View Full Version : Southwest Airlines pay?

stator vane
25th May 2001, 23:25
interviewed in Dallas May 23rd.

for damage control, can anyone tell me what the first year pay might be and where is the junior base is?

and maybe the pay for the second year?

Thanks.

Kool-Aid
26th May 2001, 02:21
About $37K first year. $63K second year. Junior base is Oakland.

You can make more if you fly on your days off.

Good luck :)

TR4A
26th May 2001, 02:29
As of 1 Sept 2001 1st year about $37.49/hr, $32.90/Trip (a standard trip is 243nm Dallas Love Field to Houston Hobby Airport, this is from the old days when we flew from Dallas to Houston to San Antonio. LAX to Kansas City pays 4.0 Trips.)

2nd year about $63.24/hr, $55.51/Trip

During first year extra flying from scheduling is paid at 2nd year pay.

FAR limits apply 30 hrs in 7 days, 100 hrs/month, 1000 hrs/year.

LevelFive
26th May 2001, 07:15
Stator,

The numbers Kool-Aid & TR4A gave are correct. First year $37.49/hr X 1,000 hours = $37k. Second year $63.24/hr X 1,000 hours = $63K.

I am surprised you interviewed without knowing what the pay is. Why are you not interested in pay beyond year two? Are you 58 years old?

BP
26th May 2001, 16:08
Not to argue the point, but you can't just use (hrly rate) x (1000 hrs) = yearly income at SWA, as I'm sure applies at every airline. You get $60 something dollars/hr(2nd year rate)for any extra flying you do during your first year,plus a few stock options, which will put you more about the $45,000 range 1st yr. $65-75,000 2nd, depending on how much extra you fly. The junior base varies, but most new-hires have been going to BWI first. This might change with the new MCO domicile opening in Aug. Just trying to help you get the big picture on SWA. Good Luck-

[This message has been edited by BP (edited 26 May 2001).]

[This message has been edited by BP (edited 26 May 2001).]

visionQuest
27th May 2001, 19:52
Kool-aid

Hate to throw a fly in the ointment...
It is next to impossible to "fly on your off days" in the first year! That is unless you:
1. Live in domicile
2. Have no life that you wish to pursue outside flying SWA trips.
3. No one else with more seniority/free time outbids your attempt to pick up.

Reality - in the first year, you can expect a mostly 4 on - 3 off schedule. Consider that if you commute, one day on the front or back is also in domicile. That leaves just a little more than 2 days to take care of stuff at home and get ready for the next 4-day. Checking the open time, one would have a hard time finding trips that are small enuf to fit into your 2 1/2 days off and align perfectly and you are legal for...
and oh yeah, no one more senior outbid you for that trip.
It was my humble observation that one should not seriously expect picking up in the first year as an income supplement except possibly for the month one's vacation falls in. If someone on occasion succeeds, then bonus!

Cheers.

------------------
visionQuest: ONE WORD!!!

BP
28th May 2001, 15:50
V Quest-
I think you are correctly summing up every new-hire's first few months here, as I'm sure is the same at most airlines. But with the monthly additions to the seniority list, depending on which base you stay in, you can hold a sched allowing for some open time in your first year. All I know did/do.We have plenty for everyone.Bases differ, I know.

BiDaBook
28th May 2001, 17:39
I hear the company is having trouble filling the new hire classes. Also hear we are 200 pilots short. Lots of opentime in maestro today. A lot of monthly OT did not get picked up and the LITT limit kicked in. If you want to fly extra it is there. Almost impossible to giveaway an FO trip though.BiDa

stator vane
28th May 2001, 19:45
thanks everyone for your responses.

am not 58, but stuck in belgium and trying to get back into the states before my two children forget about me.

hard to do while in europe.

interviewed because it is 737's and excellent company to work with from what i read, hear and see when i ride on them when in the states.

just wanted to know how bad the bleeding was the first year. most airlines in the states are hard for the first year.

i hope they keep their "no furlough" policy after Herb steps down.

thanks again.