PDA

View Full Version : Radio Interference

olliethegreat1
27th Aug 2007, 16:39
Hiya,

Wondering if anyone can offer any advice. We fly an elderly aircraft with no internal electrics fitted. We use one of two handheld radios (Icoms) connected to the a/c arial (using radio arial makes no difference), with a removable battery. We seem to pick up large amounts of interference, suspected from the ignition system, sometimes to an extent where nothing can be heard in the aircraft or on the ground. :ugh:

Has anybody had any similar problems? Any idea's on solutions or perhaps you know of somewhere who may be able to fit a simple radio with some sort of power source??

Please help :confused:

Regards Ollie

magpienja
27th Aug 2007, 20:06
Hi Ollie I use an icom A20 an old one in my microlight on the aircrafts antenna,

When I 1st fitted the radio the interference was very bad,

I found that resistor spark plugs were available for my engine, once fitted the interference was greatly reduced,

My radio also has an ANL button has yours, that takes the finally bit of interference away on mine.

Nick.

bigdunk
28th Aug 2007, 18:18
HI you may find that the engine or ariel is not bonded correctly if the aircraft is wood and fabric you may need to bond it to the frame of the engine. Normally all of the ignition system is also bonded you may find a wire loose or off.

L-Band
28th Aug 2007, 18:41
More than likely you have non screened plug leads, depending on the engine fitted. Try getting screened leads also make sure the switch leads are screened from the mag to the switch.

L:ok: