PDA

View Full Version : JAA exams and medicals in North America

HVHmt
25th Aug 2007, 17:09
I am interested in sitting the JAA conversion exams and medical in North America, Preferably Canada. Does anyone have any information or experience with this?

hihover
25th Aug 2007, 18:43
JAA Conversion?? What licence do you have and what licence do you want.

Let me know and I'll try to point you in the right direction.

paco
26th Aug 2007, 05:20
The only place you an do the exams over there is in Florida at Bristow. However, there is a modular distance learning course nearly available - PM me for details.

Doctors should be listed on the CAA website, but the initial JAA one must be done in a JAA country (Gatport Airwick for UK).

Otherwise you have to do all the exams, even if you are exempt formal training with over 1000 hours multi-crew, plus a few bits

Phil

Chopter
26th Aug 2007, 14:05
Paco is right, the Medical can be done in North America, I am looking forward to hear more about the distance learning course...

Dr R Perlman
Mediservice
1405 Transcanada Highway
DORVAL, QUEBEC
Canada
H9P 2V9
Tel: 001 514 683 7877
Fax: 001 514 683 0202

Dr R P Knipping
Cleveland Clinic Canada
181 Bay Street, Box 818
Toronto
Ontario
Canada
M5J 2T3
Tel: + 416 507 6600

Dr I Forbes
St Michael's University School
3400 Richmond Road
VICTORIA, BRITISH COLOMBIA
Canada
V8P 4P5
Tel: +1 250 598 5676

Dr M S Rubin
International Eye Associates
550 Memorial Circle
Ormond Beach
FLORIDA
United States
Tel: 001 386 673 3939

HVHmt
28th Aug 2007, 16:49
Hihover, I am a Canadian ATPL(H), all requirements met to be exempt the formal training, though I want to do it right, I am going to go along with the program ( when available) from electrocution.

I don't want to incur the additional travel costs, if I can get the exams and medical completed near home.

hihover
28th Aug 2007, 20:28
HVHmt,

I'm afraid I don't see an easy way to do this. You have quite a lot of work ahead of you:

Theoretical training and testing - Basically you need to be assessed by the Head of Training of a school authorised to give the training for the theoretical exams. He will then decide how much training you need to do for the theoreticals. (How they'll achieve that I don't know)

I think your best bet is to contact one of the distance learning establishments and take it from there.

Examinations You then have to find a place to take the exams. The exams can be taken here in Florida but that would have to be co-ordinated through the CAA. I think there are 3 test sessions each year but there may be a numbers limit.

Medical You will require a JAA Class 1 and the initial through the UK can only be done in Gatwick as far as I'm aware. Even though there are AMEs able to offer Class 1 JAAs here in North America, they can't do initial Class 1s. Double check this, I may be wrong for an ATPL(H) converting.

Flight Testing It looks like you'll have to do a type rating unless you have +1000 hrs PIC and +500 on type, then you only have to do the test and not the training course.

FRTOL (RT Licence) I believe you are going to have to do this too as you are looking at having the licence issued through UK. FRTOL is a UK Licence, not a JAA licence, however, in order to qualify for the JAA Licence through the UK, you will need an FRTOL from UK CAA.

This list is just a guide to some of the hurdles ahead of you. You should have a look at LASORS, Section G in particular. Also take a look at JAR FCL 2. These are both available free of charge on the internet, I'm sure you've already got them.

I hope this helps

tam