PDA

View Full Version : Any one flying to Nepal???

Rotorman
19th Jan 2001, 16:06
If anyone is flying to Nepal...what does a guy do in the evenings???

Spearing Britney
19th Jan 2001, 23:07
Goes to Thamel - bars and backpackers, Tom & Jerry's used to be the place to be...

Oldie Volvo
19th Jan 2001, 23:43
Re: Nepal

Not been there for a few years but if memory
serves me right almost all the crew went down with Delly-belly. I'd stick to the main
hotels or hottest curry house in town. If you
can take some bottled water with you then do so, failing that use coke when you brush your
gnashers !

I wonder if the hippies are still there - I
don't think that many Ladyshavers are sold in
downtown Katmandu - still if you like your
women `au natural'. Seriously though, its a
great country, still a bit mystical and don't
forget to take your camera - there are a couple of pretty hills to the north !

Grandad Flyer
20th Jan 2001, 01:16
There are some fab restaurants in Thamel now. From most hotels in Kathmandu you can get a rickshaw for about $1 (though they will tell you its $10 when they realise you are staying at a nice hotel) into Thamel. There are a number of good restaurants, and the Irish Bar is good too. There is an upstairs cafe opposite the cybernet cafe, can't remember the name but they do very good food, particularly Indian. Never had any stomach problems whilst there, although I always use the bottled water for drinking (and hotel water for teeth cleaning). There is also a cinema over by the Royal Palace/ Durbar Marg area which often has subtitled films (subtitled in English) or even English language films.

ZK-NSJ
21st Jan 2001, 06:28
if memory serves me correctly, in thamel
there is the 40000 and a half foot bar,
if you have climbed mount everest, you
get free food and drink for life!

Bomber Harris
25th Jan 2001, 05:12
I was in the 40000 and half foot bar for a couple of swifties when a french geezer walked in and started getting lots of attention. Turned out he was just down off the mountain and was in to sign the board where the beefy bovril man had signed. Turned out to be a hooly of a night. Tom and Jerrys is good as already said. There is a bar next door to the irish bar (also upstairs) owened by the irish girls husband feroj, a local lad, which is good too. I stuck to the five star hotels for food but still got a dose of the galloping trots. The guys I worked raved about "fire and ice" pizza in thamel but i never tried it. Dont's eat at the airport....bloody dangerous. Oh..just remembered, there is a really good late night bar called the tunnel which is up a laneway, fairly close to the irish bar. Namaste......