PDA

View Full Version : SkyTrace v's NFC for ppl completion

eddiec
28th Aug 2007, 18:54
Anyone got any thoughts on using Skytrace or National flight centre at weston for completing my PPL? I have 23 hrs and 6 of the exams passed.
I flew a pa 28 in san diego for those hours so Im wondering whats best, skytrace= Robin 160, NFC= c150. I flew a few hours with nfc a few years back and found it ok but having said that I didnt have anything to compare it to!
The other option I have is to wait till January and go back to the states but I have mixed feelings about learning there.
Any sugestions anyone?

dublinpilot
29th Aug 2007, 09:02
SkyTrace.

My experience with NFC (as a renter) was a disaster. 50% of the time I turned up, the aircraft wasn't available (away over night with someone else, or gone tech) despite my booking. The other 50% of the time I'd have to wait 1.5hours + for it to return from the previous flight, and was told to come back ASAP as it was already running late!

That's about 3 years ago, but from what I hear, not much has changed in that regard.

I'd go with SkyTrace who I've heard good things about, but have no first hand experience of.

dp

eddiec
29th Aug 2007, 17:41
Thanks for that DP. Also looking at pilot training college in waterford.Any suggestions appreciated

dublinpilot
29th Aug 2007, 19:12
I don't think you should be considering both Weston & Waterford, unless you live 1/2 way between the two! They are quite far apart, and you will be looking at many cancelled lessons over the winter due to weather. Pick whichever airport is closer to you, and look at the schools based on whichever airport that is.

Do PTC do PPL courses? I thought they were all commericals now?

dp

eddiec
30th Aug 2007, 19:53
I live nearer weston than waterford but my time is flexible and i could stay in waterford for days or a week at a time and get a few hours a day in if the weather is ok. But having said all that, I think your right about ptc, looks like they are commercial only now!

Lee-a-Roady Moor
6th Sep 2007, 09:58
"My experience with NFC (as a renter) was a disaster."

Do SkyTrace rent aircraft?

eddiec
7th Sep 2007, 17:36
Not sure lee roady but Im flying with them on monday and will ask.
They have Robin 160a's, 400's and a piper warrior. Im going for a spin in the warrior:}

eddiec
12th Sep 2007, 20:52
Well I flew with Skytrace on Monday. Great flight , great aircraft, great instructor, nice atmosphere about the place.
Compared to the s**t boxes I flew in the states I felt very safe in their PA28 and hence, learned lots in the hour I was flying. So far, so good then!
Lee a roady, to answer your question, they will rent you an aircraft but you have to have about 5 hrs instruction with them first.
The Robins they have look lovely too.

Dct_Bombi
2nd Oct 2007, 14:56
I will drop into them soon, but in the mean time can you tell me their rates for rental on the robins and warrior and the instructor rates. Can you confirm there is no membership or joing fee for skytrace? Whats the instructors experience level like? any social scene, or just busy with those coming and going?

bigpizza
14th Nov 2007, 11:10
Skytrace in Weston does PPL training. (www.skytrace.ie)

Pilot Training College in Waterford does Commercial Training which includes a PPL section at the start of the course, obviously. (www.ptc.ie)

Not 100% sure if you can do a PPL in Waterford on it's own, as you would do in Weston. Best to call them to check. My feeling is that PTC is commercial only.

In any case, my experience of Skytrace and PTC in Waterford is nothing but good. Very professional, pleasant pilots and new, clean planes, especially the new Robin's.

Skytrace have also moved into brand new offices in the new Weston Airport Terminal Building. The old entrance into Weston Airport is now closed. All change at Weston these days.