PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair Open Day

geardown_flaps15
27th Aug 2007, 11:17
Hey folks,

Is there anyone else who has been invited to the Ryanair Open Day at East Midlands on the 1st of September. I am nearing completion of my CPL/IR and am looking to join Ryanair...i guess the open day will give me a better insight in to what the costs are involved and what Ryanair can offer me in return.

I found the details on the Ryanair website.

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/about.php?page=Jobs&sec=careers&ref=100001

coodem
28th Aug 2007, 16:58
I would love to apply, but I have only judt started the ATPL's, so I dont think I would be excepted.

How often do Ryanair hold these open days? Do any other airline do anything similar?

Kerropi
28th Aug 2007, 17:07
Due to the popularity of this event there are limited spaces available at the event and they will be issued on a first come first served basis. Tickets to attend the Cadet Open day on either the 1st or 2nd September cost £10 and the fee is payable at the time of booking. To book your slot on one of these days, please send a copy of your CV to [email protected] stating the date you wish to attend.

:mad:10 pounds to attend??? :confused::confused:

Lord Lardy
28th Aug 2007, 18:17
I never thought they would go this low but then it is Ryanair we are speaking of. It's beyond comprehension why anyone would even consider handing over £10 for effectively a tour of a building. It clearly states that there will be no assesments on the day.

Imagine a bank inviting recently qualified graduates to a tour of their head office and charging them for it. Their would be a public outcry over it.

Guys, I would seriously ask you to please keep your money in your pockets. You have spent enough on your training to date. Don't waste any more. Use the £10 to buy some stamps for your CV's and send them to proper airlines. Believe it or not there are a few still left.

Dear O dear what is this industry coming to. :\

Flying_Mech
28th Aug 2007, 18:33
HAHA Open day???

10£ for a open day.

They're just amazing.

smith
28th Aug 2007, 21:20
Do you think they will charge for coffee too?

Doug E Style
28th Aug 2007, 21:30
Yes, and probably for use of toilets too.

Pick me Flybe!
29th Aug 2007, 09:04
if they are not going to be doing any assessments, what will they be doing. Please dont tell me it really is just a site tour. Where is the info about what they will be doing on the day, i looked at the fr website and couldnt see anything????

Rest assured all ryanair employees at east mids training centre, Your christmas party provisional booking can be paid for after this weekend! :)

boogie-nicey
29th Aug 2007, 09:08
Very clever on the part of Ryanair, yet another generous slurp from the money drink! Yet there will be no end of candidates attending in expectation that somehow this is part of the formal recuitment process, not so......

They'll no doubt be barely any personnel to answer the plethora of questions from the assembled masses and those that do will be made to feel like 'they are the chosen one'. If you can't get a place on the assessment day at EMA through the normal application procedure then why would the open day help in any way to further your chances. Sure they might be one of two outstanding characters out there who might be remembered for some reason or another but on the whole it's not just the £10 for attending, it's the cost of travelling down there, time off from work and of course the pain of being hoisted up out of the archives of the common wannabe and then thrown back down again when you realise it meant nothing.

Lord Lardy
29th Aug 2007, 09:17
Sure they might be one of two outstanding characters out there who might be remembered for some reason or another

Yeah that will be the one who keeps dropping £50 notes out of his pockets as he stolls from room to room.

MrHorgy
29th Aug 2007, 12:16
I might go. Why I hear you cry?

£10 is 3 pints of beer. I can do without that for a chance to even get together with some fellow wannabe's and have a chat and a drink. Who knows what I might learn. Also, if I car share with some people from my flyingschool, it'll probably cost me a fiver in fuel. Plus I have sunday off anyway. £15? What's the big deal? I'm not being flippant, but doesn't seem a lot for the chance to ask questions and poke around the training facility. Might even clear up some of the hundreds of rumours I hear on Pprune everyday!

Horgy

potkettleblack
29th Aug 2007, 12:25
Problem is Horgy if you ask the right questions then your card will be marked.

