PDA

View Full Version : Angolan Safari

MURLOW
26th Aug 2007, 13:37
I may have to go to Angola soon. Is Angola safe to get around, and is it possible to hire light aircraft and if so who from. Any advise would be grateful.

Propellerpilot
26th Aug 2007, 14:04
I have had to fly into Angola a few times with clients but can not really tell, because you do not state your locations you wish to travel to.

The first time up there I flew to Benguela - we were handled by an agent who took care of everything from immigration and clearing customs (our bags were not even checked) to transport etc. That really helped because of the language barrier - if you don't speek Portogese it's quite difficult.

Then in Lubango it was quite similar - just without an agent it was slightly more difficult to communicate. But I have never had to bribe anyone.

Remember that Avgas is almost non-existant in Angola. And get the proper flight clearances well in advance.

So my advice - have a contact at your destination, it makes your life a lot easier and safer. It is a beautiful country - just the cities where millions of people live in a dump... it's really f:mad: up - sorry no other word better to describe it. And you pay loads of U$ even for bad quality food.

international hog driver
26th Aug 2007, 16:28
I worked in Luanda for two years and unfortunatley for you I think the answer will be a big NO.

Safe to get around, yes. But you do have to watch your Ps&Qs and dont put yourself in a situation where you may lose something (wallet, watch, life) as everything left unattended is free game.

Flying about, if you can chose to, use Angola Air Services. I know the CP he is a Brit and they are good quality.

Self Fly / Rent forget it! There are a smattering of cessna bug smashers at the airport that i dont believe have ever seen a maintenance stop. Avgas is rare as rockinghorse ........ you know. Even all the locals dont fly there they all train in SA, Brazil or Portugal!

Have fun, In Luanda,
Rialto, Miami and Bahia, (food beach drinks)

Propellerpilot
26th Aug 2007, 16:48
Hog driver - check ur pm ;-)