PDA

View Full Version : Do you do your recurrent training during your days off ?

smarties
20th Jan 2001, 14:22
For recurrent training, licence renewal etc., the airline I work for schedules it during our days off, up to 8 days per year.

Is it legal ?

What about you ?

Hung start
20th Jan 2001, 18:48
Legal? Must be where you are, or else your union has some explaining to do :)
Would never happen where I´m at!!

smarties
20th Jan 2001, 21:27
Hung start,

The last time a national (EU) tried to start an union (about 3 years ago), he got fired within 24 hours WITH compensation paid (a lot of money in fact), but got fired anyway.

So far no one has tried again...

Jetdriver
21st Jan 2001, 01:00
Days off are "Periods available for leisure and relaxation free from ALL DUTIES" !

Unless recurrent training is your idea of leisure and relaxation I should ask them to give you another day off.

For it to be "illegal" it would have to breach a statute in the country that you based.

Techman
21st Jan 2001, 07:01
It cannot be legal as recurrent or a check is a job requirement and therefore duty.
Just like a medical cannot be on a day off.
If it is done on a day off, you should be rostered a new day off.

If you can do those things on a day off, then you can also do normal duty on a day off???.

Jetdriver
21st Jan 2001, 13:07
Techman,

Not sure I agree with your comment that a "medical cannot be on a day off". If the company roster the medical then you have a valid point. Usually you are simply required to obtain a medical at your convenience. In this case you are not being rostered to obtain same, but have to show evidence by a certain date. In this case I dont believe that, although it is a company requirement, it counts as "duty". Renewing a license or obtaining a passport would fall into the same category.
My point being that unless the company required you to report somewhere on a specific date it could not be classed as duty.