PDA

View Full Version : Great Barrier Airlines

drugsarebadmkay
29th Aug 2007, 01:56
Hi all. New to the pprunne thing. Was wondering about the above crowd. Are they a good stepping stone to Air Nelson and Eagle or should I look at the instructing route instead.

Bongo Bus Driver
29th Aug 2007, 04:24
Yes ex GBA pilots are well represented in the turbo prop ranks.

Split Flap
29th Aug 2007, 04:49
Get in there dude, either GBA or Mt Air is a great stepping stone to better things, dont let any instructor tell you otherwise. You will get some great mates working at either of those places that will be your mates for life. You may also do a little bit of drinking and shagging while there also but I wouldn't know, none of that sort of stuff went on while I worked in GA...:cool:

Don Mask
29th Aug 2007, 09:31
I'd have to say that the scales would tip in favour of Mtn Air when it came to pulling cat. The GBA boys tended to include the odd Okiwi lass in their tally at times. Much more quality back on the mainland. Great flying either side of the barbed wire and mines.

Don Mask - always 100%

flaps 1
29th Aug 2007, 14:58
If your lucky enough to get a gig with either crowd , take it an be thankful . Plenty of young drivers trying to get in an not many jobs going generally for beginners in ol NZ .:ok:

GBA got tri landers now , wat a monstrosity , 3 engines ,20 pax or so , goodness gracious me , used to live in the flight path of those things , bout 7 30 every day , you could hear it comimg ,and coming ,and coming on its way to GB , oh an the days wen 2 or with an islander in company would pass over , racing home , wat a freakin racket ..... plenty of times I was on the edge of calling ops etc , louder than a @#$% jet , cause the things only at around 1200 feet or so , an going flat out at wat seemed 100 or so , ... :hmm:

anyhow off the subject ......

Go for it

Swamp Donkey
30th Aug 2007, 07:59
Alas - in the days of old when the Mtn Air / GBA boys would assemble after hours and become the most fearsome strike force ever seen.......funnily enough it was during these "glory days" that the somewhat derogatory term "swamp donkey" came about.....and what meagre earners were gained from plying the gulf were handed over by eager young men in various establishments in downtown AA!

pressed_on
30th Aug 2007, 08:14
It's funny how taking it up the chuff can be fun sometimes, but it's all the bad times that somehow make the best memories. lol

If you want to lose your hearing in a flying shoebox travelling to and from infected islands, i hear that an operator around Horn island, north of Cairns was offering $45k for a Bongo pilot the other day. I'm sure they aren't the only ones too. Am I right saying that's more than an Eagle FO these days?

tooraa

kev2002
3rd Sep 2007, 23:40
Heard straight from the horses mouth that GBA pilots are very well looked upon by Air NSN and EAGLE so it's a good place to go. Pay isn't that great bu the boss will help you out when it comes your turn to move on.

ZKSUJ
4th Sep 2007, 21:28
Any of these other smaller chater/scheduled companies well looked on by NSN or Eagle?

Sun Air or anything like that for example?

muttly's pigeon
4th Sep 2007, 22:43
pressed_on, 45k higher than a first year F/O base salary? - yes. Higher than a first year F/O total? - no.

fly real fast
4th Sep 2007, 23:21
ZKSUJ: All the guys/gals I know to have gone through Sunair have moved on to bigger and better things. Any twin operation is fine. I don't think anybody cares much where you get your hours as long as you didnt bic it :)

M14_P
5th Sep 2007, 04:18
I've heard good things about Sun Air.

ZKSUJ
5th Sep 2007, 05:07
Fly real fast & M14 P.

Thank you.