PDA

View Full Version : Jump a/c crash - Jacobs Well

puff
26th Aug 2007, 03:01
A WOMAN has suspected spinal injuries after a light aircraft carrying parachutists crashed south of Brisbane this morning, authorities say.

Police said the aircraft crashed near a grass airstrip on Pimpama-Jacobs Well Road, at Jacobs Well, just after 11am.

The pilot was taking four parachutists up for a jump when he encountered a problem with the aircraft and was forced to land on muddy ground near the runway, police said.

Spokesman for RACQ CareFlight Brian Russell said the pilot had told authorities he could not make the runway due to a partial loss of power.

"He didn't have enough power to land on the airstrip so he's landed adjacent to the airstrip and because of all the wet weather in the past week the ground was very soft and the nose wheel has dug into the ground and it's flipped onto its back," Mr Russell said.

He said skid marks indicated the plane then skidded about 30 metres.

A woman with suspected spinal injuries is being taken to the Princess Alexandra Hospital.

One other passenger suffered extensive cuts to their body, and the pilot has cuts to his head.

Two other passengers had minor injuries.

Police said the Australian Transport Safety Bureau would lead the investigation into the crash.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,22310088-3102,00.html

jbr76
26th Aug 2007, 21:35
VH-DQA/C182 I do believe .... Ch10 News (Brisbane) had exclusive footage on the 5pm news last night.

Diatryma
26th Aug 2007, 23:19
VH-DQF

Di

Field plougher
27th Aug 2007, 05:15
As a jump pilot once, nothing was better than seeing one of these clowns smeared like vegemite across the bluecouch!

Now, now..lets be civil. I too was a jump pilot once, and although the "lawn darts" (btw I like that one:)) could be w#!kers, I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

SmokingHole
27th Aug 2007, 06:18
Not just w&nkers, but dangerous too, opening low, low turns and swoops. Admittedly-done by a minority.

If i ever hear someone ask again "So why did you decide to jump out of a perfectly good A/C":ugh:

If only they knew how "good" the A/C was!:ooh:

mechchick
27th Aug 2007, 10:26
OMG firstly I have been a maintainer for the last 16 years with airlines and now a military contractor, a recreational pilot (decided that wasnt really for me as I could never get over this "pilot approved maintenace" - most mechanics shudder when you talk about that and the standards of some GA aircraft....), growing up around aviation and aircraft through a grandfather who flew at Essendon airport and other aviating relatives, maintaining warbirds at Point Cook for 10 years and getting to fly in them, and now a skydiver I hardly think the bleating of one or two recreational pilots (they are usually the ones that bitch about skydiving the most) and wishing death upon anyone is actually called for.:ugh:

I love aviation in all its forms, doesnt mean I am a ****** (although I am laughing and waiting in anticipation at the responses this will get!) because aside from loving to go flying in an aircraft whenever I can as well as having a career maintaining them I know why I get out, its the arrogance of some pilots (not all of them have bad attitudes just some of you in fact some of my good friends are pilots) and the fact that I have seen some rather dodgy maintenance practices in the whole scary 4 months I spent in GA after the airline world (I also know some fantastic LAE's in GA) anywonder why someone would want to get out?!

Sure there are dodgy people who jump but dont tar everyone with the same brush, some of them might actually be maintaining the aircraft you fly in. Never knock something you a) are never going to try in a million years, b) something you obviously know nothing about(more due to arrogance)

1 person died last week in an aircraft crash - guess what, he was a skydiver firstly - I was lucky enough to have had him as an instructor. Didnt make him a bad person, and a lot of people here commented about how nice he was - wonder if he would have gotten the same reaction had it been a jumping incident?!!

Some people really need to learn how to build a bridge and get over things, I have heard it all at work trust me nothing worse than saying you are a skydiver to a bunch of pilots and mechanics who you work with, but they all seem to deal with it like mature adults instead of wishing me the worst...glad I dont work with someone with a bad attitude like that (and if I do actually work with you and you know who this is have the balls to tell me to my face about skydivers and how terrible we are!!!)

:=

mechchick
27th Aug 2007, 11:16
Oh it wasnt actually directed at you and your comments, but there is enough bad sentiment from other posters throughout this entire forum its a bit of a joke.

And yes some of the biggest bleats I have heard have come from recreational pilots, funny a few of the people I know working in the airline sector (engineering and aircrew) and the military dont seem to get half as excited about the whole thing!

Although it was amusing to hear one LAE's take on the whole jump plane serviceability thing and how most skydivers would be happy to never have the acft serviced just kept running like an old banger of a car! (Always amusing to be sent across to the hangar when our acft was going in for a SB or 50 hourly or the like to see if the acft was going to be available anytime soon!! - but thats the same as any RPT passenger's reaction to being told of a delay to their flight due to maintenance!!!!)

I hope the injured chicky on board all the best and a speedy recovery and be up and jumping soon

SmokingHole
27th Aug 2007, 13:36
I stand by my earlier comment. Idiots who push the limits of satety usually get their just dessert - even if it is only a bit of grazing or a sprain. This hardly equates to peolpe being killed. Thankfully there is rarely a third party involved. Just the w&nkers and the ground.

As for "Backpeddaling"- I don't think so.

If you can't build a bridge and get over it, cry me a river.:{

xxgoldxx
28th Aug 2007, 13:08
Ah Mr S Hole....

So now you're a big time player and getting paid for your superior knowledge and prowess.... what did you say when you asked for that skydiver driver job ?? was it something like "you lawn dart crew are a bunch of wa**ers but you need me so bad I can get over it" ??

How quickly we forget eh !!

SmokingHole
28th Aug 2007, 13:22
what did you say when you asked for that skydiver driver job ?? was it something like "you lawn dart crew are a bunch of wa**ers but you need me so bad I can get over it" ??

No but now I wish I had:E

BTW, in line with this thread, no one was ever hurt while in the aircraft under my control. What they do when they get out is their business.
I had one or two jumps myself. They were ok but not addictive for me. I have seen skydivers do all sorts of stupid things from standing near spinning propellors to attempting to climb in front of and over the leading edge of the wing on jump run - even lighting flares for a demo while still in the a/c! HELLO! Maybe it would have been different at another dz but I say again - the minority tainting it for the majority.;)