MrHorgy
29th Aug 2007, 12:49
Possibly. But it's not like i'm aiming for Ryanair (wanna try other people first) so if at the end of the day I ask the questions they don't want asked, and me and the others in the room go away knowing NOT to spend the 20 odd grand on the TR, uniform etc, who is the real winner - us or them?

Horgy

ramshorn
29th Aug 2007, 12:50
Hi
I'm going to go to this open day.
Does anyone want to share fuel with me that lives in Bristol or somewhere near the route between Bristol and East Mids??:ok:

MrHorgy
29th Aug 2007, 12:53
Oh yeah i'll add anyone with me is welcome to a lift - bring decent CDs. I live Junction 2 on M25 so anywhere along there northbound or along the M1 is welcome.

Horgy

High Wing Drifter
29th Aug 2007, 13:03
Problem is Horgy if you ask the right questions then your card will be marked.Hmmm, I suspect so. As rather biased but not inaccurate version of my interview.

The scene is the room in a building near Dublin Airport with a 737-200 cockpit poster on the wall.

HWD enters stage right and proceeds with interview.

Stern HR Bloke: Any questions?
HWD: Are people subjected to extensive delays after the TR?
Stern HR Bloke: Grrrrr! PPRUNE is bollocks, don't go there.
HWD: Oh!
Captain Wag: Have you got a young familiy?
HWD: Yes.
Captain Wag: What are you doing here then?
HWD: But...
Stern HR Bloke: How much are you earning now?
HWD: £xxx
Stern HR Bloke: What are you doing here then?
HWD: But...
Stern HR Bloke: Bye bye

HWD exits stage right.

GgW
29th Aug 2007, 13:07
SO has anyone received a invitation yet?

ramshorn
29th Aug 2007, 15:17
Just got a call from RYR. Am going to the open day on Saturday.
If anyone needs a lift they are welcome as long as you live in Bristol area or somewhere en-route.

Kempus
29th Aug 2007, 15:34
Hi Guys,

Here's whats happening on the day. I've got assesment booked so wont be attending but here you go anyway!

Kempus

RYANAIR CADET OPEN DAY

At the Ryanair Flight Training Facility EMT
AGENDA

11:00 - 11:30 Assemble in the lobby at the East Midlands Training Facility. You will be
issued with information packs and split in to two groups, Group A and
Group B.
11:30 – 13:00 Group A (Classroom)
Group B (Tour of Facilities)
13:00-14:00 Break for Lunch (selection of restaurants available at the main terminal)
14:00-15:30 Group A & B Swap over
Group A (Classroom)
Group B (Tour of Facilities)

Ryanair Presentation covering:
· Entry Requirements
· Assessment Overview
· What Ryanair Offer?
· Type Rating Course
· Question & Answer Session
· Opportunity to talk to current Ryanair Cadets on the day
Tour of Facilities may include:
· Visit to a B737-800 full motion simulator
· Flight Crew Cabin trainer - Mock-up of B737 fuselage used for
Pilot/Cabin Crew training
· Fire & Smoke Training Chamber
· The Computer Based Training (CBT) Learning Centre
Ryanair Presentation covering:
· Entry Requirements
· Assessment Overview
· What Ryanair Offer?
· Type Rating Course
· Question & Answer Session
· Opportunity to talk to current Ryanair Cadets on the day
Tour of Facilities may include:
· Visit to a B737-800 full motion simulator
· Flight Crew Cabin trainer - Mock-up of B737 fuselage used for
Pilot/Cabin Crew training
· Fire & Smoke Training Chamber
· The Computer Based Training (CBT) Learning Centre

TERMS AND ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Cost: £10. Excludes accommodation and food.
Registration The full fee is due at the time of booking.
Payment: Payment is by Credit Card only. We accept payments via Visa, MasterCard and
Maestro.
Cancellation Once payment is received any cancellations cannot be refunded.
Policy:
Accommodation Accommodation is the responsibility of the participant. Ryanair discounted rates are
& Transport: available at nearby hotels. Please find attached local accommodation list.
Acceptance: Participant’s paid registration confirms acceptance of the above-referenced terms,
conditions, and refund policies.

