PDA

View Full Version : RAF Tucano replacements...

harrogate
30th Aug 2007, 07:54
A few questions...

Anyone know which aircraft (if any!) are being looked at to replace the Tucano in RAF service?

When might the replacement take place?

Will the new fleet number more than the current total of Tucanos, or possibly more, in light of the teeny-weeny Hawk 128 order?

With the last question in mind, can we expect the replacement aircraft to be a jet and capable of fulfilling some additional roles that the Tucano is unable to do, thus the reason for the reduced number of Hawks?

Runaway Gun
30th Aug 2007, 08:51
I belive that some of the contenders included the Pilatus PC21 turoprop, and the Marchetti (Airmacchi) S-211 jet...

advocatusDIABOLI
30th Aug 2007, 09:03
Personally, I think we should buy the absolute cheapest we can. That way, we can spend the rest of the money, sending out 'glossies' informing everyone how great our latest purchase is.

Therafter, we can re-employ the British Aircraft Industry to rework or upgrade our new steeds.

So, I guess a 'Super' Tincan, with uprated 'This-un-That', will soon be hoving into view..............

........... Good Grief. :ugh:

Wader2
30th Aug 2007, 10:12
I thought the Pucarra looked very nice. It could do both ME and FJ :} even double as an A10.

Professor Plum
30th Aug 2007, 10:22
I thought the Pucarra looked very nice. It could do both ME and FJ even double as an A10.

Very good! :}:D

Haven't we got a few captured ones from the Falklands lying about too?