PDA

View Full Version : Is 30 too old???

dazza1977
28th Aug 2007, 20:36
Hi all,

I have a question that has probably been asked many times before, so I will keep it brief so as not to bore.

I have been working as a successful composer for the last 8 years but have come to a point in my life were I need a change for a variety of reasons. I have always dreamed that flying would be my ideal career but feel that I am too old to start training in order to eventually secure a job with an airline.

I have seen sponsorship offers with the a flying School Cabair. You have to teach with them for two years upon qualifying as an instructor, and then pay what ever fees would be left to fully qualify/train to make the transiton to airline pilot once teaching duties are up. Not even sure if this is a good route??

Am I wasting my time thinking about this as a career at 30? or should I follow my other choice of training in Law and eventually fly for fun? I am determined and dogged. I have to be coming from the job I am currently in.

All comments and advice really gratefully received as this is a real career change in my life that I will probably only get one shot at??

Dazza (sorry for the ramble!)

Niagra1
28th Aug 2007, 20:41
Hello there!

I am sure there will be plenty of posts on here, but i am also 30, like yourself.

I jacked it all in to go down the modular route, but at the last minute (long story) i was accepted on the CTC course going out in November to NZ.

Only you will know if it is what you REALLY want to do, it is by no means an easy industry to get into, there are plenty of threads on here saying the same thing.

I for one am going to give it my all, as i know it is what i want, and i guess it is like anything, you get out what you put in!

If it is what you want, you are not to old, in some ways i see the "extra" years as a bonus, more maturity, a previous career, worldly experience etc

Go for it if it is what you want (i dont want to be retiring at 60 with any what ifs!)

Cheers

Niagra1

(also if you have never flown before get a trial lesson in, and go for an assesment day!)

bluepeely
28th Aug 2007, 21:59
A good way of getting a job is having something that stands out on your C.V when your eventually trained and having your previous job as a composer might do that , it made me look twice when reading your post. You might be ****e at flying a plane but you'll get noticed a bit more with that behind you than say if you worked on the bins (no offence to bin men of course :ouch:)
Anyway just follow your dream:ok:

boogie-nicey
29th Aug 2007, 08:57
There are a multitude of threads on this subject with alot of goods and thoughtful comments from people. Do a search and you'll see how there are many in the same boat as you. Unlike yesteryear age though still a hurdle isn't the insurmountable one it was once. In fact with the market presence of the LCC and the desire to push the retirement age upwards it appears that the more mature ones amongst us are in with a chance. However that certainly doesn't mean it's all plain sailing far from it and you'll still find that you'll need to 'adequately compensate' for your age i.e. extra multi time, turbine time, additional post fATPL courses, etc.

At 30 I don't really think you have too much to worry about BUT consider this. You eventually get going at 31 and qualify at 33 (smiles all round and feeling like a winner) only to find the industry going south because the economy and/or a new conflict in the Middle East. Things don't recover for another 4 years before the first signs of a recovery that makes you 37 maybe more .... Thus it's not necessarily just "how long will it take me to train", there are other extranous factors too that you need to keep an eye on. If you want to do it, research properly when goinf around to visit flight establishments. When listening to the sales pitch try not to become a rabbit dazzled by oncoming traffic that's where reality and dreamland begin to delaminate.

Just a few thoughts hope that helps.

WelshRambler
29th Aug 2007, 10:11
I took my first flying lesson at 35, and (due to rapid expansion rather than any skill on my part I might add) I'm on the cusp of starting my first commercial job at the tender age of 39. I used the modular route and spent over a year instructing.

I too was worried about my age, but if the market is there, age shouldn't be too much of a factor for you. I relieved to get in before the big four-oh though.

The hardest bit is deciding to do it. Once you do, just go all out for it. It requires a lot of hard work, but if I can get there - a young 'un like you should be okay!

Good luck with whatever you do!:)

dazza1977
29th Aug 2007, 15:00
Hi peeps,

Many thanks for your comments and it is very much appreciated. It has given me much to think about and is reassuring to know that although hard work (isn't any rewarding job though?) and needs a dash of luck I could have a future as a pilot!

Regards

Dazza

boogie-nicey
29th Aug 2007, 15:35
Please remember 'Dazza' that you only have a chance and at best a fighting chance of becoming an airline pilot. I wouldn't want you to get carried away too soon besides you also need to ask yourself an uncomfortable question what would you do now that you're +3 years older and no pilot job? Would you return to your original career just scrimp and get by doing menial work here and there because you burnt your bridges (unintentionally of course) when you decided to go for it.

