PDA

View Full Version : Landing long at YCLQ

PindanWarrior
26th Aug 2007, 14:11
Anyone heard any further news on the C210 VH-TDV that apparently landed long and hit trees at YCLQ? Was in there a week or so ago and noticed the wing was fairly damaged.

the wizard of auz
26th Aug 2007, 15:19
sounds familiar. one of Phil's?.

AirlinePirate
27th Aug 2007, 03:36
Arr.

I be hearin' that this be happenin' around a month ago; that one of the wee pirates clipped a tree while taxiing, nothin' to do with the actual landin' at all.

Is it still there?

Wiz; Yarr. It be one of Phils.

Arr.

SmokingHole
27th Aug 2007, 04:37
Airline Pirate- Think you need to give the Wiggles a miss for a while:ok:

2p!ssed2drive
27th Aug 2007, 09:32
Here we go :}

Call in the Popcorn van.

I sense a few 'Professionals' giving us their point of view now....

sit back and enjoy the ride

*munch munch munch*

morno
27th Aug 2007, 10:16
On letting someone land behind you on a 900m gravel strip while you're still on the runway??

You're right, it's f:mad:king stupid....

Continental-520
27th Aug 2007, 14:52
letting someone land behind you on a 900m gravel strip while you're still on the runway??

You know about letting people in behind you, don't you Gringo? Is it "F:mad:g stupid" because you'd rather be behind them??

520. :p

Flintstone
27th Aug 2007, 15:18
Agreed, it's a stupid thing to do. Anyone supporting such a dangerous practice is either low time, hasn't been scared enough yet or has been scared but is too dumb to take the warnings for what they are.
Is it "Fg stupid" because you'd rather be behind them??
Damn right. I know I won't run into him, I never make mistakes:rolleyes:
* wanders off muttering "Land behind on a 900 metre runway? There are some f****ing idiots in this world":eek:

White and Fluffy
28th Aug 2007, 01:00
Whats the issue?

You should be able to pull up a 210/206 in about 300m, so that leaves 600m of parking space, lets say 550m so we have a 50m margin for safety as we are very proactive on safety up here. Should be able to park plenty of aircraft into there. :uhoh:

Departure works on the LIFO (Last in First Out) theory. The guy at the back turns around and takes off on the opposite runway and so forth until you are all on your merry way :}

morno
28th Aug 2007, 01:44
One of the main issues is that a) it's illegal, and b) it's a dangerous practice. What happens the day that old mate doesn't pull his aircraft up in 300m's and run's in the other aircraft, killing someone??

In accordance with AIP, it states:

An aircraft must not continue it's approach to land beyond the threshold of the runway until:
b) a preceeding landing aircraft using the same runway has vacated it and is taxiing away from the runway

Clown.

morno

Bula
28th Aug 2007, 02:17
Love the sarcasm :E

It would be so funny if it wasn't so true

PindanWarrior
28th Aug 2007, 03:02
Airline Pirate, after talking to people who saw the incident, and checking out the damage to the surrounding trees and warning sign at the strip, this was no taxiing incident. Lucky no one was hurt by the sounds of it.

trippple7
28th Aug 2007, 13:05
First thing: the a/c came to rest at the western end of the runway, which is the opposite end of the runway to which a/c hold for others landing behind them.

Second thing: the damage to the a/c was minor. The only thing that was fixed at CLQ was the fibreglass wing tip. It was then flown back to BRM.

Third thing: it's great to know what you guys thought happened. Guess only one person will know exactly.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
28th Aug 2007, 15:32
Thank Goodness it was only the fibreglass wing tip that was really damaged - apparently!:eek:
For a while in my life, TDV was my favourite C210, because it flew sooo well.
First Charter in TDV, KG to MOG return, NOV 1 1979.:)
Very glad to see it still alive and well and earning its keep!:ok:

Griffo

Flintstone
28th Aug 2007, 16:14
I think it's a great way to destroy more than one aircraft when the last one in has a brake failure.

Keep doing it boys, I could do with a laugh.

2p!ssed2drive
28th Aug 2007, 16:27
Gidday Griffo!

She's been around for a while. I remember doing a charter to the PUNMU community in TDV... (in the Pilbara)... Going back decades now.

When I got there, there were wild camels on the strip :ok:

Towering Q
29th Aug 2007, 07:31
Jeeez GRIFFO......Nov 79!!!:eek: Was that Transwest days?
I seem to remember TDV leaving the Goldfields in the late 90's.

Fred Gassit
29th Aug 2007, 07:48
Yep and it was around then that I had a brake fire/failure in it....among other things, I'm surprised the law of averages hasn't caught up with that one yet.

milehighsociety
29th Aug 2007, 08:51
Hey guys,

TDV must have more lives than a cat....

I flew it for some time (2001-2004) and have heard from others that have seen it upside down on salt lakes and runways, half buried in the side of buildings, cars parked "under" its wing and another car parked "in front" of it.

Ive almost had a few run ins of my own in it..

These days, it flies a little crooked and somewhat slow.. but nothing ever stopped working in it, especially that venturi stuck to the side which made night take offs a little interesting : )

I am convinced that that machine will live to see floating cars overtaking it

I have a bunch of time in it.. and it didnt kill me once.. good plane : )

Fred Gassit
29th Aug 2007, 09:38
Sounds like this machine is worthy of a thread of its own,
Flown it 600 miles without a battery, nursed it 300 miles on "half" a magneto, I've forgotten more stories than I remember, it used to actually be one of the quicker ones, and this was after the inversion on the salt lake.
I think the fact she was stripped almost bare and thus light as, is what made it go so well.
You'd have to ask someone else about the night guarding it on said lake from the roo shooters...

Flintstone
29th Aug 2007, 10:06
Whats the issue?

I can't imagine. I must be a nervous, jittery old pilot who's lost his nerve. Pay no attention to me, you were right. It's perfectly safe. After all, nothing ever goes wrong.

Yep and it was around then that I had a brake fire/failure in it........

But that's ok. After all there's always the..............50m margin for safety That'll be plentyof extra distance for a laden C210 with no brakes, eh?

we are very proactive on safety up here.

Really?:rolleyes:

shnev
29th Aug 2007, 11:29
I flew it too :}

http://a145.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/121/l_6adf8473f9fe4734e220521c3455e560.jpg

AirlinePirate
29th Aug 2007, 11:30
Arr.

So it be seemin' that I was wrong. Aye, me parrot concurs. If this be a landin' incident, th' old vessel seems t' be havin' survived 't very well. Hardly surprisin', seein' she seems t' be havin' had more than th' lass' fair share o' incidents o'er a colourful past.

It be good t' see she be back in t' air.

Arr.

the wizard of auz
29th Aug 2007, 11:36
One of the first 210's I ever flew as well. was wearing different colors then though.
You'd have to ask someone else about the night guarding it on said lake from the roo shooters...
Yes, well............ I had to pay for that com license somehow. :E I was actually shooting in the area when it was parked in a non-standard manner. :}

RabidNuts
29th Aug 2007, 12:29
Quote:
"On letting someone land behind you on a 900m gravel strip while you're still on the runway??
You're right, it's fking stupid.... "
Not much choice when landing to the west, 'cos you're in the parking area!
Besides, I hate to nit-pick, but the runway's NOT gravel...
rN
more popcorn anyone..?

russianthru_thesky
29th Aug 2007, 13:12
Please, and could I get a coke with that?