PDA

View Full Version : RAF Pilot Numbers...?

dave_perry
27th Aug 2007, 15:03
I have been told that the RAF recruit 500 pilots a year. When I was at RAF alley the other week, a pilot told me that there was only four people on his course. Every new course comes every three months. If this is the case then only 16 fast jet crew go through a year excluding failures.

I have also been told that 50% of all pilots have the capability to go on to the FJ side of flying in the RAF. That makes 32 a year. This cant be correct can it?

Any corrections or final figures on pilots, commissions and applications would be much appreciated.

Dave

dave_perry
27th Aug 2007, 15:27
Also is there a website that can confirm this?

PMA's Toy
27th Aug 2007, 15:36
Why are you so bothered; if you're keen on joining, you only need one.

I'm sure we recruit something closer to 120 a year, and aim to produce something like 40 fast jet pilots into productive service in a year.

Valley courses start something like every 8 weeks, and if it was a course of 4 it was probably a 19 Sqn course. They're smaller, because a lot of RAF guys go to NFTC instead, not to mention poor creamies.

RODF3
27th Aug 2007, 16:49
have also been told that 50% of all pilots have the capability to go on to the FJ side of flying in the RAF. That makes 32 a year. This cant be correct can it?

They may have the capability but if the service need is elsewhere that is where they will go. There are other pilots than FJ.
DHFS are putting about 6-8 cse a year through with 12 pilots on each. So that accounts for a fair percentage of the leftovers ( excuse the phrase!).

dagowly
27th Aug 2007, 21:06
where's the irony?

TorqueOfTheDevil
27th Aug 2007, 21:15
I have been told that the RAF recruit 500 pilots a year

By whom? Be very wary of believing everything you hear...

It may be that the RAF invites 500 candidates a year to OASC, but they certainly don't take on 500 pilots a year! For a start, there wouldn't be enough slots at IOT for all of them - even if all IOT courses comprised all pilots and no other branches! - and secondly, taking 500 a year would increase pilot numbers to a level the RAF can only dream of...even with the current PVR rates, we're not losing 500 a year!

Seldomfitforpurpose
27th Aug 2007, 21:19
5 posts then spelling advice.............some folk need to get out a bit more :p

Hummingfrog
27th Aug 2007, 21:59
RAF Valley has in fact been renamed - it is now Angelsey Airport as sign posted off the A55. Flights to Cardiff a speciality!!

HF

TorqueOfTheDevil
27th Aug 2007, 22:01
Brilliant idea AIDU!

Roll on RAF rize orton, RAF euchars et al.

Was there ever an RAF Scunthorpe?:p

As for 'Anglesey Airport' - sounds like the Welsh Assembly getting delusions of importance/adequacy again, much like when they decided to number all the junctions on the A55 but numbered them back to front! To$$ers!

Hummingfrog
27th Aug 2007, 22:11
oops and my mum was Welsh as well look you!

Len Ganley
27th Aug 2007, 22:31
500 pilots a year??????

Have we got enough aircraft for them all??????:confused:

teeteringhead
28th Aug 2007, 09:35
Or you could call it Y Fali like the druids do, that'd save ink........

...no it wouldn't - you have to have it in both tongues....:E

dave_perry
28th Aug 2007, 11:00
Shemy. Why do you think numbers will increase. Also what about all the typhoons the RAF have on order. 232 a serving engineer told me. This would surely increase squadrons and pilots.

*Sorry for the spelling mistake but obviously its made alot of conversation about letters rather than number :confused: lol

Wader2
28th Aug 2007, 12:07
Dave,

Shemy could be anticipating a higher level of exits.

As for Typhoon numbers increasing that is true. However if the Typhoon number increase is matched by the Jaguar and F3 runout then some of the increased Typhoon seats will already be filled by those pilots who remain.

The 120 figure already mentioned is the annual quota for 07/08. This will be re-assessed later this year to match the actual in-to-productive service numbers from 04/05 and the expected retirements in say 09/10.

A shortage today cannot be addressed by a rapid increase in recruitment as that shortage might evaporate of its own accord by 2010. For instance there may be a smaller number needed in 3 years time or more pilots may remain in-service.

Gainesy
28th Aug 2007, 12:09
Was there ever an RAF Scunthorpe?

No, but RAF Spitalgate came close.:)

philrigger
28th Aug 2007, 12:45
;)

AIDU

Actually it's Anglesey or Maes Awyr Môn but we wont go there.

I wont go anyway near the place !!!!!

'We knew how to whinge but we kept it in the NAAFI bar.'

Wader2
28th Aug 2007, 12:51
No, but RAF Spitalgate came close.:)

That with or without the "S"?

Gaydon?

mutleyfour
28th Aug 2007, 14:18
I think this coming years could be boosted by some pongo mates jumping ship!