PDA

View Full Version : HKJK Taxiway Skidmarks

Foxcotte
29th Aug 2007, 11:59
As someone who regularly flies into HKJK, I'm astounded to see the myriad of strange and mysterious skid marks that regularly appear on the runway there. Recently there was the Air Zimbabwe burst tyre that has left skid marks several hundred metres long .... but the one I want help on is the taxiway Foxtrot.

Someone - in a double mainwheel, double nosewheel configuration has come off the runway about 1/3 of the way down, bounced both mains into the grass at the side of the runway - bounced at 45degree angle across the taxiway and continued to 'bounce' again onto the grass beyond the taxiway. After that I have lost sight of it's marks. They're pretty narrow wheel tracks so all I can think of is something like an ATR perhaps? Its about a couple of weeks ago but its been bugging me as there's been no reports in the local network or media....

Anyone out there honest enough to own up - or anyone else have a theory. Wonder if that got reported back to management.? Hmmmm:confused:

jojo1977
30th Aug 2007, 09:06
I think this is the ATR that went off the runway/taxiway on 8th or 9th of August, see my previous post:

ATR 72 Precision Air Nairobi HKJK
Hi,

I saw a picture in the Daily Nation today of a Precision Air ATR72, which landed without its nosewheel extended. Or at least that's how it looked like. According to the paper it happened yesterday. I can't find the picture on the website of the newspaper, unfortunately.

Anyone any more info?

Foxcotte
31st Aug 2007, 18:13
Thanks for the quick reply. The precisionair ATR was the first thing that occurred to me but.... there's a big but to the picture that appeared in the press. Very simply, the picture was retracted the day after it appeared as being an error. It only appeared in one newspaper and I certainly didn't hear any rumours on the local network of a plane 'down' at JK that day so I do sort of believe it was an over-zealous reporter getting wind of a dodgy rumour and printing a file photo of the previous precisionair ding at JK (I believe either early 2007 or even 2006).

Which brings me back to the original question:confused::confused: - whose skidmarks are they - and having seen how deep the 'bounces' are embedded in both grass and tarmac, it HAS to have been a reportable offence - at the very least the aircraft involved should have some 'damage' history now!!! :=

flyhardmo
3rd Sep 2007, 13:26
Precision Air ATR 72 ran off the side of the runway in a landing incident in late July i think. The Kenyan news papers ran a ridiculous 'Pax cheat death' story about 3 weeks later.
Apparently on landing one engine went into reverse but the other one didn't and they lost control and broke the nose wheel.

bush man
10th Mar 2011, 12:41
if the skid marks at wilson are anything to go by, then i imagine some suffering and linking took place ;)