PDA

View Full Version : do i have a FAR part 61 or 141 ppl?

martinvm
24th Aug 2007, 21:17
hi guys (girls too of course)

Was hoping someone here could help me with this question.

I took a ppl a while back, I know the school was approved to be an FAR Part 141 school, but as some of you know they can loose that approval from tim to time. So I'm just wondering if after taking the 141 program if i indeed was issued a part 61 ppl?? anyone know where i can find out??

Thanks

Martin

BelArgUSA
24th Aug 2007, 21:59
Martin -
xxx
Does it really matter if 61 or 141...?
The certificate is the same...
The privileges are the same...
xxx
You might also have enrolled in a 141 program, but in the course of the program, you changed and continued under 61... I think the only practical difference is that a 141 PPL program can be completed, and a PPL certificate issued with 5 less hours of training...
xxx
:)
Happy contrails

martinvm
24th Aug 2007, 23:55
well surely your right in what your saying.

why it matters? well for the pricipal behind it. Fact is that choosing a FAR Part 141 school you also pay for the quality and all. But if you in the end didn't get what you signed up for and paied the extra for then is it worth it?? i know if the quality is better then yea it's worth it. but if your paying via a loan or something then honestly would you feel a little cheated if what you got wasn't a part 141? but 61 that you could have taken for less maybe even next door to your school?? and if this also happent to all your friends then in the end who's banking of, of this?? the school, which hmm dosen't really seem too fair to me.. this is why i'm trying to find out what in my case i got.. wrote the FAA but there's so many ppl to go trough so was hoping someone in here had the answer for me???

Martin

martinvm
9th Sep 2007, 01:54
No I do not belive a 141 school is better than a 61.. that's not what I'm trying to say. so to make the question simple. you and i have our ppl, one of us went under the 141 program the other under the 61. Now we both hold a ppl, but is there any way one can find out if you took it under the 61 or 141 program?? mean if the school lost it's 141 license while you were there. then would it show up as you went under the 61 program...

know it's an odd question but trust me it would help me a whole lot right now.

and I'm really honestly not trying to talk bad about any program our students or anything like that..

Thank you all

julian_storey
9th Sep 2007, 19:55
If you left with an FAA PPL - it really doesn't matter whether your flight school was Part 141 or Part 61. Really! :)

Is a Part 141 school better than a Part 61 school? Not in my limited experience.

slim_slag
9th Sep 2007, 21:20
Part 141 relates to the school, not the student or the certificate. Your certificate would have been issued under part 61 no matter where you trained. The question doesn't make sense.

Why do you ask?

(and there is an exception to the above but I will eat my hat if it applies)

BelArgUSA
10th Sep 2007, 10:44
Martin /
xxx
The only way to know if you were graduate (and recommended) in the school student records as FAR 141, would be to see your application form that you signed the day of your oral/check flight, and that bears the signature of the instructor that recommended you. That document would have been given to the FAA examiner, or FAA designee. The school should have a copy...
xxx
Somewhere on that form, if I remember well ("Application for pilot certificate or rating) has a little "square" somewhere, which says "graduate of an approved or non/approved" training... or equivalent sentence.
xxx
And as I mentioned earlier, you might have got your training under FAR 141, but could have been graduated as per plain FAR 61... I think is just a matter of statistics for that school anyway. Dont be so complicated, my Great Dane aviator...
xxx
Like all our friends mention it to you, you PPL "ticket" is as good 61 or 141...
My son goes through training right now in Florida for a CPL/IR/ME, I do not care whether he gets his ticket under 61 or 141... The rental hourly rates and instruction hourly rates are same anyway, since I am the paying "pig"... I would doubt that he is 141 anyway, as I requested that he completes certain training phases that are not standard nor required...
xxx
:)
Happy contrails

IO540
10th Sep 2007, 14:03
It's the same PPL.

However, a school needs to be Part 141 to be in SEVIS which is necessary to issue an I-20 which is required to get the Visa for PPL or IR training in the USA :)

B2N2
10th Sep 2007, 17:10
Correct IO 540, the school needs to hold 141 certification, however still does not mean that all training needs to be 141.
The schools needs to be , the student not, just to clarify.
At a decent school it should not make a shred of difference whether the training was done 61 or 141.
Just a different box ticked on the application form.

englishal
11th Sep 2007, 04:28
The only advantage with 141 is that it enables you to go on and continue further training without meeting all the 61 minimum requirements for further ratings etc....I can't remember exactly but for example you could go straight on and do the IR without meeting the minimum time requirement.

The way to know if you did 141 was if you were subject to stage checks by the Chief FI. With 141 you have set places where you are subject to these stage checks and if the CCFI is not happy you cannot continue your training in other areas and must do remedial training until you satisfy him (or her). One big disadvatage with this is that say you had trouble with landings - under 61 you can have a break from them, go off and do other exercises and come back to them later on. Under 141 you must satisfy the CCFI that you meet the requirements before you can continue training for other exercises.......

It is designed for zero to ATP types.