PDA

View Full Version : Taxes Easyjet in Orly and GVA

abbotyobs
26th Aug 2007, 12:13
Hi,
I am a British Mil pilot considering the switch to the airlines soonish.
I would like to live in France but am a bit worried about the tax situation there.

I am happy to pay tax of course, its just that am I correct in thinking based out of Orly you pay UK income plus UK NI taxes, plus also french social security payments which is about 18%.
If so how can this be fair with the double taxation system?

Also, if I worked out of GVA, but lived in France would I avoid the French social security payments.
I did look at the French threads but my French is not good enough yet to fully understand what they were saying!
Thanks!

Dani
27th Aug 2007, 08:33
Easy Jet Switzerland is a different company than Easy. It has a different seniority system, but it has some exchange (although only in one direction).

Legally, you are obliged to pay Swiss taxes if you work in Switzerland, but it's not deducted from your salary, so you might slip through it. But Swiss Authorities check where you live and how long.

On the other hand Switzerland has a double taxation agreement with UK so you pay it only once, i.e., half of it in UK and half of it in Switzerland.

Dani

rubik101
27th Aug 2007, 11:56
Not quite right Dani, but in essence you have it. Any country which has a 'double tax' aggreement (180 or so countries at last count) means that if you live and work in one country, you will pay tax there even if you are resident and national of another. In other words, you pay tax only once, in the country where you derive the majority of your income. Double tax doesn't mean you pay twice!
Search the numerous threads on here to read more about tax in UK-EU etc.

abbotyobs
27th Aug 2007, 15:45
Thats true but I read on the EZY website based out of ORLY, you pay the french social security payments which are around 18%, this is separate from the double taxation agreement since it is not income tax, is it not?
So are there any Orly pilots out there who could explain, if they dont mind svp, which taxes they pay.
Thanks very much

Dani
28th Aug 2007, 02:33
Rubik, when you live in UK and work in Switzerland, you pay Swiss tax and UK tax, and with the double taxation agreement, you get the amount of Swiss taxes reimboursed from the UK.

Since Swiss taxes are much lower than UK's, there's always somethin left to pay to the British. The double taxation agreement is only here not to pay it double, not to pay less than any normal British citizen.

hth,
Dani