PDA

View Full Version : CPL/IR in winter?

Stratus Fractus
29th Aug 2007, 18:11
Hi All,

I am hoping to do my IR and CPL at Bristol Flying Centre, and would like to have them and the MCC course completed by Christmas 2007. I think the earliest I could begin would be the start of October. I would be there full time.

Can anybody advise me as to the likelihood of completing these courses in time - considering the region and time of year (assuming average abilities...I hope..). I am not familiar with the climate in SW England, I also heard Bristol International is quite high so suffers from low cloud. I was surprised / disappointed when I couldn't train for my IMC rating in actual IMC conditions, I imagine the IR is the same?

Many Thanks

Stratus Fractus

captain_rossco
29th Aug 2007, 18:36
I'm a Bristol Boy and you're not wrong about the weather. But surely BFC is worth it for the Naseeb factor alone!!!!!!

Regards

CR

Hufty
29th Aug 2007, 18:37
I was in pretty much exactly the same position 4 years ago at the same time of year. Incidentally, I liked BFC and would recommend them very highly.

I took almost 8 weeks to get the multi and IR finished. Multi training took 7 days, the "simulator" took 30 days and the IR flying + multi test + IR test took a further 23 days.....all including weekends. I was flying most days and was very fortunate with wx and servicability. Having days off though was invaluable as it allowed me to go back to the B&B and go over what I'd learned from the day and do some "armchair" flying.

I planned to do the CPL there too but it was getting into December when I finished and the weather had been poor, so 6 days later I was in Florida. The CPL took 14 days from first flight to test but again I got lucky with wx and servicability. In my experience, BFC will pull out all the stops to get you through but I think the local weather will slow your CPL.

Incidentally, I wouldn't worry about looking for actual IMC. You will test with the screens up and it is very different operating with them than not so you should use them all the time to get used to them.

Good luck and I wouldn't get too hung up on timescales. It will take as long as it takes and better to take your time and absorb the material than rush through.

F3
29th Aug 2007, 20:52
I attended BFC some years ago now for some IR training and found them a very efficient and friendly FTO. Nasib (and his baseball cap) is legendary - a superb instructor.
I had to 'phone them three months ago for some advice with regard to renewing my ratings and was put through to Roy Hitchon, Head of Training, so a busy chap but he was very helpful and was kind enough to make inquiries on my behalf.
Decent people.

Good luck with the course :)

MIKECR
29th Aug 2007, 21:38
Stratus,

Assuming the weather plays ball, the aircraft dont go tech, instructors are available 7 days a week, examiners are available etc etc etc..........then your still looking at roughly 5 - 6 weeks for MEIR, 3 - 4- weeks for CPL and 2 - 3 weeks for MCC. I would say your timescale is pretty tight, not impossible, but pretty tight to do things comfortably(realistically). I did mine last year/beginning of this year, all full time, and it took me nearly 5 months. I had 'down time' for all of the previous reasons If I were in your shoes then I would build in an extra week or two, here and there, for the inevitable.

Stratus Fractus
29th Aug 2007, 22:12
Hi All,

Thanks, that is just the sort of realistic info I need for my planning.

I am aware of BFCs excellent reputation and visited them on my way to Gatwick for the exams after BGS brush up at Cheddar. I was very impresssed by their line of tidy serviceable aircraft sitting outside an excellent office/hangar complex, and claims of 1-2 instructor-pupil ratios.

Looks like I just need to factor in some more time and money before heading down there.

By the way, sure this would be a different thread altogether but if anyone has some advice as to best accomodation options down there that would also be very useful, was thinking along the lines of renting a small holiday corrage / flat for the few months.

Cheers, SF.

F3
29th Aug 2007, 23:16
For accommodation give Butcombe Farm a call.

They have a selection of well maintained chalets and cottages and these shouldn't cost the earth during autumn/winter.

They are only 5-10 minutes away from the airport.

Tel 01761 462380

radicalrabit
30th Aug 2007, 16:07
Sometimes I log in here and find I am reading something from 4 years ago but...
I want to do CPL, Is there a course that does this or is ppl compulsory prior to the cpl? I dont want to fly commercially but want the best training I can afford, to be able to fly the plane I really want to buy and being in an unusual situation of someone wanting to fund my training for me, I really want to do it right and first time. Having read threads on here It seems Bristol is the best place to head for to get training but with an open mind I would appreciate other comments from experienced Pilots and current students. Did that make sence? :confused:

No Country Members
30th Aug 2007, 16:49
If I can try and paraphrase what you are saying, you want to learn to fly, but are not satisfied with a ppl level of training? I think that in this country the standard is a good one, an opinion of course.

