PDA

View Full Version : How Many Concurrent Type Ratings?

Arfur Feck-Sake
29th Aug 2007, 20:41
I'm sure i read somewhere that there is a limit on the number of type ratings that can be held/used concurrently. Can anyone confirm whether or not this true?

I'm thinking of smaller turboprop types such as BE200/SD3-60/J32. Is there anyone out there flying several types?

BizJetJock
29th Aug 2007, 21:33
Depends on the type of flying you're doing. JAR-FCL puts no limits on the number of types you can have current, but JAR-OPS puts a limit of two heavy or three light types for commercial ops. At one stage I was current on five types, but only two of those were for AOC operators. In FAA land the rules are the same for part 91, but I don't know about parts 135/121.

BelArgUSA
30th Aug 2007, 00:45
In the countries using FAA rules (or with rules inspired by FAA), you could hold many type ratings current. However, read FAR 61.55 and FAR 61.58, which applies to non-airline flying.
xxx
When I was with PanAm, we could be qualified/current on two types and I was qualified on 707 and 727. I had to do an annual proficiency check on each type flown, and a 6-months instrument proficiency check on one of the types I flew as PIC. In practice, that meant a simulator check on one of the types, and the next simulator check was in the other type. American Airlines and TWA did same in these days. As F/O, you could do same with 12/24 months recurrent simulator checks.
xxx
Clay Lacy (retired UAL captain) holds some 50 type ratings, obviously not all of them are current for part 91 flying. He reportedly has logged some 45,000 hours. I know he is current on all Lear types, all Gulfstreams II through V, on the 727, 737 and DC3... His buddy John Lear (son of Bill Lear of Learjet fame) also holds some 50 type ratings and licences valid for fixed wing, helicopter, gyroplanes, blimp, hot air balloon, instructor, flight engineer and navigator (what did I forget...)
xxx
Funny thing about Clay Lacy... One day he got a HS-125 rating... The FAA inspector, was busy filling the "paperwork" for the new rating asked him "how many hours on the this HS-125 type...?" - He answered... "just about 60 minutes, the flight I did with you today...!" -
xxx
Here in Argentina, I am current as 747-200 PIC and check captain, but also qualified as F/E on type... I also occasionally fly a Lear 31A with the CEO and other upper level airline managers...
xxx
Since I am now senile and near retirement, I am happy to remember that my old 747s have 4 engines and that the flight deck is upstairs... not easy to get up there on my wheelchair pushed by these sexy flight attendants. Where do I stow my white cane is none of your business... and my hearing aid is wired to essential power bus...
xxx
:)
Happy contrails

camilo1
29th Oct 2008, 19:06
John Lear, in his own words:

"
One other thing, some how I managed to get the following type ratings: 707/720/727, Convair 240/340/440, DC-3, DC-8, B-26, Gulfstream 1, Lockheed Constellation, Lear Jet series, HS-125, Lockheed L-1011, Lockheed L-18, Lockheed P-38, Martin 202/404, B-17, B-25, Grumman TBM and Ford Trimotor. I also have single and mufti engine sea, rotorcraft helicopter and gyroplane, and lighter than air free balloon. I never got all categories having missed the Airship. And in case you are interested many, many airmen have lots more type ratings. What I did get…that no other airman got was most FAA certificates: these are the ATP, Flight Instructor with airplane single and mufti engine, instrument, rotorcraft helicopter and gyroplane and glider. Flight Navigator, Flight Engineer, Senior Parachute Rigger, Control Tower Operator, A&P, Ground Instructor, Advanced and Instrument and Aircraft Dispatcher. I have 19,488 hours of total time of which 15,325 hours is in 1,2,3 or 4 engine jet. I took a total of 181 FAA (or designated check airman) check rides and failed 2. I have flown 119 types of airplanes, helicopters, gyroplanes and gliders. "