PDA

View Full Version : 196 blank screen

Pilotdom
24th Aug 2007, 18:25
Evening all,

Ive just updated the software on my 196 to version 4.40. The previous version was 4.20. It worked fine previous to the update but now it gets to the Aquiring satelites screen and then the screen goes blank and the unit freezes. The only way to get started again is to remove the batteries. Im running a PC with Vista on, do you think this could be the problem? Anyine else had this problem? Ive e-mailed Garmin and will se what they ahve to say, but I thought i would ask here first to see if you guys can come up with any ideas?

Thanks in advance

coodem
24th Aug 2007, 18:34
I had the same issue when I updated my 296, I started to panic, got a PC with XP out and did it again, Everything back to normal.

If that don't work, can I suggest, assuming you still have one of your past updates. to run those again, not sure if it actually will let you roll back.

VISTA has got to be the worst OS ever, I never thought anything could get as bad as Windows ME

coodem
24th Aug 2007, 21:42
One of the supposedly "GREAT" things about Vista, is that is supposed to be able to be able to support/emulate the older OS's including various levels of SP's

I really doubt there is a problem running the updater on vista, if there was they could incorporate an OS checker in the exe, and block anything that is not supported. Just as they have done with flightbook.

This is not really the place to discuss OS's, so I appologise.

Pilotdom
25th Aug 2007, 05:04
Thanks Guys, Ill run it on an XP machine and see what happens.