Why not think about an Instrument Rating in the future? This will be some of the hardest flying you can find, and will make you an accurate pilot. Plus you'll have to do some of the theory exams the commercial candidates sit for their ATPL (Hooray!).

And yes, to gain a CPL you need to build up a mandatory level of experience prior to start, and do a qualifying cross country solo of, I think, 300NM - how can you do that without a ppl?

Stratus Fractus
30th Aug 2007, 17:08
Hi F3,
Thanks for the tip, sounds perfect, but on their website their cheapest accom at that time of year is way more than I was expecting. Certainly I will see if they can do a deal on a long stay.
If anybody has any other ideas please chip them in.

My plan has now changed: Go down and do the IR, in whatever time it takes. If I have time / money to go straight onto CPL then great, if not, take a month off, make some money and head back in the New Year. Hopefully any braincells I wake up for the IR will not be killed off in the inevitable Hogmanay shambles.

Thanks

SF

Wodka
31st Aug 2007, 10:34
Guys, a quick question to those of you who have done CPL/IR/MCC @ Bristol - is it feasible to work (not study, normal paid work) around the course (in evenings/weekends, etc) or is it best to go down with no commitments at all?

Just trying to see how I can shave money off the living costs by maybe doing some bar work in Bristol...something that would take a bit of the sting out!

potkettleblack
31st Aug 2007, 11:55
I didn't go to Bristol but I can tell you that at my school a few people tried to work or had other more important things to manage such as wee kiddies and found it tough.

The schools won't tell you this at the outset when they are trying to get your money and giving you the big PR spin but you will be treated as a 2nd class citizen. The problems arise when you are available but the a/c are tech or the weather turns foul or your instructor is late, sick etc. You rightfully say hey that is not fair but it falls on deaf ears and the school will say that little jonny over there is in at 0800 every day sitting around studying and available to fly possibly twice a day so why should we not let him fly when you can't commit to be here everyday. Then there will be the IR/ME revalidations that the school makes good money off that seem to get slotted in at a moments notice to the flying programme shoving you off the planning board. Inevitably these people will be flying on from far afield and only have accommodation booked for a short period so they will go to the top of the pile. Unfortunately once the schools have you there is little you can do except to register your discontent and try and minimise any damage without getting completely offside with them.

Hufty
31st Aug 2007, 13:09
I would just focus on your IR if I were you. I spent each evening going over what I'd learnt from the day and writing up my notes. I also spent a lot of time "armchair" flying and reflecting on what had and hadn't gone well from the day. That made all the difference so I would advise against trying to do any additional work. Even if you do some bar work, it will only make a tiny dent in your costs so I wouldn't bother.

Parson
31st Aug 2007, 14:15
Wodka,

I did my MEIR/CPL at Bristol and the best advice I would give is to treat it as a full-time course with little time for anything else. You could fit in the odd bar shift, but as said above, is the money you'd make from that really worth it?

On the other hand, BFC are a friendly and accommodating bunch and if you approached them wanting to do the IR on a part-time basis I'm sure they wouldn't turn you away. You'd just have to be prepared for it to take longer, probably a few extra hours and the odd flight with a different instructor.

P

Wodka
31st Aug 2007, 14:53
Cheers for the replies guys :ok:

Dreamshiner
31st Aug 2007, 15:02
I started in October and finished in mid December, had my IR cancelled 4/5 times due to weather then the backlog meant a new date was 7/10 days minimum.

I also did my CPL in a week in-between my IR as I was converting, so if it wasn't for my FAA licences it would have definetly taken much longer.

I didn't do it with Bristol, however where I did it had had no effect on the weather. I just think based on the year we are having so far with the dodgy conditions it may be prudent to consider the MCC as potentially happening after Crimbo and adding an extra couple of grand to your contingency fund.

magicmick
31st Aug 2007, 19:56
Stratus Fractus

I hate to point out the obvious or be negative but have you contacted Bristol to ensure that they have spaces on their CPL and IR courses before the end of the year? I recently tried to organise CPL and IR courses with a flying school of good reputation only to be told that all CPL courses were fully booked up to Nov 12th and all IR courses are fully booked up until Dec 31st. This seems to be the case with a lot of schools, they seem to be booked up dor 2 or 3 months in advance.

All the best with the training and whatever you decide to do on completion.

Stratus Fractus
31st Aug 2007, 20:50
Hey Magicmick,
Yeah thats a good point. When I visited them last year I got the impression there would be no problem but that may have changed or I might well have only heard what I wanted to hear.
Obviously if they are too busy I will need to rethink. Unfortunately the nature of my job makes it difficult to be any more organised than I am, this is just the first time everything has lined up to enable me to get started. I have sent them an email so heres hoping..

SF