PDA

View Full Version : RAF

Stryda
29th Aug 2007, 10:56
hey...i'm going into the RAF in a couple of months as an aircraft engineer... but i'd like to maybe study a little bit more on aircraft engineering before i go in. Does anybody have any links to free websites or pdf files etc that i could read up on that could help me out with most of the basics of aircraft engineering. many thanks!

Chad Norman
30th Aug 2007, 22:32
Stryda,
Firstly, good luck with the RAF career. I assume you have done your research and know what the role of the AMM is? Have you managed to speak to anyone who is actually doing the job now?

As for free material to help with your studies, not sure really but you can always spend some time on google searches and see what comes up! or try your local library. Some librarys have online search facilities, so you can even look without leaving the house.

Again, good luck and when you get to your first squadron ask the lads if you can play 'spoons' at your first beer call. :ok:You'll have a cracking time.

Chad

exceptionalsleeper
2nd Sep 2007, 11:39
There will be no need to study anything as the RAF will teach you all you need to know. As an AMM (aircraft maintenance mechanic) you will in essence be filling in the duties of an old style flight line mechanic and working along side technicians. I have been assured that you can only sign and partake in employment up to the old style mechanic (before they got their fitters course) which is simple and meanial tasks (which requires 100% supervision?).

NutLoose
2nd Sep 2007, 12:31
Not true, I was a mechanic before I went on my Tech course, I was involved in all the engineering both on fast jets, well fastish (Jaguars), helicopters and also VC10's........

I did exactly the same work and only did a short period of just flight line work on it's own (couple of months) in the RAF, I even spent 6 months Deep Strip and Overhaul on the Adour (the low point in my career), I do not believe these days can afford not to diversify their engineering skills due to the lack of manpower...........

Enjoy it mate, I did, I spent 15+ years in the RAF and it gave me the grounding and skills to take my licences when I left the RAF... I would work towards them when you are in as well, mind you I was told that as well and didn't.......... ahh the fun of youth......

If I can think of anything online to help you, I will post it, I am a torn between giving you civilian links as they do not totally follow the Military format.

Blacksheep
3rd Sep 2007, 01:09
I'd suggest you get hold of this book (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Flight-Without-Formulae-C-Kermode/dp/0582026989)and study what makes an aeroplane fly and what all the bits do. That'll keep you busy for a couple of months. Although its not free and involves spending some of your own money, you'll have a book that will always be handy. I still dip into my own second edition of Kermode for refreshers, even today.

You'll also need to brush up on that vitally important skill for an aircraft engineer in the RAF - the ability to drink eight pints of lager and get back to the block without falling over. :ok:

You have to be mad to spend your life messing about with aeroplanes, but I've found it worthwhile and I don't regret anything. (Except perhaps, that time in the Bangkok whorehouse, but that's another story...)

CliqClaq
3rd Sep 2007, 08:22
Hi, I did 9 years in the RAF starting at 1 S of TT. 219 entry.... The RAF taught me lots. I really enjoyed my time but was glad to get out in the end. Being an aircraft engineer has really helped my career, I am now a Training Captain on a modern EFIS jet. :O Have fun and look to the future.

sumps
3rd Sep 2007, 22:12
You should have a sound understanding of your basic Engineering/Physics theories - you will stream (Mechanical or Avionic) therefore have an idea of which way you want to go - whilst in the AF look for every training opportunity going, either internally or externally and don’t be scared of dipping into your own pocket to get better qualified because one thing is assured If you go in you have to come out...so be prepared and there are a lot of people trying to do that!!! See HERE (http://www.e-goat.co.uk/forums/index.php) - Good luck

lovezzin
8th Sep 2007, 02:11
A training captain? how did you manage that? sounds interesting. I assume you were in the RAF from age 18? spent 9 years making you 27. then assuming you did your flight training after leaving the RAF, you managed to cram your flight training and become a training captain within the space of 5 years??? you're very lucky (or extremely talented :P) as if you read the wannabe forum, noone can get any work!