CamelhAir
30th Aug 2007, 10:24
Welcome to ryr peeps. You have passed the first debasement test with flying colours. Now that we've conned you into spending £10 for an utterly meaningless (lack of) information day, you'll be ripe fodder for an overpriced TR, after which we can severely f**k you around and underpay you for ever.

As potkettleblack says, you ask tough questions here, you won't be getting in. And if you don't ask tough questions, the thing is meaningless as you sure won't get told the truth. Always remember that when dealing with ryr (and I speak with years of experience), you WILL NOT be told the truth. The whole organisation WILL systematically lie to you. Just look at how they treat both pax and crew, the whole edifice survives on lies.

The whole object of the exercise is to see who's easy to con. By attending, you tick that box. And believe you me, only those naive and easily tricked come here.
The end result: latest skipper pay offer EUR63k basic + derisory sector pay and no benefits. Are these peanuts really worth all the effort and investment you have so far made?

Luke SkyToddler
30th Aug 2007, 11:49
Jaaaaaysus ... a tenner to attend a marketing day??!! Just when I thought I'd seen it all :{

If I thought there would be any proper RYR management there, I'd just about pay a tenner to go along as a stealth infiltrator and give those w@nkers a few minutes worth of a piece of my mind. While I was there, I'd probably grab some cadets by the throat and shake them severely for going along and thereby encouraging them to get away with this kind of stuff.

Save your time and go to one of those free-holiday-voucher timeshare sales seminars instead :yuk::yuk:

boogie-nicey
30th Aug 2007, 13:26
Buy yourself a pint (or two) instead this evening after all you'll still hear about it on pprune from those that did attend ;) So you win/win :p

skyflyer737
30th Aug 2007, 13:38
I think charging 10 quid for an open day is pretty poor, but it's the kind of tricks RYR are known for. Paying 250 quid for a sim assessment is poor - but guys - if I hadn't paid that 250 quid I would still be unemployed.

Because I paid the 250 quid and yes, unfortunately the small matter of 22 grand for a type rating with RYR, I am now employed and getting great experience on great aircraft. Plus I'm earning more than my fellow cadet colleagues at BA within a few months of joining the company.

Some of you Ppruners are unbelievably negative. Yes, RYR are sometimes a nightmare to work for but the way you go on about it sounds like it's a total sweatshop and you're locked into a prison cell with no option to leave. If you don't like it - go!

I for one will leave before too long, once I've got 1000 hours or so on type - but don't knock cadets out there who have had no joy getting jobs elsewhere.

Yes, I also can't stand some of the management practices but at the end of the day it's better than having paid tens of thousands for a CPL/IR and stocking supermarket shelves for a living.

To all cadets out there thinking of joining RYR - be warned that it's hard work and heavy going and the conditions are far better elsewhere - but if you can't get a nice job elsewhere also bare in mind it's not THAT BAD at Ryanair and once you've got 1000 jet hours you'll be far better qualified to move on somewhere better in a year or two. Don't let the usual negative Ppruners put you off. Go to the open day, speak to the cadets who are there and judge yourself.

ramshorn
30th Aug 2007, 14:09
What a refreshing change! Thanks Skyflyer!
I am going to the open day on Sunday from Bristol if anyone is interested in a lift from Bristol or somewhere en route. Iwas supposed to be going on the Saturday but had to change that due to other commitments.;)

Lord Lardy
30th Aug 2007, 14:16
Plus I'm earning more than my fellow cadet colleagues at BA within a few months of joining the company

:confused: Yes but your BA cadet colleagues are not paying back £22,250 pounds for a type rating.