Would you maybe become a career instructor teaching all advanced ratings and the like or supplement it with another ground based career during the week. In other words yes you did get stuck into aviation but just not to the extent you had originally envisaged.

Just a thought and hope you won't think I'm raining on your parade or dissuading you from becoming a pilot just want to arm you with as much information as possible from the start.

If you can live with these hard questions above then you'll love the easier questions "which job offer shall I choose?" :ok::ok::p

Good luck my friend.

dazza1977
29th Aug 2007, 16:03
Hi boogie-nicey, thank you for your honest comments - that is after all why I have posted on this forum to hopefully get some genuine advice. I have no illusions that this industry is easy even for a young student fresh from uni etc, who is far more appealing than I. It is however reassuring to know that there is a small possibility for someone of my age. The career I will be coming from is probably just if not more competitive than the airline industry, so I have no bleary eyes about the risks involved and how focussed and determined one must be in order to achieve their goals.

If my research proves that all routes lead to just a career as a teacher in the air then I will pursue this no further. If however I feel there is a possibility that someone of 30 may be able to get work on a flight deck then there is a chance I may take the gamble. But I never do anything without good research.

Regards

boogie-nicey
29th Aug 2007, 16:21
Well on an up lifting note you've got a better chance than just 'small' just keep your eyes and ears open as you go along. I'mm sure you'll be fine. There are advantages and disadvantages of being 21 or 39, the obvious age issue and associated life commtiments but also the probability of having some cash saved up somewhere to partially fund your training or even pay for all of it. Compare that to the new young chappie who looks mostly to his/her parents though some still make great sacrifices to get the money themselves.

Come on get on with the research I know you want to and are probably eager to get going. What school are you going to wander down to first .... ? :p

mickeyp
29th Aug 2007, 17:56
Some thought provoking points in this thread

Im shortly looking to start at a modular training provider and think the main point worth mentioning here is that it isnt just about hard work ... although im sure the path to the Airlines is incredibly hard work, it is also about making your own luck too, and not getting downheartened when the job applications appear to be getting you nowhere

mackey
29th Aug 2007, 21:42
Hi there,
I started the ATPL's when I was 34 and got my first commercial job last September at 37 with Jet2 flying 757's:ok:.
Went the modular route and found it more relaxed ,(even though those bloody exams were a pain in the arse:ugh:),but learning is at a steady rate rather than at an accelerated one(integrated), which I found better for me.
Obviously it's completely your choice to become a pilot, don't be under any illusion of the study thats involved for the written exams,as all of us have found out. Do some more research on both modular and integrated.
I studied for the ATPL's and the IR at BCFT and found them great and very patient!!, did the hour building and the CPL in Florida with EFT,better weather and cost less than the UK.
Perhaps you could decompose from your composing!!:ok:
Hope some of this ramble helps.
M.

BClouds
30th Aug 2007, 05:32
Good luck, you can still have some 15 years of work at the biggest companies

Nick C.
30th Aug 2007, 08:56
From this thread it would seem unliley that one could start at 40 even though I'd really love to. Anyone started that late ?

Is there a legal or typical upper age limit for first officer ?

Nick

boogie-nicey
30th Aug 2007, 09:18
Nick, people have indeed gotten jobs at 40 and above however the detail is in the background. Perhaps they already had some instructional time or more importantly contacts (that really is the ace card).

Nevertheless yes you can become a pilot post 40 but as what airlines? Well still maybe especially if you have some good time under your belt both quality and quantity (turbine would sure help). Maybe turboprops or an advanced ratings instructor (once again you'd have to work your up through that chain). So yes it is possible but at what price and in the end to what extent?

For some who have an established profession/career and some financial security they can afford to take this option for others how are on the edge and strain their neck to stay above the water line it would be somewhat risky. Though that doesn't disclude them neither it just promotes the level of risk that's all. Factor in the state of the industry against the backdrop of the general economy's influence and you could find yourself qualified and met with a downturn at the wrong time. With a younger age brackett you could weather the storm so to speak and once the industry re-awakens in a few years 'get the last bus home' before you get too old.

However a lot of that commentary above is more anchored from yesteryear and with such dynamic changes brought to the industry by the LCCs I see many sacred cows being slayed. Couple with that the exploding aviation growth in India and China (where millions that used the train system religously can turn a few days journey across the country into a few hours) you may even have to work overseas but hey is that really bad?