PDA

View Full Version : Snetterton Race Circuit

HeliCraig
29th Aug 2007, 22:06
Looking for some advice folks - I'm a low hour'd PPL(H) so apologies if some of these questions are a bit daft! My brother races motorbikes for his sins, and I have long promised to fly into one of his meetings.

There is a meeting at Snetterton on 15/16 Sept at Snetterton which I am thinking of flying to.

Still at the thinking about it stage, haven't spoke to anyone (let alone Snetterton themselves) yet, but have a couple of questions some of you may be able to help with!

1. Have any of you flown into Snetterton before? Any useful info?

2. A potential direct line route from Sywell (starting point) takes me straight through the Lakenheath CMATZ; their ATZ (and also Wyton, but less fussed about that at this stage) - not to mention the south end of D208!

Does anyone know how ameniable Lakenheath are to GA asking to pass through their MATZ (and overhead)? Do they operate weekends?

Anyone with any useful thoughts / comments, all appreciated!

Ta.

Craig.

whirlwind
30th Aug 2007, 03:51
HeliCraig,

I'll be racing there the weekend before you plan to fly in. I'm expecting a mate to fly in then, so will let you know how he gets on. PM me if you want.

Lakenheath don't seem to mind GA going through the MATZ, although they are typically monosyllabic and you might need an interpreter! They always sound as though they have their heads in a bucket too, although more likely they are wearing gas masks in preparation for WW3. Go for it - there's only one way to learn! At least you can pick up the A11 at Thetford, and find Snett OK. If it all sounds too difficult and you decide to route between 208 and the Marham MATZ (always helpful), beware lots of potential activity at Watton, which would be a good place to turn right.

WW

sss
30th Aug 2007, 12:05
I shall be at snet for the bemsee meeting that weekend, well tbh i am at most bemsee meetings each year!

What are you flying in? Can I come and have a nose?

HeliCraig
30th Aug 2007, 12:12
SSS: Subject to weather, machine availability etc, I will be in a Robinson R22; and of course you are more than welcome to come and have a nose. PM me if you want details etc!

WhirlWind: Thanks for the advice - will def PM you that week to see how your mate (and you) got on!

Thanks folks.

HC.

verticalhold
30th Aug 2007, 14:04
Helicraig.

Often landed at Snetterton. Lakenheath are always helpful to GA but speak at Mach5!

Be careful with Snett. the normal landing site behind the cafe isn't suitable for an R22 on most race days as it is not a clear area and you will need an exemption from the GA section of the CAA for taking off and landing in front of a crowd.

Lots of CAA staff are motor sport enthusiasts and WILL notice if you are doing anything wrong. Rare day for one of the feds not to be somewhere like Snett with his kids having a day off, but noticing helis doing naughty things.

VH

Ozzymick
30th Aug 2007, 14:11
Don't forget to speak to Hayley Shaw or Deborah Overton at Snetterton, I think the landing fee is still £50 and you can be sure Jonathon Palmer will track you down to the end of the earth for it. 01953 887303
The approach details should be on the Landing Permission form as well.
Hope this helps
Mike

Twiddle
30th Aug 2007, 14:26
You can only use the area behind the cafe on test days, for a race day it'll be at the main entrance (Johnny wants you to pay after all!)

You can then hover taxi down to the area just before the shiny monument.

HeliCraig
3rd Sep 2007, 08:23
Thanks to everyone for your advice - sadly it looks like I won't be able to go now due to prior engagements which had slipped my mind.

Looks like I won't be able to fly and see him this season, as his last race is at Lyddon which is a bit too far from Sywell given my low hours!

Maybe better luck next year.

Thanks again folks.

Jarvy
3rd Sep 2007, 13:12
If you do decide to come to Lydden give me a shout as I live just a few miles away from the track and have access to a private airfield very close.
Jarvy

paco
3rd Sep 2007, 17:21
Snetterton? Wow, haven't head of that place for years - used to go to school near there and sneak in at the weekends!

phil