PDA

View Full Version : Any advice?

EJBAILY
29th Aug 2007, 21:56
Hi All.

First time on pprune, so please be gentle.

I start my ground studies at Oxford in the next couple of months (Modular). I don’t know anyone in the airline industry and my only experience with commercial pilots is through my flying club (Exeter).

The reason I am writing this thread is to ask for insider info, from people who have done the same. I would obviously love to get straight in with an airline but I’m certainly not going to put all my eggs in one basket. I’m not going to sit around for months chasing shadows, I want to fly and I’m not bothered in what capacity. I think an instructor rating would be a good idea to start getting hours in my book and experience (assuming I get to that level), or throwing jumpers (tips please).

Please comment on any experiences throughout your training you think I and others like me would benefit. Any hints or tips, however small, that if you could do again you would have done differently.

I can’t wait to get stuck in as I’m sure you’re all aware so any help will be much appreciated.

Many Thanks.

CAT3C AUTOLAND
30th Aug 2007, 10:18
Looking back on my training and the quest to become a professional pilot, it is all like a bit of a journey really.

Some may disagree, but I see it as just another part of your life and something you work towards gradually to achieve your goal. Throughout your training you will gain experience, meet different people and pop out the end with that little blue licence, and hopefully enjoy the whole experience.

Everyone tackles the quest to get your first job differently, so I don't think there is any right or wrong answer. From my own experience, once you have finished, I think it is very important to keep in the loop, in other words keep current and keep your ear to the ground. There are jobs out there, and someone has the get them, so why shouldnt it be you. Work hard and you will get there in the end.

Good luck with it and all the best.

Just another student
30th Aug 2007, 10:29
Just to echo what CAT3C says, there is no right or wrong way, network as much as possible and keep going :)

Its a great time to get a job, the industry is booming its just a case of getting that first break.

Good luck

EJBAILY
30th Aug 2007, 11:26
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice. :ok:

Just another student
30th Aug 2007, 13:39
Just to add, you certainly have the right idea about keeping your options open ( eggs in one basket etc) be focussed about the end destination and keep it in site, but taking the M1 might not work, so always be looking for other ways to get there.
Working in operations, as cabin crew, dispatch etc are good ways to make contacts and you will find others doing the same. I did and learned alot from the experiences :)