"

So there are a few people that I would like to thank publically for helping me acheive an ambition I have held since I was 6 years old.

Dave Jones, John Lee and Judith Geeson, and everyone at CATS Liverpool. These guys took me patiently through the early stages and offered a welcoming and open door at the times I had no money to fly. And last but by no means least Justin Lock and the guys at Sheffield City. They seemed to understand my motivation (or lack of it) totally, and especially Justin, who pushed and kicked me into shape when I needed a push and a kick and left me alone when that was needed as well. Fantastic instructing, couldn't have done it without him and it will be a huge loss to training when like most instructors he joins an airline.

So thanks a lot to everyone who helped me. Question is, what do I do for a life changing challenge next????

A huge thanks to everyone that helped me.
Karl

d192049d
30th Aug 2007, 09:19
Congratulations to you and welcome to the wonderful world of avaition!!

BRL
30th Aug 2007, 11:22
Congratulations indeed, very well done.

I like the way you give thanks to the people who mattered, really nice touch, I hope they get to read this forum and see the nice things you have written.

Helicopters next then eh?!?!??!!?

sternone
30th Aug 2007, 14:42
I learned one thing from a previous thread about the subject "what's next"

-> join the mile-high club...

:):)

Congrats BTW

Merritt
30th Aug 2007, 15:23
Congratulations....
BTW - I passed my test and finished the PPL on the 11th August. The CAA had my application by guaranteed next day on the 14th. They extracted £165 from me on the 20th August...
STILL NO FECKIN LICENSE :mad:
Get it sent in as soon as possible....
Steve

Forgot to say..

Question is, what do I do for a life changing challenge next????

Do your IMC / Night / Multi Eng / CPL (delete as applicable :) )

Warrior2
31st Aug 2007, 09:06
you think thats good,

I passed my skills test on the 9th of august, had my application in the CAAs office on the 13th, they took £242 from me on the 14th and still no Licence!!!!!!! :bored::bored::bored: and the weather is soo nice and i just have to watch :(

O27PMR
31st Aug 2007, 10:50
I got all excited this morning when I checked the post and found an envelope from the CAA...

Turned out to be nothing more than the receipt for my licence:*

Like you say Warrior, we are missing soo much good weather:ugh::ugh::ugh:

Crash one
31st Aug 2007, 12:23
Congratulations, well done Captain Self.

My timescale
Paperwork sent 18-07-07
Receipt for cash 27-07-07
Poo brown wallet received 13-08-07.

Sam-MAN
31st Aug 2007, 13:00
Congrats :ok:

Hopefully i'll be in your shoes in 2 years :}

well done :ok:

MizzFlyer
31st Aug 2007, 13:13
Before we get another "lazy CAA bastards can't be bothered to send me my licence" thread, try checking the at bottom of this page (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=137). It's updated every so often and anybody with sufficient arithmetic to be a pilot should be able to work out roughly when they can expect their licence...:confused:

At the time of writing they seem to be taking about 2 weeks for NPPLs and a few days longer for proper PPLs. add postal strikes onto that if you wish, but don't blame the CAA.
MF

Crash one
31st Aug 2007, 13:33
Not so sure about the "proper" PPL bit. Mine is a NPPL & I went through the same mill as everyone else.
Sorry for the drift, perhaps it needs a new thread to itself.

Gertrude the Wombat
31st Aug 2007, 13:55
i just have to watch
No, you can go flying.

You can fly as much as you like whilst waiting for your licence.

Yes, you need an instructor's authorisation for each flight, as if you were still a student doing solo exercises, and no, you can't take any passengers - but you can fly.

Merritt
31st Aug 2007, 14:33
they seem to be taking about 2 weeks for NPPLs and a few days longer for proper PPLs

and

don't blame the CAA

Sorry - but the CAA themselves say that the license will take 10 days... Who else am I going to blame?

Also - why do they need to take the money a good 10 days before the license is processed? Its unnecessary....

Steve

Warrior2
31st Aug 2007, 14:48
:ugh::ugh:its just getting better and better, i called the CAA today, its been 3 weeks to the day!! and they said " oh yes, we meant to send you a letter, you have an irish medical and it has to be a uk medical, ill send you this form by e-mail (discussed e-mail for 5 mins) and in the end i didnt get the form, so i called again and downloaded it from their website,

i filled it out and this has to be faxed to the Irish Aviation Authority, which beleive me are a hell of a lot worse than the CAA, to whom the only person that can sign this form is after taking a couple of days off!!!!! (wait, theres more.........)

i then call the caa back and she tells me theres going to be a fee of £22, now i have already forked out £242 for my licence plus the 22, its a JAR medical also, i cant see why it needs to change!!!! and all this can take upto 4 weeks im told!!!!!!!!!

and no, i cant fly, to fly in ireland you have to have a student pilots licence which takes about 6 weeks to get and a fee of 60euro,

Its turning into more hassle than its possibly worth:bored::ugh::ugh::*

gcolyer
31st Aug 2007, 16:04
Surely you must have an Irish student license, as you must have been a student in order to apply for the poo brown financial burden.

Warrior2
31st Aug 2007, 16:29
i did my training in florida!!

LH2
1st Sep 2007, 16:54
what do I do for a life changing challenge next?

One you have a few hours, try the Qualification Montagne :8 Other than that, night qualification, IMC, intrument rating, ATPL, build your own aeroplane, teach yourself aerobatics from a garage sale book as my colleague here at work has done... (Ok, maybe not that one :} )

have an irish medical and it has to be a uk medical

I sent them a Spanish medical (only cost me €60) and they never complained.

Cumulogranite
3rd Sep 2007, 12:21
Thanks for the replies folks. I have a minor paperwork issue to wait to be sorted, followed by the time it will take the CAA to issue the licence. So I am looking forward to having to take a check ride before taking my first passenger. Great!!!

Who said this is easy???

By the way, "helicopters"? Nice idea and great fun, if anyone has any ideas how I can persuade the missus to let me spend that sort of money do let me know. And if is anyone if brave enough to suggest the idea to her (I'm not) then all volunteers please step forwards!

Warrior2
4th Sep 2007, 10:03
i called the caa and had a talk with them, they apologised and said they made a mistake, they thought i had a class 1 medical and after i ranted and raved she said she would complete my application today and i may have it before friday :) :) :) not bad only 4 weeks waiting i think!

Warrior2
15th Sep 2007, 17:14
Poo Brown wallett arrived by UPS yesterday, 5 weeks to the day!

Merritt
17th Sep 2007, 09:10
Got mine this morning but in fairness they tried to deliver it last monday whilst I was on holiday. That made it around a 1 month from sending it off to license receipt.

Steve