PDA

View Full Version : Night Rating Required - and its not Dark!

Simon150
29th Aug 2007, 14:26
Subject tells it all really, I need a night rating to start CPL training, and my local club doesn't start doing them 'till mid October.

Any ideas - I am based in the Midlands - UK?

Canada Goose
29th Aug 2007, 14:45
Coventry do 'em all year round - so I once heard !! Believe they were doing it in mid-June a couple of years ago !!
Failing that, you could always try the Shropshire Aero Club at Sleap (1/2/ hour from Wolvs - probably nearer ??). Nice little club and airfield and members don't pay for ldg fees !
CG.

Simon150
29th Aug 2007, 14:52
I am actually up near East Mids so I will give Coventry a ring......cheers.

Any other ideas?

Hufty
29th Aug 2007, 15:36
Do you really need a night qualification to begin CPL training? When I did it you didn't - it just meant that you had to do additional night hours as part of your CPL course, which would obvioulsy be more expensive as you're paying a higher rate. Might have changed now though.

I am sure you could ask one of the club instructors to stay up late for 2 nights do it for you if you gave him or her a bit of extra cash. £100 for a couple of late nights might be all it takes......

XL319
29th Aug 2007, 21:34
It annoy's me to hear this. Flying schools/clubs could include the night qualification in the PPL as part of the 45 hours. Instead they see it as a money making opportunity in getting a further 600/700 quid of your hard earned cash.

portsharbourflyer
29th Aug 2007, 22:07
XL,

What a totally unfounded statement, only in the instance that someone completes the ppl course in 40 hours can the remaining 5 hours can be used to do the night rating.

Most students doing a ppl part time will normally take on average 55 hours if not more to finish the ppl syllabus, this isn't always down to student ability, weather delays can easily see an able student take more than 45 hours to complete a ppl. Hence for most people the night rating will always be an extra five hours post ppl training.

portsharbourflyer
29th Aug 2007, 22:11
5 hours of Night flying is required for CPL issue, it can therefore can be done after the CPL training.

Adios
30th Aug 2007, 06:48
Nobody should be slagging the PPL FTO's here. The CPL pre-requisites are well known and publicized and in addition to the PPL and night rating, include hour building to 150, which usually offers plenty of opportunity to get it done except in cases such as this where he's done that portion in the summer. In addition to the night hours being required for CPL issue, they are required before one can undertake a CPL course. I think the same logic applies for CPL courses, as does for PPL courses; that there is no time during a CPL for getting a night rating, especially since it requires five night full stops and some solo time, of which there is none in the typical CPL course. Why add five more hours in the higher priced complex singles when it could be done during hour building in less expensive models?