PDA

View Full Version : Turbulence

XL319
25th Aug 2007, 23:01
Has anyone else found that there has been a lot of low level turbulence lately? Had a few flights and been knocked around quite a bit. Yesterday was as smooth as a baby's bum but today was quite bad.

Anyone got any tips?

coodem
26th Aug 2007, 00:07
These turbulence by any chance seem to be worse when OAT is warm/hot and below 3000ft?

BackPacker
26th Aug 2007, 01:01
Flying over water, or above the first layer of clouds helps.

Also, aircraft with a high wing loading are able to cope with turbulence better, so if you've got a choice of aircraft on a turbulent day, this might influence your decision.

Chilli Monster
26th Aug 2007, 07:46
Anyone got any tips?

Get rid of the engine and take up gliding?

They're only thermals. Fly as high as you can, intensity reduces with altitude. Don't fly under any forming cumulus clouds (get on top if possible).

fireflybob
26th Aug 2007, 19:44
Am always somewhat bemused when a comment is made "Isn't it a bit bumpy today" when one is encountering what I would describe as light turbulence. I usually say something like "You should feel it when it gets really rough!"

Unfortunately we cannot see the air - if were in a boat on the ocean we would see most of the waves coming and be perhaps better prepared for "turbulence".

Also over the years I have noticed that some pilots are naturally better at flying in turbulence compared to others and indeed a few appear to be quite uncomfortable with flying in such conditions. Personally I quite enjoy it but on the other hand will take steps to avoid wherever possible so that the folks down the back don't spill their gin and tonics!

XL319
26th Aug 2007, 20:56
I find that flying a C152 in "light" turbulence, takes away the enjoyment somewhat, because I always seem to having to concentrate more and focus more on correction.

Getting above the cloud is maybe a good solution