However I do diverge from the topic so I'll keep quiet now. The corporate brainwashing of these companies really does amuse me.

MrHorgy
30th Aug 2007, 15:04
But they probably paid £22,500 more than me to go to Oxford just for the priviledge of working for BA! :E

*back on topic*
As boogie-nicey said, I intend on making copious amounts of notes and putting them on here when I get back - anyone who wants me to ask anything particular (serious questions, not "Why are you bleeding us dry" etc) then add it on here and i'll try and get an answer. You can just buy me a drink at the Gatbash :} :} :}

Horgy

Lord Lardy
30th Aug 2007, 15:38
But they probably paid £22,500 more than me to go to Oxford just for the priviledge of working for BA!

Perhaps, but after you get your 1000 hours I've no doubt you will be applying to said company and your piers will at that stage be two or three years ahead of you on seniority.

Swings in roundabouts. However, if that's the road you want to go down who am I to argue. None of my business really. Just started getting into this pprune lark a few weeks ago to find some info for my unfortunate younger brother who wants to follow me into this career and it astonishes me to see where the industry has gone for wannabees. I'm not so sure you will look back in a few years and really say to yourself it was worth all the investment. Thankfully in my era, the notion of paying for a type rating as such just didn't arise. Either you all come from very wealthy families or you're going to be in debt for the rest of your lives. It is a fantastic career but believe me it's not worth selling your soul for! I would enjoy a conversation with many of you in a few years to see if you agreed.

CamelhAir
30th Aug 2007, 22:21
I for one will leave before too long, once I've got 1000 hours or so on type

Unfortunately for this plan, the "good" airlines are now following the ryr way. Witness the latest Aer Lingus news. Why? They feel they have to, to compete with ryr. Remember, you are prepared to work for less than an FO in a better company. These companies are then forced to reduce their offering the counter the competitive advantage you have handed ryr. It's a vicious circle and the rot is well and truly set in. Get it into your head, there won't be a better "company" if we keep handing ryr the advantage.

Lord Lardy, I agree with everything you are saying. I wouldn't advise anyone to touch this game with a bargepole. Most in ryanair would agree. Wannabes always think they know better of course - for about 6 months into the job anyway.

Diamond_Dog
1st Sep 2007, 02:17
And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by from this day until the ending of the world but we in it shall be remembered. We few, we happy few, we band of brothers, For he today who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother, Be he ne'er so vile, this day shall gentle his condition, and gentlemen in England now abed shall think themselves acursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks, that fought with us upon St. Crispin's day!

We would not seek a battle as we are, yet as we are, we say we will not shun it.

Thou hast me, if thou hast me, at the worst; and thou shalt wear me, if thou wear me, better and better.

CamelhAir et al, you're martyrs to the cause.. ;)

Soz guys... Way too much to drink..

Cry 'God for Harry, England and Saint George!' :p

MrHorgy
1st Sep 2007, 06:11
I hope you talk like that at the GATBASH! :}

Horgy

Diamond_Dog
2nd Sep 2007, 17:53
I fear I may only be at the Gatbash for the daylight side of things.. As night falls I have to make for the city.. Important business to tend.. ;)

All in all, a very informative day! Great to meet a load of wannabes and chat to the staff. The 738 really is the bollocks! Some of the T's & C's were a bit colourful but looking forward to the chance of getting through selection and having the opportunity!

Cheers one and all :ok:

MrHorgy
2nd Sep 2007, 20:01
Indeed, I enjoyed the day and seeing the facilities. It was a very upfront and matter of fact day. I didn't get the vibe they were trying to hide anything, but it was made very clear uniform, ID, etc was your responsibility, as were paying for TR costs etc..

It's a non traditional approach, I suppose that sits with some people better than others

Horgy

geardown_flaps15
2nd Sep 2007, 20:02
Is there anyone who actually attended the Ryanair open day? or are there only pissed off Ryanair wannabe pilots who failed the assessment.

I attended the open day and found it worth while. There was a huge turnout on the day and nearly everyone i spoke to on the day agreed that the £10 were well spent definetly value for money.

The Open Day was well run and was all tailored towards cadets and therefore it gave me a detailed insight in to what Ryanair look for. I very much enjoyed it, and look forward to joining Ryanair as a pilot! :ok:

Diamond_Dog
6th Sep 2007, 16:51
Hey,

Any lads or lasses been contacted regarding slots for selection yet?

Ta.

dartagnan
6th Sep 2007, 17:44
for £10, you will see a real simulator and dream about it for at least 3 nights.

are you going to give up this wonderful dream for only £10?

TolTol
6th Sep 2007, 18:54
What's to see there anyway? Its a sh@t hole with a few simulators. You can get pics of them on the internet. Dont forget to bring change for the coffee/tea machine!!

EspeinIsDifferent
6th Sep 2007, 19:00
Thank you for the irony guys...

Now seriously, has anyone got any news from the Open Day last weekend (1st September?) - if so, would be great to know

As far as I know, Diamond Dog, none of the ones I know has got any call/email yet - I assummed they were going to call for assessment soon, if they are recruiting cadets at that fast pace...

Diamond_Dog
6th Sep 2007, 21:02
Yeh me too. They're running selection 3 times a week I think. I guess they could be pretty stacked with work running those and then getting more in for the next available slots. They're probably booked up several weeks ahead.

Hopefully they'll start planning us into the system and we'll get some calls next week :confused:

jonjon
7th Sep 2007, 12:00
Hi,

did not got to the open day but a few friends of mine did and already one of them has been called for an interview in 2 weeks time.

J

Alicia.C
25th Sep 2007, 21:56
Hi guys!

Does anyone know if Ryanair is planning to run another open day at either NEMA or Dublin?

Thanks!

YYZ
25th Sep 2007, 23:46
Early november I think.

YYZ

mrwilko
26th Sep 2007, 17:40
I answered an ad in flight via a recruitment agency and attached my CV. This was actually Ryanair using the agency to screen applicants for the open day.
My CV has now been passed on to Ryanair so perhaps they are changing their policy again. What happened to the old CAE/SAS system?. I applied to both and didn't even get an acknowledgement

geardown_flaps15
5th Oct 2007, 18:59
Hi Guys,

I attended the Open day in September it was a great exprience. The next open day will be on the 17th of November 07.

The details are on the Ryanair website:

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/about.php?page=Jobs&sec=careers&ref=CAD00001 (http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/about.php?page=Jobs&sec=careers&ref=CAD00001)

It's definelty worth sending a CV to Ryanair to express you interest in attending the Open Day that's if you're serious about a career with Ryanair.

I know alot of people who attended the Open day with me in September and have been offered a job. Definetly a great result!

Fireboy
9th Oct 2007, 20:43
I don't agree with paying £10 but I went last month, I'm pleased I went and asked the questions I wanted to ask and I got to ask face to face. The guys I spoke to were very up front about what you pay for and what FR pay for, I have to laugh a little a that.

In my opinion it gave me an insight and a chance to speak to people instead of reading a fair bit of rubbish that appears on prune! For those looking for that first job FR is worth a look as along as you don't mind a crap wage for the first 6 months and paying £20k for a TR.:ok:
Best of luck guys

dartagnan
9th Oct 2007, 21:25
sure, nobody mind to be paid crap and pay for a type rating,we are all excited to sign cheques!!! but do they give us the choice? if you want feed your kids, you have to start somewhere.

be thankful to Ryanair if you can bend over and get a big "baton de berger" where the sun doesn't shine!

jeroen994
10th Oct 2007, 15:47
Allright, and what do you guys recommend to do? Apply directly with Ryanair or through Brookfield? And what about the open day itself; are there a lot of people who have been invited for the open day by Brookfield who also got invited for the assessment?